Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would You Open a B & M?

This is a discussion on Would You Open a B & M? within the Eastern forums, part of the Events and Herfs category; After losing a job for the 4th time in three years, I'm thinking of opening a retail B & M ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes lbiislander's Avatar

Would You Open a B & M?

After losing a job for the 4th time in three years, I'm thinking of opening a retail B & M cigar/pipe shop. My local B&M raised their "membership" dues for the third time in as many years, to the point where I can't afford to join again. There is no other local shop and I don't know if that's due to NY laws and how expensive cigars are in NY (vs the Internets) or what? Any feedback you'd care to share would be appreciated. For the record, I live in Northern Westchester County.
    Frequently wrong but never in doubt!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Would You Open a B & M?

Quote Originally Posted by lbiislander View Post
    After losing a job for the 4th time in three years, I'm thinking of opening a retail B & M cigar/pipe shop. My local B&M raised their "membership" dues for the third time in as many years, to the point where I can't afford to join again. There is no other local shop and I don't know if that's due to NY laws and how expensive cigars are in NY (vs the Internets) or what? Any feedback you'd care to share would be appreciated. For the record, I live in Northern Westchester County.
    Dunno about there, but here in the city I know there's a 75% tax on the wholesale price on cigars. I can't think of too many B&Ms here, aside from, say Nat Sherman's. Plenty of places to buy cigars, but only a few dedicated cigar places- most of which have mixed but fairly positive reviews.

I've personally gone to my local one, Wall Street Humidor, and found it almost quietly hostile to newcomers. I'm sure if I went on a regular basis, that might change, but I don't feel the need to make friends with people who will automatically dismiss me before I've even opened my mouth.

For myself, I can think of little more that would be enjoyable than running my own cigar shop/lounge.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broklynite View Post

I've personally gone to my local one, Wall Street Humidor, and found it almost quietly hostile to newcomers.
    Mwhahahaa, I must go to this one now and start chit!!
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Shemp75 View Post
    I dunno. I am glad I went, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. I'd like a place where two strangers have their sticks, turn to each other and comfortably start a conversation on the fly. You know how it is- like when you're on the subway and you start chatting with the person next to you. I think this was more oriented toward investment guys who all know one another from work.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Not in that state I wouldn't...
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

Like any other business, do your demographics & research. Your current local B&M may be able to do this because there's no competition. Maybe it is that hard/expensive.

Dunno about there, but here in the city I know there's a 75% tax on the wholesale price on cigars. I can't think of too many B&Ms here, aside from, say Nat Sherman's. Plenty of places to buy cigars, but only a few dedicated cigar places- most of which have mixed but fairly positive reviews.

The 75% tax is statewide! then you tack on your local taxes. It definitely is an expensive hobby here (we're not alone)!

I've personally gone to my local one, Wall Street Humidor, and found it almost quietly hostile to newcomers. I'm sure if I went on a regular basis, that might change, but I don't feel the need to make friends with people who will automatically dismiss me before I've even opened my mouth.

It just as well might not. We have a lot of snobs in NYC and a ton of them are on Wall Street (live & work)!

For myself, I can think of little more that would be enjoyable than running my own cigar shop/lounge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemp75 View Post
    Sounds like you're from one of the boroughs! (minus SI)

I dunno. I am glad I went, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. I'd like a place where two strangers have their sticks, turn to each other and comfortably start a conversation on the fly. You know how it is- like when you're on the subway and you start chatting with the person next to you. I think this was more oriented toward investment guys who all know one another from work.
    It doesn't sound like you're originally from NYC! For the past 20+ years when you step out of your neighborhood and attempt to make conversation or even just say hello, you get the evil eye (even if they do respond)!
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by brimy623 View Post
    It doesn't sound like you're originally from NYC! For the past 20+ years when you step out of your neighborhood and attempt to make conversation or even just say hello, you get the evil eye (even if they do respond)!
    Ah, I should have been more clear. Sometimes when I'm on the subway and someone's reading a book I like I can strike up a friendly convo. Or maybe the train is particularly bad that morning, so you turn to the guy next to you and make a smart-assed remark. Yesterday, one guy next to me turned to the other, asked directions, started talking politics. I joined in and the three of us had a good time, nice way to pass the ride.

Yea, I'm not talking about the people that make eye contact with you on the sidewalk, smile, nod, and ask you how you are...those folks're just creepy.

Yea, I'm not talking about the people that make eye contact with you on the sidewalk, smile, nod, and ask you how you are...those folks're just creepy.
    I'm surprised you got a conversation! LOL
    I don't think it's creepy to be "neighborly/friendly" as long as you don't get carried away.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by brimy623 View Post
    I'm surprised you got a conversation! LOL
    I don't think it's creepy to be "neighborly/friendly" as long as you don't get carried away.
    I'm told I can be pretty charming

As for the neighborly- depends on the neighborhood. I'm in Chinatown. They don't go for that kinda stuff down here.

I'm told I can be pretty charming
    ok! I'll take you word for it. LOL

As for the neighborly- depends on the neighborhood. I'm in Chinatown. They don't go for that kinda stuff down here.
    Now THAT'S typical NY!
    As I'm sure you know, if you don't have the "screw face" on they'll try to take advantage of you!

Scotch & Cigars

The B&M I go to in SI is always busy, everyone is extremely friendly and it appears to be doing very well. Place was still busy last night when I left after 11.

The first time I walked in a few of the regulars welcomed me and offered me a scotch which I gladly accepted.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

I went to Wall Street Humidor on friday dressed in my typical grunge-hippy attire ( B-ball shorts and hoodie) and truth be told the owner was a bit offish towards me but I have been treated worse in other businesses so it was no real bother. what was funny was his reaction when I choice to get a Padron 46th anniversary (havent had a 46th yet) I have no doubt in my mind he expected me to grab a $10ish smoke the way I was dressed. Even with the high ass NY tax it was still only about $10 over retail which is not too bad for a smoke like that. I was able to start/jump into a conversation pretty easily with the few smokers that were near me. I inquired about membership lockers and it was much cheaper then I thought it would be for that local ( $1000 per year) but all it gets you is access to the downstairs smoking section which is nice but i dont see the jist of it. And when i was there most people that i saw that had lockers smoked upstairs were i was.

Would I go there again? Probably not because their selection was not really that big( nothing that caught my eye). Cigar Inn which is only a few more minutes uptown on 53rd and 2nd ave has a much bigger selection and more brands available.

Oh and the Padron 46st was uber jizzworthy!!
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Quote Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
    Not in that state I wouldn't...
    I hear you, but selling my house and moving just to open a cigar shop is NOT an option.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I hear you, but selling my house and moving just to open a cigar shop is NOT an option.
    Moving INTO the cigar shop, perhaps?

Moving INTO the cigar shop, perhaps?
    Now you're talking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast