Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Aramark Signature Blend Corey Collection

This is a discussion on Aramark Signature Blend Corey Collection within the Commercial Roast Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; This morning finds me well rested and enjoying the sun touching the tops of the trees above the campsite where ...

Aramark Signature Blend Corey Collection

This morning finds me well rested and enjoying the sun touching the tops of the trees above the campsite where the camper is parked. A coat is required this morning as the temp is around 55 F. Coffee is the first order of business. As I break out the makings for coffee on the outside stove and get to work.

The device is a Coleman Drip Coffee Maker which has always been able to take subtle Breakfast Blends and turn them into semi-fierce medium bodied warm coffee flavored drink. After setting that up and verifying that the water filter has removed the waters slight sulfur taste I'm ready to add the coffee. Coffee, where is the coffee. Damn, I forgot it. A nice Sumatra blend roasted on Wednesday (commercially, hey I'm not a Mister Moo nut job! Yet!) So I dig around and find the emergency coffee rations. - On to the review!

A Aramark Signature Blend Corey Collection prepackaged for my drinking pleasure. Just the type of thing found in many office settings today. I think back on when this was loaded into the camper and realize I have quite the find! This is VINTAGE stuff! BAM! Circa July 2006. This will not be the average cup of coffee!

A snip open the hermitically sealed bag and breathe in the aroma. Ah, more than I anticipated! A damp coffee flavor tinged with the aroma of fallen oak tree leaves! I can hardly wait. I dump this into the Coleman and fire up the gas. Bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble heheheh.

The aroma coming from the fresh brew reminds me of a coffee I have had before, but can't recall the name. I pour a cup and toss back a slug. Err, that is take a sip. The taste was quite unexpected. Yes, a coffee flavored drink with a suspicous looking oily film. The taste was of coffee long stored in a damp warehouse, ground two years ago, and boiled at too high of a temprature. Ah, morning perfection! Beautiful scenery, birds chirping, kids playing, and the equivalent of a fresh brewed tepid cup of Sanka. That's the aroma that I finally identified.

I won't rate this coffee as I have several bags of it left and am considering how to best use them. As the an official coffee forum criminal element I will not stoop to threats, but I do have a few bags of persuasion that will just get better with age....

Things I learned.
    A. Add these items to the camper:

1. Unbreakable french press
    2. Cheap whirly grinder

B. Leave the Coleman Coffee maker packed up for friends and family that like Sanka.

C. Get a younger wife who can take on the job of remembering to bring the coffee beans. (After 35 years this probably won't happen....)

D. If I'm going to keep emergency coffee rations, at least keep them in the same camping year!

------------------
    So here I sit, drinking coffee of which Mister Moo can only dream. (Halloween is coming Mister Moo!) And waiting for the wife to get up so we can dress and head into town. I think there is a Starbucks there. Funny that I look forward to a cup of Starbucks!!

Looking to the future, hmmm, green beans, a roaster... that would wake up the neighbors here at the campsite.... While I won't go so far as to say Mister Moo is right, (his head would explode) I will say that he may be pointing us in the right direction!
    Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: Aramark Signature Blend Corey Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Syekick View Post
    Looking to the future, hmmm, green beans, a roaster... that would wake up the neighbors here at the campsite....
    Nice story, thanks for the time to write it up.

But I actually would highly recommend keeping green beans and a whirly grinder. You want to roast while camping? Cast iron skillet and a wooden spoon. That's all you need. Be one with your roast.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Re: Aramark Signature Blend Corey Collection

Quote Originally Posted by NCatron View Post
    Nice story, thanks for the time to write it up.

But I actually would highly recommend keeping green beans and a whirly grinder. You want to roast while camping? Cast iron skillet and a wooden spoon. That's all you need. Be one with your roast.
    Good tale - and no reason not to toss a cup of green beans into a skillet and start stirring for 5-8 minutes (if there isn't a Starbucks up the road). And I'd swear the best coffee I ever had was Maxwell House brewed in a Coleman percolator on a camping trip. Sometimes, as with a good cigar, it's as much where you are or who you're with that makes it great.

After years of post-hurricane power outages, having meals squished in a sailboat cabin and motorcycle camping...

mokapot on an MSR burner

vacpot on a late '40's Coleman "Tanker" pressure pot

manual pourover - 1 or 2 cupper

Hard to beat simplicity. Anathema - I grind a week or two's worth and toss it in a ziplock bag. Go figure. It always tastes better than at home.

Keep us posted on the trip - great stuff. Got the camera?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"