Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eight O' Clock Is Now Offically Bad

This is a discussion on Eight O' Clock Is Now Offically Bad within the Commercial Roast Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; You heard it here (in this forum) first (2007), folks... "If you're looking for a standout among blended coffees, you ...

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Eight O' Clock Is Now Offically Bad

You heard it here (in this forum) first (2007), folks...

"If you're looking for a standout among blended coffees, you may be disappointed. Blends, the best-selling type of ground coffee, contain beans from at least two regions or countries. Of the 24 ground caffeinated blends we tested, none was excellent or very good. " - ConsumersReports.org

For the past year or two Eight O'Clock brand coffee, once the mainstay of "very good" to "excellent" grocery store coffee, has been tasting like less than average crap. It was the only mass-merchant brand I could buy with confidence and expect a pot of coffee that was on the high side of good. I stopped buying it as a fill-in to my homeroasted coffee several years ago because it had fallen off so far. I'd buy a bag every once in a while to see what was up but, each time, feh. And this week Consumers Reports dropped the Eight O'Clock rating below "Very Good." Too bad for coffee lovers. This used to be a great tasting and reliable brand. Their reasoning for failing quality in blended coffees was flawed, I thought, and doesn't explain the decline in blends labeled "100% arabica."

Back to the BBQ roaster when the ice thaws.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Alpedhuez55's Avatar

Re: Eight O' Clock Is Now Offically Bad

I saw that on the news today. No mass marketed coffees were rated excellent!!

I would suggest trying some of the Aldi whole bean offerings as a replacement. The C.R. Tarrazu is pretty good. They also have a Harrar. And they tend to be cheaper than Eight O' Clock. Though unless it where a matter of life or death...I am not sure why you would go with anything bought at a grocery store!!!
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes GrtndpwrflOZ's Avatar

Had some 8 O'Clock coffee this morning and it was pretty good.
    I must be coffee confused

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

This used to be a very good coffee. Not sure I want to take somebody elses word until I taste it again myself. I don't see me buying it anytime soon as I have been drinking up the Blue Mountain Jamaican lately and it owns my soul.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtndpwrflOZ View Post
    Had some 8 O'Clock coffee this morning and it was pretty good...
    I think it used to be way better than pretty good; changed my mind in late 2007. I keep up with it a few times a year but it has slid badly and, in my opinion, stayed slid.

Eight O'Clock coffee under $4 lb.

I think Consumers may have been kinder to ther Eight O'Clock 100% Columbian but do not know that for sure - I didn't see the whole article yet.

In any case, drink what tastes good to you. L'Chaim.

Do you have any other mass produced coffee that is "good"?

And as for drinking what you like....well.....DUHHHHHH
    I DO understand what you are saying though.

I also noticed it tastes very different now than it did in 2005-2006. I used to go through a bag of this per week but it's not the same. Too bad.

Do you have any other mass produced coffee that is "good"?

And as for drinking what you like....well.....DUHHHHHH
    I DO understand what you are saying though.
    I really liked Eight O'Clock and stuck with it for years. Somewhere in there my own roasting took over 95% of what we use at home. Since EO'C crapped out I've been trying different things from various grocery stores and none of them are consistently good. The best, I'd say, is what I've gotten at Whole Foods and even that varies a lot in quality (freshness and roast level) and availablility (different lots come and go pretty quickly). Here in the Raleigh area their offerings include Larry's Beans and Counter Culture Coffee, two very competent commercial roasters. While their quality is high the problem I have is how quickly the availability on the shelf changes. One week they offer a spectacular Antigua and then - pffft! - it vanishes never to be seen again.

My closest grocery store is Food Lion and they are not particularly whippy in the coffee department. A couple of weeks ago they offered a Virginia-based line I had heard good things about (First Colony) - Costa Rican Tazzaru for 10.99 x 24-ounces. I bought two bags, thought it was remarkable in its' tastelessness and, unprompted, Mrs. Moo volunteered the coffee was useless.

Basically - I got nothin' reliable to propose right now. I understand many people like EOC but, even as a habitual brand buyer of their whole beans, I finally gave up on them. It was one of the few brands of anything grocery I was especially loyal to. Thank heaven the Bays English Muffins haven't gone sour.

Newbie in the ocean

Thumbs up Re: Eight O' Clock Is Now Offically Bad

"...The best, I'd say, is what I've gotten at Whole Foods and even that varies a lot in quality (freshness and roast level) and availablility (different lots come and go pretty quickly). Here in the Raleigh area their offerings include Larry's Beans... While their quality is high the problem I have is how quickly the availability on the shelf changes. One week they offer a spectacular Antigua and then - pffft! - it vanishes never to be seen again..."

Larry's Beans is the best coffee in the galaxy!!! I order it directly from their website and it is much fresher than what you can get in stores. If you sign up for their facebook page or join their email list, they'll send you coupon codes for discounts or free shipping, etc.

Not to mention that it's an awesome company -> PIONEERING eco-friendly, organic, fair trade, etc.

Luvin' me some Lagavulin billybarue's Avatar

To hear Mister Moo used to like 8 O'Clock lets me know I wasn't crazy.

I bounce around a lot on coffee and noticed I haven't bought 8 O'Clock in awhile as I sensed a taste drop off. I like most stuff from Costco, but closest COSTCO is 3 hours away in Dallas. SAM's Columbian is passable, but just bought a bag of "Ugandan Mountain". Not quite rich enough, but enjoyable enough for grocery store I think.

Sad to say goodbye to 8 O'Clock. In retrospect, It is amazing it was as good as it was for so long given how affordable it was.

Cheers

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    You heard it here (in this forum) first (2007), folks...

"If you're looking for a standout among blended coffees, you may be disappointed. Blends, the best-selling type of ground coffee, contain beans from at least two regions or countries. Of the 24 ground caffeinated blends we tested, none was excellent or very good. " - ConsumersReports.org

For the past year or two Eight O'Clock brand coffee, once the mainstay of "very good" to "excellent" grocery store coffee, has been tasting like less than average crap. It was the only mass-merchant brand I could buy with confidence and expect a pot of coffee that was on the high side of good. I stopped buying it as a fill-in to my homeroasted coffee several years ago because it had fallen off so far. I'd buy a bag every once in a while to see what was up but, each time, feh. And this week Consumers Reports dropped the Eight O'Clock rating below "Very Good." Too bad for coffee lovers. This used to be a great tasting and reliable brand. Their reasoning for failing quality in blended coffees was flawed, I thought, and doesn't explain the decline in blends labeled "100% arabica."

Back to the BBQ roaster when the ice thaws.
    Stopped drinking it years ago as well. I thought it was just me, you know taste buds changing. Your going to laugh i picked up a container of Maxwell house Slow Roast couple of weeks back. We had a snow storm and i ran out of coffee. That's all the deli had, it was better than the Eight O'Clock.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Alas I am still drinking it.
    and I don't think it's that bad until I get my home roasted coffee and then It takes me a couple days to get back into the swing of 8 O'C.

I get my roasted coffee frmo a specialty place.
    It's called Raisin
    and BOY is it good.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cash cow.

After getting good ratings from Consumer Reports, mebbe they downgraded quality to maximize profits... or maybe the harvest was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dajones View Post
    Cash cow... ...maybe the harvest was bad.
    Maybe not. Posts #1 and #4 refer to a post that goes back 2 1/2 years; the decline in quality isn't new. And there has been plenty of good arabica to buy over the past three seasons.

Alas I am still drinking it.
    and I don't think it's that bad...
    Lets say it used to be really good and now it's much less good (if not actually bad). It SEEMS bad to me because it used to be SO good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast