Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

This is a discussion on Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..." within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; My sister in law recently called me a nut for going to the trouble to roast, grind and vac brew ...

Re: Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

My sister in law recently called me a nut for going to the trouble to roast, grind and vac brew a cup of coffee. Nice to see other nuts here. In hind sight it does not surprise me that a number of cigar fans would also appreciate the rewards of a freshly roasted and brewed cup of joe.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jumes View Post
    My sister in law recently called me a nut for going to the trouble to roast, grind and vac brew a cup of coffee. Nice to see other nuts here. In hind sight it does not surprise me that a number of cigar fans would also appreciate the rewards of a freshly roasted and brewed cup of joe.
    Glad to see another homeroaster posting his testimony to the true path of best coffee. What do you use to roast your own, Jumes? How long have you been at it?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Hey Moo. I think it is about 3 years now that I have been roasting. I am using a variation of the SC/TO roaster. My original SC went kaput and I was not as happy with it as I wanted anyway. I wound up finding a strange pan with an opening in the bottom already, similar to a bundt pan but flat bottomed. Never did find out what is was designed for. Anyway I bought a motor designed for wrapping line guides to fishing rods and built my own base for my Suppenton TO. Works well and since I am the only one in my house with enough sense to crave coffee it does just enough to last me a week or so. I also have collected vacuum coffee makers and still have a few I use all the time. I usually buy all my green beans from Sweet Maria's but am always looking for recommendations on other sources. Glad to run into a few BOTB amongst the BOTL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumes View Post
    ...Glad to run into a few BOTB amongst the BOTL.
    Have you developed your mokapot skills?

No expresso here. I am strictly a vac pot guy. Of course never say never, right?

My name is Arnie. I have been roasting about a week and a half. I use a Whirley Pop on a camp stove in my garage. My grinder is an antique wall mounted hand crank made by the Arcade Company about 80 years ago. Works like a champ, been using it for 3 decades. I use a French press for brewing.

This is so much fun! And the coffee is fantastic! The only coffee I haven't enjoyed so far is the one from Brazil. I roasted it lighter, I roasted it darker, but neither one is my kind of cup. The Puerto Rican I got from uroastem is fabulous.

I found a counter top convection oven on Ebay for 35 dollars and the guy selling it lives 10 minutes from my house so I won't have to pay shipping! I pick it up Monday and then I will begin assembling my SCCO. When all is said and done I wll have 2 roasters that have cost me a little over a hundred dollars for both.

Anyway, thanks to Mr Moo for the advice and expertise on all things coffee.
    "The sky might not be falling but the clouds are rolling in and freedom is on the run." tpharkman ..,, "The future ain't what it used to be." Yogi Berra

Puffer Fish with some spikes treatneggy's Avatar

Homeroaster here.

Been using a Poppery I now for probably 3 years. Two 4 oz batches usually last me about a week. I use a Melitta 4-cup drip at work, a Cory vacuum at home and I have a press at my parents for when I feel like coffee up there.

Quote Originally Posted by treatneggy View Post
    Homeroaster here.

Been using a Poppery I now for probably 3 years. Two 4 oz batches usually last me about a week. I use a Melitta 4-cup drip at work, a Cory vacuum at home and I have a press at my parents for when I feel like coffee up there.
    No such thing as too many homeroasters - welcome. Have a cigar.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I blame you Dan for getting me into the coffee addiction. When I first started reading your posts and coffee and such I thought,,,hey...I need to start doing more than just throwing grounds into a Mr. Coffee and drinking that swill. I have graduated into all things coffee except for home roasting...I'm sure in the fall I will be doing this as well. Hard for me to drink hot coffee in the summer here in HELLANTA!
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    I blame you Dan...

Hard ... to drink hot coffee in the summer here in HELLANTA!
    I accept responsibility for your actions.

Uh, I call bullshit on too-hot-for-coffee, though. Get you some ice cubes, a viet-dripper, some medium grind and a can of sweet condensed milk and quit whining. Make you a $5.00 Starbux iced coffee for $0.25 whenever you want. This can also be done very nicely with an AeroPress or mokapot.

I'm here for you, Cig'y.

OMG,,,you're going to kill me. You're going to fill the gap in the summertime aren't you? I love Frappacinos and now I am very interested in that recipe...viet dripper, moka pot/Aero press...looks like I have some homework to do. I have my French Press which I love and order all my exotic beans and now you are reeling me further into the beanery/coffee making machinery. Damn you Dannnnnnnnnn!

( PM me the recipe on the how to...as I am slightly 'tarded from this summers motorcycle rides..too much sun on the head )

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    I accept responsibility for your actions.

Uh, I call bullshit on too-hot-for-coffee, though. Get you some ice cubes, a viet-dripper, some medium grind and a can of sweet condensed milk and quit whining. Make you a $5.00 Starbux iced coffee for $0.25 whenever you want. This can also be done very nicely with an AeroPress or mokapot.

I'm here for you, Cig'y.
    Dan, are you talking about Vietnamese style coffee? THAT stuff is good!
    "The sky might not be falling but the clouds are rolling in and freedom is on the run." tpharkman ..,, "The future ain't what it used to be." Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    OMG,,,you're going to kill me. You're going to fill the gap in the summertime aren't you? I love Frappacinos and now I am very interested in that recipe...viet dripper, moka pot/Aero press...looks like I have some homework to do. I have my French Press which I love and order all my exotic beans and now you are reeling me further into the beanery/coffee making machinery. Damn you Dannnnnnnnnn!

( PM me the recipe on the how to...as I am slightly 'tarded from this summers motorcycle rides..too much sun on the head )
    Mindless. Delicious. Inexpensive. Go to any Viet restaurant and order one; go to any oriental grocery and a buy a filter ($4-$5 tops).

coffee pictures by xenawarriorcat - Photobucket

Uh, I call bullshit on too-hot-for-coffee
    Couldn't agree more Dan.

Mindless. Delicious. Inexpensive. Go to any Viet restaurant and order one; go to any oriental grocery and a buy a filter ($4-$5 tops).

coffee pictures by xenawarriorcat - Photobucket
    So, step by step would be helpful for this FOG...oriental coffee? I really need to get out of the house more.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast