Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Who here has ever gone to Eight O'Clock in a pinch?

This is a discussion on Who here has ever gone to Eight O'Clock in a pinch? within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; It's decent coffee, in fact am having a cup espresso made with 8 O'Clock Columbian right now. The primary fault ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish F. Prefect's Avatar

Re: Who here has ever gone to Eight O'Clock in a pinch?

It's decent coffee, in fact am having a cup espresso made with 8 O'Clock Columbian right now. The primary fault I find with it is the 12 oz. bags. Is it gonna kill 'em to put a full pound in a bag like Mayorga or Coffee Wholesale USA, the 2 primary sources of most of my beans?

I know it's just a pet peeve, but those 12 and 13 oz bags just make my blood boil.

F. Prefect
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

Luvin' me some Lagavulin billybarue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F. Prefect View Post
    It's decent coffee, in fact am having a cup espresso made with 8 O'Clock Columbian right now. The primary fault I find with it is the 12 oz. bags. Is it gonna kill 'em to put a full pound in a bag like Mayorga or Coffee Wholesale USA, the 2 primary sources of most of my beans?

I know it's just a pet peeve, but those 12 and 13 oz bags just make my blood boil.

F. Prefect
    I could be wrong, but I think they have the monster "20 lb" (3 pounds I think) bags at my local Sams Club. Being Louisiana I know they have the large bags of Community coffee.

BillyBarue

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish F. Prefect's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think they have the monster "20 lb" (3 pounds I think) bags at my local Sams Club. Being Louisiana I know they have the large bags of Community coffee.

BillyBarue
    I'm sure you're right. I was just doing a bit of ranting about coffee companies that used to package everything in units of a pound are now selling their product in just about every imaginable size, which if you don't look carefully, you may not be getting what you think you are.

However, I don't expect them to change their marketing practices in the foreseeable future, rant or no rant.<g>
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

Oh, I see what you are getting at and I agree with you - 14 oz feels an awful lot like 16 oz when you grab it. And if you are not looking at the label and you are buying according to prices of other brands sitting next to each other it is easy to get duped.

I originally thought you were talking about the inconvenience of smaller bags and having to go get more coffee.

BillyBarue

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Bankshot1101 View Post
    My favorite coffee that comes from a can is Luisianne Caffee. Maybe because it's what my dad always made, but it is a pretty damn good coffee. Good strong robust and balanced flavor. Amazing what a little bit of chicory can do. Anyone know if they sell it in whole bean?
    I don't think I've ever seen a chicory blend in whole bean. I suspect they don't mix the chicory in until after it's been ground. Community Coffee is one of my favorites.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle riders.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I actually just watched a special on coffee done by Americas Test Kitchen, or something like that. Of 8 or so name brand coffees (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) the Eight O'clock won. It had the lowest number of underdeveloped beans (which cause bitterness/harshness) that passed through the filtering process. There is a website that MBMilliren bought coffee from this past summer. The coffee was called Organic New Moon Dark Roast and we ordered 5 pounds of it. "Our best selling dark roast, New Moon offers rich caramel and chocolate notes coupled with a smooth finish. Dark Roast."

Mmm, good. And not too bad a price for organic coffee. MBMilliren, you have anything to say about the NMDR?

Anyway, heres the site: http://grounds.stores.yahoo.net/shopforcoffee.html

Quote Originally Posted by jrihtar View Post
    I actually just watched a special on coffee done by Americas Test Kitchen, or something like that. Of 8 or so name brand coffees (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) the Eight O'clock won. It had the lowest number of underdeveloped beans (which cause bitterness/harshness) that passed through the filtering process. There is a website that MBMilliren bought coffee from this past summer. The coffee was called Organic New Moon Dark Roast and we ordered 5 pounds of it. "Our best selling dark roast, New Moon offers rich caramel and chocolate notes coupled with a smooth finish. Dark Roast."

Mmm, good. And not too bad a price for organic coffee. MBMilliren, you have anything to say about the NMDR?

Anyway, heres the site: http://grounds.stores.yahoo.net/shopforcoffee.html
    I thought it was friggin delicious. We went throught that 5 pounder in about two months....and it stayed very fresh the whole time. Must have been the humid summer air that helped, I dont know...but each brew was as good as the last.

If I don't get my coffee at starbucks or caribou I use my coffee pod maker. Two pods makes one great cup of coffee.
    2008 Pontiac Solstice - Mysterious Black

[SIZE="2"]FREE FTP SERVER AND EMAIL FOR CS MEMBERS[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]My Personal Blog[/SIZE]

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skinsfan View Post
    If I don't get my coffee at starbucks or caribou I use my coffee pod maker. Two pods makes one great cup of coffee.
    Good news. Dunng and WIJ are quietly renouncning them and, I have heard totally off the record, are having their Senseo tattoos LASER'ed off or covered with dragons; you can probly get their remnant pods at a great savings and, why not? They stay factory fresh for years.

[SIZE=3]Nespresso/Senseo Pods - The Dutch Masters of Coffee.[/SIZE]
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Ermo's Avatar

I'm not on the coffee slope yet, so I always have some 8 o'clock.

The best can coffee though is Tim Hortons, not like a coffe you order there, but a can of ground beans. I swear it's great, but you can only get it at Tim Hortons stores.

Put it to the test, you'll be surprised.
    Your SHIII buddy Eric... you know the blurry guy in your peripheral vision next to Jessica.

Quote Originally Posted by jrihtar View Post
    ..... Of 8 or so name brand coffees (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) the Eight O'clock won. It had the lowest number of underdeveloped beans (which cause bitterness/harshness) that passed through the filtering process. ......
    I need to check out MBMilliren.

Early last year there was a thread about good inexpensive coffee (too lazy too search for it right now) and 8 O'clock came up in the thread(as well as others). Back than I checked my consumers report subscription and from what I remember 8 O'clock was ranked very well (way above starbucks).

They were ranking all coffees (not just bargains). Because I see skinsfan mentioning Caribou I distinctly remember they were ranked at the top I believe. I thought Caribou was only in the upper mid west, but obviously they are expanding. Another I recall that was a high ranked bargain brand was Costco (Kirkland) Columbian whole bean.

FWIW,

BillyBarue

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ermo View Post
    I'm not on the coffee slope yet, so I always have some 8 o'clock.

The best can coffee though is Tim Hortons, not like a coffe you order there, but a can of ground beans. I swear it's great, but you can only get it at Tim Hortons stores.

Put it to the test, you'll be surprised.
    I have stopped at TH stores to eat breakfast when in Canada but never got the coffee magic. They seem to have a strong following, tho. Does their canned stuff drink better than what they pour in the store?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Ermo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo View Post
    I have stopped at TH stores to eat breakfast when in Canada but never got the coffee magic. They seem to have a strong following, tho. Does their canned stuff drink better than what they pour in the store?
    Definitely better than their store poured coffee. They are in the states now, but probably not as far south as you. They're all over Michigan.
    Your SHIII buddy Eric... you know the blurry guy in your peripheral vision next to Jessica.

No longer a community member. PuroBrat's Avatar

drinking their French Roast version as I type. In a pinch, or on a budget, I think they make good coffee. Not Great, but good. I also find that if I get the bag from the back of the shelf at Wal-Mart (great turnover rate, so fresher) I get the best bag. Also I keep them in an airtight container in my kitchen cabinet. No light, no air.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2