Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Folgers Country Roast

This is a discussion on Folgers Country Roast within the Commercial Roast Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; By no means do I consider myself a coffee expert, although I have tried many different store brands. Last week ...

Young Puffer Fish

Folgers Country Roast

By no means do I consider myself a coffee expert, although I have tried many different store brands. Last week I discovered Folgers Country Roast due to it being on sale, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I have found Folgers Classic Roast to be quite acidic, and this is something I try to stay away from when it comes to coffee. Country Roast is some of the least acidic coffee I've ever had and has an almost silky mouth feel. It also doesn't seem to be lacking in flavor like some of the lower acid coffees that are available. This is certainly a lower budget coffee so I'm sure this won't impress many of the coffee snobs out there. However, if you're on a budget and like a smooth, low acid, coffee that still has a good strong coffee flavor, I definitely recommend Folgers Country Roast.

Re: Folgers Country Roast

The one cheap coffee I've found palatable is the 3 lb can of Kirkland Colombian at Costco for $10. I'm no connoisseur, but I don't like bad coffee. If I haven't been to Costco and I need coffee I get a bag of Gevalia.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by cakeanddottle View Post
    The one cheap coffee I've found palatable is the 3 lb can of Kirkland Colombian at Costco for $10. I'm no connoisseur, but I don't like bad coffee. If I haven't been to Costco and I need coffee I get a bag of Gevalia.
    I have had good luck with Gevalia as well, their Colombian Roast has a distinctive chocolate flavor that i enjoy very much. Unfortunately there is no Costco in my area, but the next time I'm near one I may have to give Kirkland Colombian a try.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I'm no coffee expert either, but at 65 plus some you'd think I would have settled in on a brand I can make consistently and enjoy. My morning brew is hit or miss, mainly miss. If I go to McDonald's - not good. Cruise ship coffee I drink morning, noon, and before bedtime.

Also, your description 'acidic' for Classic Roast may be what I continue to taste, just didn't know how to describe. The word acidic may be what I taste and why most times I have the after taste and stomach gets upsets afterwards some/most mornings. Reminds me of something sharpe, bitter taste lingers.

"Gevalia as well, their Colombian Roast has a distinctive chocolate flavor". Good description. I will try it also.

Thanks for Folgers Country Roast / Gevalia Colombian Roast recommendations guys. Will get some of both immediately.

I'm to the point of replacing Gevali coffee unit with a new one or another brand if needed.

I don't like bad coffee either.
    Last edited by hogjaw; 08-05-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: additional comments
    KL License #2157

Have you tried the Cafe Du Monde blend? They use chicory in the coffee to reduce the acid and bitterness of the beans. Folgers use to be "it" for me until I got into the really dark roasts at Peets and Starbucks, now it just tastes like dirty water to me.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    Have you tried the Cafe Du Monde blend? They use chicory in the coffee to reduce the acid and bitterness of the beans. Folgers use to be "it" for me until I got into the really dark roasts at Peets and Starbucks, now it just tastes like dirty water to me.
    I have not tried Cafe Du Monde although I have had French Market which I understand to be very similar. I enjoy chicory in my coffee and usually keep a couple boxes of Coffee Partner on hand for when I feel like having something a little different, or I have a coffee blend I want to tone down. Great suggestion!