Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

This is a discussion on Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..." within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by ferdelance hello, although i am new here i recognize many names i haven't seen in some time, ...

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Re: Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

Quote Originally Posted by ferdelance View Post
    hello, although i am new here i recognize many names i haven't seen in some time, it's good to see ya'll again. Introduction- i go by ferdelance on all boards, it's my namesake, LOL . i was a professional roaster before going into the home roasting market, i started my career in Columbia, SC, then went on to become a roastmaster in New Orleans, took a break to work for Peets in CA as a Trainer, before going back to New Orleans to roast more. then Katrina washed me out of NOLA and a good friend (Russ) called and offered me a job at Coffee bean corral , as a cupper, sample roaster, tester, network, computer geek. having nothing better to do i took it and we moved CBC to NC this past year, where i now reside. so in all i been roasting for now on 26 year, yep i am begginning to feel my age these days as well, LOL. it's nice to be here, i see ya'll already been discussing CBC. that's cool, i just want to come aboard a a home roaster, not as an employee of CBC. but i can tell ya'll what's going on from time to time if ya'll want. BTW the UPS check ship is off the site too buggy and as of last night the great pumpkin lowered all the prices for the holidays.
    Nice to see you here F'lance. How'd you find us rookies? You don't have to smoke cigars around this forum, but it helps pass the time.

Hope you can ease over to the Kona Madness thread and set things straight since you are the man with CREDENTIALS! There are some bones of contention being picked over there - your spin may add to the confusion or make everything clear as glass.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Young Fish

Mr MaDuroo,
    i am a conissisuer of the fine things including cigars, unfortunately my wallet is usually empty because of this, and by saying that i mean to say i smoke cigars, have for a while since my first trip to Cuba in 89, when you could buy 5 packs of davidoff #1's, so as to how i found ya'll someone reccomended me to join up over here. so i did. thanks for having me, and as far as home roasting i can tell you it is much differnt than micro-roasting(17-50lbs per batch).

Puffer Fish with some spikes bi11fish's Avatar

OK I think I am ready to pull the pin on this sled down the slope:

Bob
    Presto Pop Air popper
    Melita Bur Grinder
    Braun Carrafe coffee maker.
    Pick up Beans tomorrow at a local roaster.
    Feel free to suggest something to try a medium dark roast on. I will post results later this week.
    Last edited by bi11fish; 12-27-2006 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammer

There's peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in a Henry Clay, And a woman is only a woman,
    but a good cigar is a smoke.~ Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by bi11fish View Post
    OK I think I am ready to pull the pin on this sled down the slope:

Bob
    Presto Pop Air popper
    Melita Bur Grinder
    Braun Carrafe coffee maker.
    Pick up Beans tomorrow at a local roaster.
    Feel free to suggest something to try a medium dark roast on. I will post results later this week.
    Happy New Year, belated, and happy roasting.

First batch.

Roasted 152 grams of Brazilian 2006 Cachoeira Estate in an I-Roast 2 on preset 1, cooling with 3:50 minutes left on the timer.

I didn’t hear the second crack, though a couple of beans are split so I’m assuming I missed it.

This is what about, Full City+?
    [SIZE="1"]I cook, bake and brew... therefore I am.[/size]

Hello, I'm Anthony, started roasting 4 hours ago.

An I-Roast 2 was delivered today, with 2lb Cachoeira Estate coffee from Brazil.

After unpacking, reading the directions and cleaning it, I roasted 2 batches 1st 152 grams 2nd (2 Ĺ hours later) 150. Stopped both at the first sign of oil on the bean, used a scale rather then scoop to measure the coffee.

Coffee equipment;

Cuisinart DCC-1200 12 cup drip
    Melitta 10 cup cone
    Chemex 8 cup hand blown
    Barista espresso machine
    Bodum 10 cup French press
    12 oz Ibrik
    Toddy cold coffee system
    3 SwissGold cone filters
    Jericho bur grinder

I like coffee.
    [SIZE="1"]I cook, bake and brew... therefore I am.[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    First batch.

Roasted 152 grams of Brazilian 2006 Cachoeira Estate in an I-Roast 2 on preset 1, cooling with 3:50 minutes left on the timer.

I didnít hear the second crack, though a couple of beans are split so Iím assuming I missed it.

This is what about, Full City+?
    Nice job - looks great. Second crack is usually pretty obvious, but I'm not an IRoast'er. Looks like City or +. Drink. Advise.

If you aren't Barista temp surfing, pm me. It's a twitchy machine but there is a magic spot where you can get the best from it. I used one for a year or so - it CAN be surfed.

Puffer Fish with some spikes DudeGroovin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo View Post
    If you aren't Barista temp surfing, pm me. It's a twitchy machine but there is a magic spot where you can get the best from it. I used one for a year or so - it CAN be surfed.
    PM? Go public. I'd love to hear any advice on the Barista (I've got one also).

Dudeo
    I am captain of my soul; I rule it with stern joy;
    And yet I think I had more fun, When I was cabin boy. -Keith Preston

Quote Originally Posted by DudeGroovin View Post
    PM? Go public. I'd love to hear any advice on the Barista (I've got one also).

Dudeo
    As you wish, Princess Buttercup. How 'bout in a new thread? This is a little distant from roasting and the 11 gorillas who use "search" might never find this deathless prose to come.

Greetings Roasters and Roasterettes!

Here's what I've got to work with:

Roaster: I-Roast 2
    Grinder: Cuisinart CCM 16
    Beverage-Producing Device: Cuisinart Brew Central

I received the I-Roast 2 with an 8-pack sampler (Sweet Maria's) as a Christmas gift, and so far have been using the pre-set to see where it gets me. I just roasted some Guatemala Quiche yesterday and methinks the pre-set gave me a few extra-toasty beans, but I've ground some up this AM and will be sipping in a little while. They do smell wonderful, though.

Cheers!

Deb

---------------
    [SIZE="1"]How to remove images from posts, avatars, and signature lines: [/SIZE][SIZE="1"]CLICKY[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]When life gives you lemons - grab the tequila and the salt.[/SIZE]

Total "newbie" to home roasting, but a long time coffee lover. My only roast to date was Peru Norte Especial, included in a 8 bag sampler from Sweet Marias. Plan on doing another roast today either Nicaraguan or Guatamalan beans.

My coffee equipment is as follows:

I-Roast 2: First and only roast used the Pre 2 setting. When the beans carmelized to a dark oily state hit the cool down button and it was done.

Krups and Bodum grinder-very basic and gets the job done!

Krups 10 cup automatic drip. Just received a Technivorm Clubline 10 cup drip, which I have not used yet. Have various other brewing devices including Bodum French presses which I have not used in years; Moka Pot which I started used again, and the very basic manual pour-over filter cone.

Rob-aka PuroRob

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish hyper_dermic's Avatar

Names .Charles and Jessica

I bought the I-ROAST2 for Jessica for V-day. Slowly i have been taking over Muhahahah. Noone minds as i bring the various members of the household coffee in bed.

Still learning the ropes. Using a custom preset found on the web. Works nicely as i can hear 1st crack easily now... still working on differences between city, city+ FC, FC+

drinking Monsoon Malabar roasted to City right now. Not my favorite to tell ya the truth.. will try a darker roast next time.

Preferred vendor Coffee Bean Corrall.. better selection and excellent customer service. (faster shipping to my side of the country)

Preferred Brew Method -AeroPress and French Press. They are two very different delivery systems. Aeropress seems to highlight certain notes and mute others, as does the french press.
    I lean towards the AeroPress because... A) i prefer americanos, B)ease of use, C)Ease of cleanup, D)NO SLUDGE

That being said, I still have a cup of french press quite often.

Best roasts so far....
    Nepal Himalayan washed Arabica... this one roasted anywhere from city to FC has everything im looking for in a coffee. Sweet, nutty, earthy, dark, bright... everything hitting you at once! simply outstanding! the down side.. its a bit pricey at 10.50 a pound. Still cheaper than starbucks though.

Costa Rica Tres Rios - SHB
    this is my learning coffee. I ordered a 3lb bag at 4.70 a lb.
    So far i have done 2 roasts.... one just past FC+ (oils just showing on some beans)
    and one just to FC+ very dark, no oils.
    Both have been fantastic. I could drink this one all day. not too bright, fairly sweet, fairly complex, tastes GREAT in an aeropress lots ofcaramel flavor when pressed.
    Ive been side tracked by a few other blends, but will be returning to this blend this week to roast it lighter... next will do a city or city+ I still have a little FC+ left to compare.

Biggest letdown so far.
    Monsoon malabar. Looks funky.. the unroasted beans are BIG and pale. Roasted to what i think is a city or maybe city+. taste is only so so...
    not bright at all, not too complex, very earthy and bitter. (from french press)
    i thought aeropress would mellow out the bitternesss a bit...
    In the press the bitterness WAS toned down some, but still nothing really to write home about. I found nothing exciting about this coffee aside from its unroasted condition.
    Maybe it just needs some more roast time.

-hyp

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_dermic View Post
    Biggest letdown so far.
    Monsoon malabar. Looks funky.. the unroasted beans are BIG and pale. Roasted to what i think is a city or maybe city+. taste is only so so...
    not bright at all, not too complex, very earthy and bitter. (from french press)
    i thought aeropress would mellow out the bitternesss a bit...
    In the press the bitterness WAS toned down some, but still nothing really to write home about. I found nothing exciting about this coffee aside from its unroasted condition.
    Maybe it just needs some more roast time.

-hyp
    Monsooned malabar is one of the few beans that is really meant to be blended, as a SO it's really not at it's best. Try it in a blend and you'll like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    Monsooned malabar is one of the few beans that is really meant to be blended, as a SO it's really not at it's best. Try it in a blend and you'll like it better.
    So true for this SO; very nice touch to an espresso blend, too.

Welcome new Roasters and Roasterellas. TTGirl - I was worried if you were ever really coming to the roasting party. You have watched long.

I hope youse guys have as much fun and as much pleasure as I have had from learning to roast coffee, blend coffee and, finally, marvel at the results. It's a great hobby and the learning never quite ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo View Post
    So true for this SO; very nice touch to an espresso blend, too.

Welcome new Roasters and Roasterellas. TTGirl - I was worried if you were ever really coming to the roasting party. You have watched long.

I hope youse guys have as much fun and as much pleasure as I have had from learning to roast coffee, blend coffee and, finally, marvel at the results. It's a great hobby and the learning never quite ends.
    Blending is just fun.
    [SIZE="4"]Look! There are fish everywhere...
    [/SIZE]

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast