Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

This is a discussion on Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..." within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by EvanS 1) Moo is gonna love having a pet like you. 2) No going back now... Welcome ...

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Re: Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

Quote Originally Posted by EvanS View Post
    1) Moo is gonna love having a pet like you.
    2) No going back now...
    Welcome to the fraternity of homeroasters, B'a024. I hope you find as much pleasure in the craft as we do. Don't be offended by EvanS's presumptuousness but, rather, marvel at his consistency. Once again he manages to be only half right (once you start there's no going back).

Enjoy and keep us posted on your results.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Yep. Nothing like a little coffee techno doublespeak contridiction to get Mr. Moo going. He hates it when we sound like him.

Welcome. You'll have an area full of chaff in no time. I gotta clean the chaff outta the garage before winter hits. No telling what could grow in the "downwind" corner where it all collects. No one mention this to the wife. Otherwise I'll be cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting the garage after every roast!
    Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Quote Originally Posted by Syekick View Post
    ... I gotta clean the chaff outta the garage before winter hits. No telling what could grow in the "downwind" corner where it all collects. No one mention this to the wife. Otherwise I'll be cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting the garage after every roast!
    The new gunga-shopvac I needed to cool coffee volume from the MooB'Q also works great in the garage corners. It gets a hold of chaff, dropped coins, sawdust, spiders - all kinds of stuff I hadn't seen in months.

Roasted my first ever batch tonight. House is smelling good, and coffee looks like it will be drinkable in the morning. I roasted Ethiopia Kembata Grade 4 Dry-Process from SM in my air popper. They recommend a full city roast on this one, and I went a little past that, probably a full city + or even a vienna (noob). I could clearly hear the second crack, and now I know what to be looking for. Cannot wait to drink this in the morning and roast again tomorrow night. And my fiance likes my coffee habit more than my pipes and cigars, so life is good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBonger View Post
    Roasted my first ever batch tonight. House is smelling good, and coffee looks like it will be drinkable in the morning. I roasted Ethiopia Kembata Grade 4 Dry-Process from SM in my air popper. They recommend a full city roast on this one, and I went a little past that, probably a full city + or even a vienna (noob). I could clearly hear the second crack, and now I know what to be looking for. Cannot wait to drink this in the morning and roast again tomorrow night. And my fiance likes my coffee habit more than my pipes and cigars, so life is good right now.
    I prefer to avoid the appearance of surface oils for most beans while others favor it (this far gone - heh heh.). You might find that some coffee set aside for a couple of days after roasting will taste much different (better, usually) after the 24-72 hour rest.

Welcome to the fraternity of homeroasters, 'Bongs. I hope you find as much enjoyment with the hobby/craft as we have.

I will save half my roast and try in a couple of days, and roast some more tonight. I did not intentionally roast as dark as I did. I was not real sure what to expect in the first go around. I made some pour over coffee this morning, and will probably look at the Moka tonight. But the initial test seems to be good enough for first try.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBonger View Post
    I will save half my roast and try in a couple of days, and roast some more tonight. I did not intentionally roast as dark as I did. I was not real sure what to expect in the first go around. I made some pour over coffee this morning, and will probably look at the Moka tonight. But the initial test seems to be good enough for first try.
    And.... ??

No longer a community member.

Name: Tanith
    Rank: Proficient at achieving desired flavor profiles; been roasting for about three years and have used several different models
    Roaster: Currently the GeneCafe
    Dream Grinder:Mazzer Mini
    Dream Expresso Machine: Modded Rancilio Silvia
    Favourite coffee bean country: Ethiopia
    Favourite roast/coffee style: Depends on the bean. Usually a lighter profile on the fruity Ethiopians, darker on the nice chocolatey Sumatrans.

Quote Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
    Name: Tanith
    Rank: Proficient at achieving desired flavor profiles; been roasting for about three years and have used several different models
    Roaster: Currently the GeneCafe
    Dream Grinder:Mazzer Mini
    Dream Expresso Machine: Modded Rancilio Silvia
    Favourite coffee bean country: Ethiopia
    Favourite roast/coffee style: Depends on the bean. Usually a lighter profile on the fruity Ethiopians, darker on the nice chocolatey Sumatrans.
    Nice to have you in the fraternity, Ta'th. Here's to yellow ceilings in the 21st century.

I see it has been awhile since new posts were made to this thread, but as a home roaster for 3 years or so I loved finding cigar enthusiasts who are also coffee roasters. I use a variation on the SC/TO that has served me well. I also collect a few vacuum coffee makers. Love a cup a joe and good cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumes View Post
    I see it has been awhile since new posts were made to this thread, but as a home roaster for 3 years or so I loved finding cigar enthusiasts who are also coffee roasters. I use a variation on the SC/TO that has served me well. I also collect a few vacuum coffee makers. Love a cup a joe and good cigar.
    Nice of you to join us. Here's to better coffee and fatter cigars.

Young Fish

New Coffee roaster here. 1 day old actually. Just picked up a fresh roast 8 plus, some sampler beans, and a burr grinder thanks to this forum. My first roast was absolutely amazing! I'm looking forward to picking up some great info as I continue to peruse.

Now off to finish this cigar, and my next batch.

~Will

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith View Post
    New Coffee roaster here. 1 day old actually. Just picked up a fresh roast 8 plus, some sampler beans, and a burr grinder thanks to this forum. My first roast was absolutely amazing! I'm looking forward to picking up some great info as I continue to peruse.

Now off to finish this cigar, and my next batch.

~Will
    Congrats on r-1, Will. I hope you find a lot of pleasure in this fantastic home craft. Or at least better coffee.

Puffer Fish with some spikes bogner's Avatar

Might aswell introduce myself also - although I'm mostly on the board for the cigar-talk

Been homeroasting for 4 years now, started out stirring in a pot, went to oven roasting which I did for almost 3 years with great success, and I have since taken the plunge and bought a Gene Cafe in february 2009, and it has served me well so far .. I don't roast much maybe a pound a week, normally a single origin for filter and a blend for espresso ..

my gear:
    espresso: Izzo Vivi (almost 4 years now - loving it!!)
    filter: Moccamaster CD
    french: Bodum stainless steel insulated thingy
    grinder: Macap MC4

- and ofcourse various cups, tampers and what-not
    you may think you can fly - but you better not try ..

Quote Originally Posted by bogner View Post
    Might aswell introduce myself also - although I'm mostly on the board for the cigar-talk

Been homeroasting for 4 years now, started out stirring in a pot, went to oven roasting which I did for almost 3 years with great success, and I have since taken the plunge and bought a Gene Cafe...
    Thanks for joining us, bogs. I hope you can find the time to encourage others to join in the sport.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast