Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Sulawesi x Starbucks

This is a discussion on Sulawesi x Starbucks within the Commercial Roast Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; From a bag o' beans ground at the store and french pressed at home and on 4th of July week ...

  
  1. #1

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Sulawesi x Starbucks

    From a bag o' beans ground at the store and french pressed at home and on 4th of July week (here and there). Pretty darn good.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  2. #2

    Full grown Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    The Casi Cielo is also outstanding and a must try. Not a huge promoter of SB but they do have a few good coffees.
    “Kylie opened the door and threw boiling hot water on his face and his chest and he said oooh yeah,”

  3. #3

    VIEJO CABRN lenguamor's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Sbucks Sulawesi has been my favorite press/drip coffee for the last 12 years, I always keep some beans around. Komodo is very good as well, a similar flavor profile - earthy, thick - with a little more nuance.


    [SIZE=1]


    [/SIZE]

  4. #4

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
    Sbucks Sulawesi has been my favorite press/drip coffee for the last 12 years, I always keep some beans around. Komodo is very good as well, a similar flavor profile - earthy, thick - with a little more nuance.
    It's hard for me to say something good about their coffee but the Sulawesi hit the spot. - Rich/earthy, as you said. No nuances.

    Speaking of nuances... I had about 11-teen cups of coffee during Sunday brunch at a Wilmington, NC, restaurant this weekend. Restaurant coffee NEVER has nuances but this stuff had nuances on top of nuances - mighta been yirg. It was from Counter Culture (Chapel Hill, NC). Restaurant coffee with nuances - who knew it was possible?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  5. #5

    Full grown Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Speaking of nuances... I had about 11-teen cups of coffee during Sunday brunch at a Wilmington, NC, restaurant this weekend. Restaurant coffee NEVER has nuances but this stuff had nuances on top of nuances - mighta been yirg. It was from Counter Culture (Chapel Hill, NC). Restaurant coffee with nuances - who knew it was possible?
    That's like their Casi Cielo I mentioned. It's what you might cassify as "Fine Hotel" or "Fine Dining" Coffee.....NUANCES!
    “Kylie opened the door and threw boiling hot water on his face and his chest and he said oooh yeah,”

  6. #6

    VIEJO CABRN lenguamor's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
    That's like their Casi Cielo I mentioned. It's what you might cassify as "Fine Hotel" or "Fine Dining" Coffee.....NUANCES!
    I tried the Cielo, but unfortunately found it too "lemony," a trait I don't like in coffee.


    [SIZE=1]


    [/SIZE]

  7. #7

    Full grown Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
    I tried the Cielo, but unfortunately found it too "lemony," a trait I don't like in coffee.
    Funny I noticed no citrus at all. Perhaps it was the batch.
    “Kylie opened the door and threw boiling hot water on his face and his chest and he said oooh yeah,”

  8. #8

    VIEJO CABRN lenguamor's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
    Funny I noticed no citrus at all. Perhaps it was the batch.
    Maybe. I'll try to sample it again if they have it out sometime.


    [SIZE=1]


    [/SIZE]

  9. #9

    Full grown Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
    Maybe. I'll try to sample it again if they have it out sometime.
    Steer clear of the Ethiopian Sidamo, that is heavy on the citrus flavor!
    “Kylie opened the door and threw boiling hot water on his face and his chest and he said oooh yeah,”

  10. #10

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
    Funny I noticed no citrus at all. Perhaps it was the batch.
    As many of us know from hard experience* locating the lemon-citrus sweet spot in certain roasts is like sliding down a razor blade. It probably tastes better to those who suffer in the heat and flying chaff trying to liberate it; I have noticed the lemon essence in good yirg, for example, causes many noses to turn in alarm. The mere mention of the distinct blueberry flavor that Root produced with Misty yirg and a mokapot, even in this forum, raised a few bemused snipes. (We suffer for our art. )

    *
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...ighlight=mouse

    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...ighlight=mouse

    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106770
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  11. #11

    Full grown Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    I actually enjoy the citrus sometimes. These posts you reference make for some interesting reading.....blueberry huh? Whoodathunkit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    As many of us know from hard experience* locating the lemon-citrus sweet spot in certain roasts is like sliding down a razor blade. It probably tastes better to those who suffer in the heat and flying chaff trying to liberate it; I have noticed the lemon essence in good yirg, for example, causes many noses to turn in alarm. The mere mention of the distinct blueberry flavor that Root produced with Misty yirg and a mokapot, even in this forum, raised a few bemused snipes. (We suffer for our art. )

    *
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...ighlight=mouse

    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...ighlight=mouse

    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106770
    “Kylie opened the door and threw boiling hot water on his face and his chest and he said oooh yeah,”

  12. #12

    Missing the Shack DonJefe's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    It's hard for me to say something good about their coffee but the Sulawesi hit the spot. - Rich/earthy, as you said. No nuances.

    Speaking of nuances... I had about 11-teen cups of coffee during Sunday brunch at a Wilmington, NC, restaurant this weekend. Restaurant coffee NEVER has nuances but this stuff had nuances on top of nuances - mighta been yirg. It was from Counter Culture (Chapel Hill, NC). Restaurant coffee with nuances - who knew it was possible?
    I've heard a lot of good things about Counter Culture. Would love to get there one day. Lem Butler is a great barista.
    Zemekone: You know why I remember this song?
    Icehog3: It was playing the first time we had sex?
    I've had this taste in my mouth before....DaKlugs
    Those weren't headphones, Ian. Icehog3

  13. #13

    An Original Latino ResIpsa's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    From a bag o' beans ground at the store and french pressed at home and on 4th of July week (here and there). Pretty darn good.
    how could you tell it was Sulawesi Dan? "Cause they told you so, or because you recognized the flavors in the coffee.

    Not trying to be funny, on the occasions I'm forced to drink Starbucks coffee the bean could be from anywhere because they're all burned beyond all varietal recognition at all. At least for me

  14. #14

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    how could you tell it was Sulawesi Dan? "Cause they told you so, or because you recognized the flavors in the coffee.

    Not trying to be funny, on the occasions I'm forced to drink Starbucks coffee the bean could be from anywhere because they're all burned beyond all varietal recognition at all. At least for me
    I wouldn't have posted this if it wasn't a pretty solid bag of taste - it was roasted dark but not roasted flavorless. The coffee has the characteristic deep, rich earthy flavor of the region and it throws up enough bubbles when the water hits it to appear reasonably fresh.

    I didn't buy the bag 'cause I'm a Starbux fan - it was a last ditch thing that worked out well. What can I say? It's good.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  15. #15

    Full grown Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Sulawesi x Starbucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    What can I say? It's good.
    I mean that's it really. It could be coffee, a cigar or .....

    I had a 14 oz Rib Eye at an Italian chain resturaunt last week. Normally I would never think of ordering such a thing at a chain but I was sitting down and saw it being served to another customer (looked like a magazine add). For 20$ it was every bit as good as a 40 - 50 dollar steak at a high end Steakhouse, and I'm fussy when it comes to steak. If it's good it's just good.
    “Kylie opened the door and threw boiling hot water on his face and his chest and he said oooh yeah,”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •