Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

This is a discussion on Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..." within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; New roaster signing in. Name: Rob (aka "stummel bum" for those who may know me from another smoking forum) Rank: ...

Re: Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

New roaster signing in.

Name: Rob (aka "stummel bum" for those who may know me from another smoking forum)
    Roast method: Heat gun
    Roast style: Full city-Full city +
    Brew method: FP or Filter Cone
    Favorite bean: Costa Rican Tarrazu so farGrinder: Ceramic burr hand grinder (asking for a Capresso Infinity for B-day)
    I don't always smoke cigars, but when I do, I prefer Ron Mexico

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rejart View Post
    New roaster signing in.

Name: Rob (aka "stummel bum" for those who may know me from another smoking forum)
    Roast method: Heat gun
    Roast style: Full city-Full city +
    Brew method: FP or Filter Cone
    Favorite bean: Costa Rican Tarrazu so farGrinder: Ceramic burr hand grinder (asking for a Capresso Infinity for B-day)
    Welcome to the fraternity - hope it brings you better coffee and years of pleasure!
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Young Puffer Fish

I've recently gotten into roasting.. I bought a cheapo popcorn maker, 8 lbs of green beans from sweet marias and had at er. The first 2-3 roasts werent too good; too much heat, not roasted through. After that, with various techniques, I extended my roasting time and made some damn fine coffee. In fact, possibly some of the best ive ever had. I am kicking myself for having waited so long to get into this!

Best part is I get to smoke a nice cigar while roasting outside!

Quote Originally Posted by Cytosol View Post
    I've recently gotten into roasting.. I bought a cheapo popcorn maker, 8 lbs of green beans from sweet marias and had at er. The first 2-3 roasts werent too good; too much heat, not roasted through. After that, with various techniques, I extended my roasting time and made some damn fine coffee. In fact, possibly some of the best ive ever had. I am kicking myself for having waited so long to get into this!

Best part is I get to smoke a nice cigar while roasting outside!
    Welcome to the club! What's your cold weather strategy?

Say.... you're not another one of those Canadian coffee roasters who only got into it so he could have more posts so he could get pm's to discuss cigars, are you?

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Welcome to the club! What's your cold weather strategy?

Say.... you're not another one of those Canadian coffee roasters who only got into it so he could have more posts so he could get pm's to discuss cigars, are you?

What, there are more of us? Haha not exactly, though being able to send PM's will be nice. I am genuinely interested in coffee roasting, in fact more so than I am into cigars.

Dealing with the weather here is more of a challenge than I originally thought. I'm from the prairies and the temperature is all over the place.. For example, today it is supposed to be 27C (80F) and tomorrow only 13C (55F). Even a 10 degree Celsius temperature change drastically changes how the coffee roasts. In temperatures over 20, I have to constantly move the beans, blow on them and tilt the popper at an angle to keep things from heating up too much. At anything under 10, I have to put a steel bowl over the popper to get it to heat up more to reach second crack. The time of day and amount of wind may have something to do with this also, but it's temperamental and pretty difficult getting consistent results. Regardless, it's a lot of fun and it's a good way to learn how to 'read' the beans in terms of colour and smell.

It's starting to get really cold here unfortunately, so I may have to retire my popcorn maker soon. It makes much too much smoke to roast indoors, so my next investment in a couple months is a Behmor 1600. This has smoke suppression so I should safely be able to roast on my stove with the hood fan turned on.. I hope. I'm also thinking of setting up a ventilation system indoors so that I can roast coffee (and unofficially - smoke cigars) indoors!

Does anyone here have experience with the Behmor 1600? How much smoke does it actually put off?

... the Behmor 1600? How much smoke does it actually put off?
    I read they set off smoke alarms but, so far, that's just hearsay. I know folks really like them, tho.

If you find a cardboard box the popper fits in just so, with the lid partly closed, it will recirculate warm air and work pretty well down to freezing. Look on the internet - there are some example fotos. Mine needs to be protected once it got around 50*.

Does anyone here have experience with the Behmor 1600? How much smoke does it actually put off?
    Before you invest in a Behmor check out this thread, the 14th post shows you how to make a superb roaster for under 120 dollars.

For a first roaster, should I get the....

Thanks to Dan (Mister Moo) I have one and it is fantastic.
    Last edited by Arnie; 09-30-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: forgot the link
    "The sky might not be falling but the clouds are rolling in and freedom is on the run." tpharkman ..,, "The future ain't what it used to be." Yogi Berra

Puffer Fish with some spikes

New roaster signing in.

Name: Mark
    Roast method: Whirlypop and a Coleman stove
    Roast style: Full City or just short of it
    Brew method: French Press, always
    Favorite bean: Haven't met one I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by At Game7 View Post
    New roaster signing in.

Name: Mark
    Roast method: Whirlypop and a Coleman stove
    Roast style: Full City or just short of it
    Brew method: French Press, always
    Favorite bean: Haven't met one I didn't like.
    Welcome to the fraternity of homeroasters. Have a cigar.

Homeroaster new guys have gone silent. Wassamatta? They all going to STAR-bucks for pikeblend instead of roasting their own???

Puffer Fish with some spikes ggcadc's Avatar

I roast on a B1600, it does set off my smoke alarm, but I just pull that off the ceiling and keep going, it isnt thick smoke that bothers me like other roasting methods Ive failed at indoors. I find it perfectly suitable for indoor roasting, in fact, I think I'll go throw a pound in now

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Alright, resurrection of an old thread.
    My name is Carter and I'm a home roaster.

Name: Carter
    Favourite coffee beans: Kona, Yirga cheffe, Sumatra
    Favourite roast/coffee style: City+ to show off some fruity acidity, and FC+ for my espressos
    Roaster: Popcorn popper
    Espresso machine: Gaggia Espresso
    Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
    Coffee maker: Yama 5cup, French press, Melitta pour-over
    Dream roaster: Quest M3
    Dream espresso: La Marzocco GS/3 would be fantastic, but realistically an ECM Giotto
    Dream coffee maker: Hario water kettle

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18