Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wal-Mart: "Great Value" 100% Arabica

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart: "Great Value" 100% Arabica within the Commercial Roast Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; So I was looking for something cheap/decent to bring in to work for those times when I don't feel up ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Wal-Mart: "Great Value" 100% Arabica

So I was looking for something cheap/decent to bring in to work for those times when I don't feel up to roasting. Found a review on www.coffeereviews.com which gave this 100% arabica in a can a pretty decent review. For $2.50 a 13oz can I thought I'd give it a shot.

Not surprisingly, it's a pretty mediocre cup. The review I read of this coffee was part of a series of value coffee reviews, so it was being compared to dreck like Folgers. The only thing I can figure, compared to Folgers this stuff is fantastic so he (non-objectively) gave it a good review. But it will never hold up to a decent fresh roast. Basically, take Folgers and subtract the rotten robusto bean flavor and add in just a hint of Central America.

Bottom line - if you want a cheap can of coffee to keep around, this probably is the best grocery store coffee to choose, but it will never impress anyone with its muddled generic coffee flavor.

Luvin' me some Lagavulin billybarue's Avatar

Re: Wal-Mart: "Great Value" 100% Arabica

Thanks for the info.

8 O'Clock Columbian is my low price go-to coffee. Pretty strong rankings in consumer reports last time I cared to check.

BillyBarue

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Here are the reviews:

http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?cupdate={ts%20'2007-01-04%2000:00:00'}

The relevant WalMart coffee:

"Rather subdued aroma, but quite sweet and deep, with floral, semi-sweet chocolate and cherry hints. Continued round and deep in the cup, with distinct semi-sweet chocolate notes and a slight woody, herby edge. The round richness carries into the short finish but gives way to a shallow, salty woodiness in the long. 84"

He makes it sound better than it is, because he was comparing it to this 8 O'clock:

"I have on occasion sampled pretty decent coffee from these familiar red bags, but the last two times around the Eight O'Clock Original samples were abysmal: the worst kind of fermented, mildewed arabicas, doubtless dried in rotting piles just like the robustas in the cans but without the softening impact of steaming to remove taints. Two years ago a sample I bought in New York City was so foul I rated it 66. This year's sample (not reviewed) came off the table at 70."

Quote Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
    Thanks for the info.

8 O'Clock Columbian is my low price go-to coffee. Pretty strong rankings in consumer reports last time I cared to check.

BillyBarue
    I'm with you. I gave some thought to some Walmart stuff (one of their "gourmet" bags) the other night when I was looking for a stand-in after I ran out of a local roast I like, but ended up going with what has evolved into my usual standby, the 8 O'clock Colombian. I've apparently had a better experience with the brand than the reviewer. Just reading that review above of the original gave me a foul taste in my mouth.

I think this is a pretty good cheap coffee. Even more so their decaf is just as good.
    No! It is I who fooled you! For I am dead.. and merely acting alive!

Quote Originally Posted by TideRoll View Post
    I'm with you. I gave some thought to some Walmart stuff (one of their "gourmet" bags) the other night when I was looking for a stand-in after I ran out of a local roast I like, but ended up going with what has evolved into my usual standby, the 8 O'clock Colombian. I've apparently had a better experience with the brand than the reviewer. Just reading that review above of the original gave me a foul taste in my mouth.
    Actually, that is my greatest fear with "value" coffees. I'll find a good cheap brand, then all of a sudden they will decide to cut corners and buy a questionable lot of beans and spoil everything. Seems maybe that's what happened with the batch purchased by that reviewer.

Stick with a great quality whole bean and everything should be fine...you know what I'm talking about!
    Coffee is Food! Spread the Word

www.killerbeans.com
    Spread the word...Coffee Is Food!

Luvin' me some Lagavulin billybarue's Avatar

I am probably going to try the Walmart brand mentioned.

I just haven't had any problem with 8 O'clock though. In addition I can pick it up on base at a military commissary for $2.50/14 oz bag.

There are some "Fair Trade" coffees at the local Sams Club, but it is awfully hard to take the plunge on a 3 lb bag - anybody familiar with sam's club stuff. Costco Columbian also got good reviews in Consumers report a year or so ago.

BillyBarue

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Thanks for the great deal
    JOEY

Puffer Fish with some spikes frogman18's Avatar

One word for good cheap coffee- YUBAN!

Moo-ism translator, Esq

Quote Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
    I am probably going to try the Walmart brand mentioned.

I just haven't had any problem with 8 O'clock though. In addition I can pick it up on base at a military commissary for $2.50/14 oz bag.

There are some "Fair Trade" coffees at the local Sams Club, but it is awfully hard to take the plunge on a 3 lb bag - anybody familiar with sam's club stuff. Costco Columbian also got good reviews in Consumers report a year or so ago.

BillyBarue
    I grind and brew Costco whole beans - Jose's Columbian it is. Truly a very decent cup. Way step up from a Folgers and a pretty decent jump from Yuban as well....asumming you think those are semi-decent store bought brands.
    And it really surprised my how MUCH additional flavor pop I got from jose's when i started using the press pot. It really came alive.

And at $8-somethng for close to 3 lb it's a pretty decent bargain as well
    Reserved for future use....

Full grown Puffer Fish Dirty Dee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrJerry View Post
    Stick with a great quality whole bean and everything should be fine...you know what I'm talking about!
    AMEN brother!

Good friends are few,
    Good friends are rare,
    Have you a good friend?
    Then tell them that you care,
    That good friend you have will not always be there.

L.S. - a good friend was he.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCatron View Post
    Here are the reviews:

http://www.coffeereview.com/allrevie...00:00:00'}

The relevant WalMart coffee:

"Rather subdued aroma, but quite sweet and deep, with floral, semi-sweet chocolate and cherry hints. Continued round and deep in the cup, with distinct semi-sweet chocolate notes and a slight woody, herby edge. The round richness carries into the short finish but gives way to a shallow, salty woodiness in the long. 84"

He makes it sound better than it is, because he was comparing it to this 8 O'clock:

"I have on occasion sampled pretty decent coffee from these familiar red bags, but the last two times around the Eight O'Clock Original samples were abysmal: the worst kind of fermented, mildewed arabicas, doubtless dried in rotting piles just like the robustas in the cans but without the softening impact of steaming to remove taints. Two years ago a sample I bought in New York City was so foul I rated it 66. This year's sample (not reviewed) came off the table at 70."
    My sad experience lately. Breaks my heart to see this reliable brand fall off so far.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

At an average of .06 cents per cup on these brands, you get what you pay for.
    Dream big. Love limitless. Live fully. Laugh often. Drink great coffee. UB on FaceBook here.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by novasurf View Post
    At an average of .06 cents per cup on these brands, you get what you pay for.
    Elitist!
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast