Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trader Joe's Bali Blue Moon is AWEESOMEEEE!

This is a discussion on Trader Joe's Bali Blue Moon is AWEESOMEEEE! within the Commercial Roast Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Hey guys! The girlfriend made me go to Trader Joe's with her today. I say made me because I know ...

-=)Resident Insomniac(=- eyesack's Avatar

Thumbs up Trader Joe's Bali Blue Moon is AWEESOMEEEE!

Hey guys! The girlfriend made me go to Trader Joe's with her today. I say made me because I know in stores like that that involve gourmet food at affordable prices and/or coffee, I'm sure to drop greenbacks. Well, I was in the coffee aisle and was looking at the Trader Joe's brands; the Sumatra, the Bay Blend, and I think some other dark roast. Looking at the cans, I figured it was just gonna be the same overly-acidic or burnt-tasting coffee that everyone and their mom makes nowadays (which I really hate...).

Anyway, Tracy came over to me and was all like, "GET DA BALI BLUE MOON!" "Huh?" lol. Granted, she really isn't a coffee drinker, but sometimes likes the girly drinks which is fine, because maybe some day, she'll want to come over to the dark side lol. So I looked at it and figured, "Eh, what've I got to lose? 6 bucks or so? That's a good day for me! If it had been a B&M, I usually end up dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-50 bucks on stuff that I won't get around to smoking ever."

Now, as we all know, GREAT things and people come out of Indonesia, including but not limited to cigars and pipe tobacco produced and sold by Bob from Tamboloka, Ferry and Benji of Degiri, and now Yan from Sultan. I also know that the area is known for great coffee, but usually when it comes to store-bought, canned cheap stuff (cheap being <$10 a pound), it seems that there may be 1 or 2 beans in every 10 of the proclaimed origin, and the product is a much more watered down version of what one might acquire elsewhere at a boutique shop. This was a false presumption on this example!

I opened the lid, peeled back the foil seal, and WHOOF! Immediately I could smell that this coffee wasn't your everyday Dunkin Donuts or Starshmucks er bucks coffee! The smell was very fragrant and rich, and earthy; unique and exciting! Taking a look inside, these beans are VERY oily. I've never seen any coffee so oily (which isn't saying much since I'm a coffee noob).

Finally, I ground up about oh, IDK 5-6 tablespoons of coffee, took a whiff of it, again, noting the rich, woody, aromatic, and somewhat sweet smell of the stuff, and went about letting it steep in my press. 7ish minutes later, I had my serum ready to drink.

I want to start this off by saying I love dark-roasted, syrupy consistency, complex coffees, and prefer my coffee black unless it's a "dessert coffee", like a hazelnut flavored one when it tastes really good with cream and sugar... I digress... This coffee really made my night! Sipping in small palate-fulls, the coffee coats the mouth with a rich layer of flavors; berry high notes, a touch of earthiness (as stated on the can, not as much as a straight Sumatra blend, but there nonetheless), I was getting some caramel, as well as (as ridiculous as this might sound), a faint faint trail of coriander and/or anis through the nose. My dad described the flavor as "winey". I guess I could see that, but it's been so long since I've had any wine that I really don't know what it tastes like lol. Either way, it had a brightness to it but without the bite of acidity, and yet it also had the warmth and complexity of a dark-roasted Sumatran that I like.

If you guys are still reading this, definitely try a can if you have a Trader Joe's around; it's worth it. And as always, my disclaimer is that my palate is mine, and all of this may be total BS, but I was bored and in the mood to share some experience with my brothers and sisters here on Puff. Enjoy guys!

Cheers,
    Isaac
    Last edited by eyesack; 05-29-2010 at 04:06 AM.
    Did I fire 6 shots or only 5?

Re: Trader Joe's Bali Blue Moon is AWEESOMEEEE!

Nice review!! There are trader joe's all around here... I'll have to go check out their coffee section. I'm usually headed straight for Caffe Vita or Vivace, but Bali Blue sounds great!
    This Space For Rent

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Very nice review felt like i was drinking a cup. I got a trader joes 15 minutes away right over the boarder in C.T.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with some spikes variable's Avatar

Hi eyesack,
    you're up at 3am? Must be good coffee!

Which TJ's do you go to? Malton?

Julian

Yeah man, Marlton it is! Are you around here?

Puffer Fish with some spikes variable's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eyesack View Post
    Yeah man, Marlton it is! Are you around here?
    I'm near Freehold, but Ive been to Marlton a few times. I have a friend that lives there ans I've been to that TJ's twice.

How about, one day we meet up there, get some java and smoke? It would be good to see you again my friend.

Julian

Hell yeah man, I'm down! Say... Smelvis is coming to NJ soon, we should show him how us Jersey boys (the real ones, not the guys with orange skin on MTV) get down! Either way, not working atm, so whenever's good for you man!

No longer a community member.

Do they have this in de caf? I like the flavor profile of this coffee and I have been drinking more coffee since my conversion to French Press but know that caffeine does bad things to me. Maybe I'll chance it by not drinking more than a pot a day.

LOL Gar, I think you could chance it; BTW the press is the way to go! I tried a few cups of this stuff dripped today... Definitely not the same! I don't think it comes decaf though.

We're going to Trader Joes tomorrow so will take a look at the beans. I have been buying up coffee like it's going out of style and packaging it carefully and then freezing it. All of the air is taken out of the package and I only bring out one bag( 4 days worth at a time) and it's as fresh as the day I packaged them. I think I have about 25 bags in the big freezer in the garage and now it's gotten as bad as my cigar hobby. Everytime I go to the coffee stores you can find me with my head inside the jar practically smelling beans. The wife is embarrassed of me as I tell anybody walking by that I am Juan Valdez checking for quality. Love the French Press and don't even use my drip makers anymore and I paid over $250 for it.

:OOOOO Oh loardy lolol Yeah, coffee is definitely addicting! I want to try roastin my own beans some time I think. Sounds like it would be worthwhile to learn!

:OOOOO Oh loardy lolol Yeah, coffee is definitely addicting! I want to try roastin my own beans some time I think. Sounds like it would be worthwhile to learn!
    I gave that some thought as well and just buy the beans that are already roasted. I've got enough on my anal retentive plate already as I have a ritual when I get up in the morning/afternoons and start the coffee countdown. Flip the switch on my water heater to heat up the purified water, heat up the French Press mug with hot tap water, wait for the water to come to a boil then grind the beans...empty the French Press and fill with ground beans...wait 4 minutes while I am putting one packet of sugar and then froth 2% milk...pour my coffee and add froth and I'm in heaven. 32 ounces of pure Go Juice. I won't even bore you with my cigar ritual..unless you ask. lol

Isaac,
    How've you been, brother?
    You definitely should roast your own. Takes coffee to a whole other level. And it's easy!
    "The sky might not be falling but the clouds are rolling in and freedom is on the run." tpharkman ..,, "The future ain't what it used to be." Yogi Berra

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes mrsmitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    I gave that some thought as well and just buy the beans that are already roasted. I've got enough on my anal retentive plate already as I have a ritual when I get up in the morning/afternoons and start the coffee countdown. Flip the switch on my water heater to heat up the purified water, heat up the French Press mug with hot tap water, wait for the water to come to a boil then grind the beans...empty the French Press and fill with ground beans...wait 4 minutes while I am putting one packet of sugar and then froth 2% milk...pour my coffee and add froth and I'm in heaven. 32 ounces of pure Go Juice. I won't even bore you with my cigar ritual..unless you ask. lol
    Intrigue me

BTW I found a french press at goodwill last month and have been using it ever since. I'm loving some Yuban darkroast (don't laugh), but I LOVE IT actually more then any starbucks I've had thus far.

Anywhere you can buy Trader Joe like wal-mart, meijers...??? Because I don't think I have a Trader Joe's anywhere around me.

your review sound great! Can't wait to have a cup of coffee here at the office. I'm sure last Friday's leftovers, once I scrap the blue fuzz off, will warm up nicely (said with sarcasic envy).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast