Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

This is a discussion on Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..." within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by Mister Moo Mel Update: he is closing in. Prepare to celebrate... ~ c(_) Yes, it's true. I ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes mels95yj's Avatar

Re: Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Mel Update: he is closing in. Prepare to celebrate...

~
    c(_)
    Yes, it's true. I have been called up to the big leagues. SC/CO for me these days. I made the wife come outside to witness my second batch. It's so nice to roast one batch for the week instead of spending all day with the FR8!

I'd like to publicly thank Mister Moo and WhoDat1 for their vast knowledge and helping me. For anybody thinking of this, if I can do it, anybody can!

Now, comes the fun part of "perfecting" the roasts.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post
    I've been roasting in my Poppery II for the past two weeks and I gotta tell ya - This is the way to drink coffee.

Been roasting the following -
    Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Wet Processed FTO
    Aged Sumatra Mandheling '04 Crop
    Kenya AA Muranga ľKariani
    Brazil Organic Camocim -Moka (Peaberry)

My wife and I each have a small press cup we use at work.
    We each decide what the day will bring and decide which bean to grind. The whirly grinder needs an upgrade, but it will do for now. Grind enough for a few cups at work and off we go.

I'm able to roast up to 1 cup of green beans each night if necessary and this will last at least 2 days. We try to let the beans sit a few days, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I just placed an order for more Brazillian beans -
    Fazenda Esperanša - Red Bourbon
    Fazendo Esperanša - Yellow Icatu
    Fazendo Barreiro - Minas Gerais

I think ResIpsa has his hands in the Red and Yellow as well.

Life is good!!!
    I do I do. Always like a good brazilian, and I'm lookikng forward to getting these ones in. Nice Score.

Root

Quote Originally Posted by mels95yj View Post
    Yes, it's true. I have been called up to the big leagues. SC/CO for me these days. I made the wife come outside to witness my second batch. It's so nice to roast one batch for the week instead of spending all day with the FR8!

I'd like to publicly thank Mister Moo and WhoDat1 for their vast knowledge and helping me. For anybody thinking of this, if I can do it, anybody can!

Mel
    The SC/CO banner is a fine banner to wave. Welcome to the SC/CO side of things. The one roast and done IS the way to go.

Root

Quote Originally Posted by mels95yj View Post

Mel

No problem Mel, glad to assist, but... WHERE'S THE PHOTOS??? Let's see;
    a) some roasts
    b) Your Rig
    Roast 'em if ya got 'em!

"I roast, therefore, I am..."

...An newb to the world of home roasting. More detail to come soon in the coffee forums.,

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tazziedevil View Post
    "I roast, therefore, I am..."

...An newb to the world of home roasting. More detail to come soon in the coffee forums.,
    Paul. What HAVE you gone off and done now?
    Is it "welcome" time or are you still hanging in the antipodal balance?

~
    c(_)
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Well this has been a great week. My first roast turned out alright! I am using aq Poppery and roasted soem Suleawesi beans...great flavor. I'll definately revist them after I get through my Sweet Marias sampler.

Yesterday I roasted some Brasil Poco Fundo. This mornign I ground some and made a pot. Not quite what I had hoped for...too light in flavor for my taste. But that's what the learning curve is about, right?

Tomorrow I'm going to roast some Guatemalian.

My coffe maker that I ordered should be arriving any day and I am REALLY looking forward to ditching the Mr Coffee.

Now I'm trying to juggle cigar and coffee monies...I would like a new grinder.

Got the roaster and the bean sampler & freshroast + from Sweet Maria's yesterday.
    Roasted some last night, 7.0 mins was too short (just barely past first crack).
    The result was pretty tasty though but lighter bodied than I'd like.
    Tonight (after doing some more reading) upped to 3 level scoops, 8 mins got me somewhere between city+ and full city. Be interesting to see how it tastes tomorrow morning.
    This was Tanzania Mt Meru Nkoanekoli.

Anyway - Carrie and I are having fun with this- I'm excited about yet another slope.

Welcome to the funhouse, Jon!
    [SIZE="4"]Look! There are fish everywhere...
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by j6ppc View Post
    Got the roaster and the bean sampler & freshroast + from Sweet Maria's yesterday.
    Roasted some last night, 7.0 mins was too short (just barely past first crack).
    The result was pretty tasty though but lighter bodied than I'd like.
    Tonight (after doing some more reading) upped to 3 level scoops, 8 mins got me somewhere between city+ and full city. Be interesting to see how it tastes tomorrow morning.
    This was Tanzania Mt Meru Nkoanekoli.

Anyway - Carrie and I are having fun with this- I'm excited about yet another slope.
    welcome to coffee nirvana Jon. YOu two should have a lot of fun experimenting

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    welcome to coffee nirvana Jon. YOu two should have a lot of fun experimenting
    Roasting coffee isn't bad either!
    [SIZE="4"]Look! There are fish everywhere...
    [/SIZE]

J & J - Welcome to the roasting fraternity; it's a great hobby that provides an unending means to amuse yourself at low cost and with enjoyable results.

(This is my favorite thread.)

Puffer Fish with some spikes Zira's Avatar

Today I graduated from roasting with a Toastess popcorn popper to an i-Roast.

Although its not as much fun as roasting with a popcorn popper, I've got myself some beautiful dark beans that I can't wait to try !!

Any tips or suggestions with this machine ?

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Zira View Post

Although its not as much fun as roasting with a popcorn popper, I've got myself some beautiful dark beans that I can't wait to try !!

Cindy
    Many IRoasters here (not me). My advice is "Roast early and roast often". Nice move up, Z'a.

Quote Originally Posted by Zira View Post

Cindy
    Sorry I missed this earlier. I have an IRoast II. The only thing I can recommend is, dont try to use the presets unless you are in a controlled environment(house, heated/air shopr, etc.). I use mine outside and find there are too many variables affecting the bean to just set a preset. I usually set it for the longest time allowed and watch it. I also do a little research before hand to determine where I want the bean to roast too. Observation is the best way to roast a bean with the IRoast IMO.

Hope my little speel helped. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here, the coffee guys are a pretty laid back crowd.
    Proud supporter of Reel Recovery.
    www.reelrecovery.org

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast