Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Herf etiquette?

This is a discussion on Herf etiquette? within the Everywhere Else forums, part of the Events and Herfs category; Originally Posted by DonWeb great question, jkim! i'm gonna have to make it to one of these herf thingies. great ...

Alpha Puffer Fish Kiwi Michelle's Avatar

Re: Herf etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by DonWeb View Post
    great question, jkim! i'm gonna have to make it to one of these herf thingies.

great answers, 'o sages -- here's a compilation.

(feel free to add your hard won wisdom)

[SIZE=4]HERFOLOGY[/SIZE]
    (Interpersonal Skills I Learned at The Herf)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Bring whatever you think might be a good addition to the party (Da Klugs)

- If the herf is at someone's house, ([SIZE=1]one should[/SIZE]) bring something for the host. (icehog3)

- If the herf is at a B&M, ([SIZE=1]one should[/SIZE]) buy something there. (icehog3)

- If someone hands you a cigar -- say, "Thank you" (Bruce)

- If you are trying to impress people ([SIZE=1]with your selection[/SIZE]), you have the wrong idea;
    ... impress them with your attitude and friendship. (chip)

- Make sure you eat something ([SIZE=1]before or during a herf[/SIZE]) (RPB7).

- Respect each other. (TWCigars)

- Drive safely after the herf. (RPB7)

- ([SIZE=1]herfing[/SIZE]) it's all about the company and having a good time. (all)

[SIZE=3]There was no mention of the thongador or the brown painted feet - I felt these were the most pertine[/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]nt.

Very much looking forward to my herfing virginity being taken in Chicago!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=6]Where are you going to be in February '09? [SIZE=4]Surf & Turf Herf Auckand New Zealand[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=6]
    [SIZE=3]http://www.travel-ticker.com[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

This space owned by Puff. Jbailey's Avatar

I would like to thank everyone for this info. I've never been to a herf outside of the ones at my local b&m. I hope I can make the one in Chicago in May. It looks like its going to be legendary!

great thread. thanks all for your responses.
    "The Things We Love Destroy Us...Every Time"...George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
    At the Myrtle Beach Herf (which was my first) I loaded a big ziplock bag full of smokes (no herfador) and when we met up I told everyone if you see something you want just help yourself.

Was it expected of me? NO I did it because I wanted people to have the chance to try something they may not have had the chance to try yet.

A Herf is a gathering of people with at least one common interest in hopes that new friends will be made.

Did I make new friends those couple of days? YOU BET

Just be yourself and you will make new friends. That is what a Herf is all about.

BTW I left the night with more cigars than I came with thanks to some generous gorillas.

Just have fun and don't worry about the other stuff.

At the herf....remember, DO NOT TRY TO KILL A BROTHER HERFER with a plutonium filled fake A$$ Cohiba like the Myrtle Beach Herfers did to Riverdawg. The cigar and his face turned four shades of green!

Remember its about the experience and the camaraderie. Good times with good friends....with everyone having a great time. Good opportunity to meet some of the folks you post with from time to time on this site and put face with names. Most herfs have experiences that you will NEVER forget!!

As a veteran of now 2 Herf's I can say with confidence that it is more about meeting greeting and having a good time. I brought a knife to a nuclear gun fight and was quickly reassurred that it is not all about the caliber of the trade or what you bring. It is all about the fact that you came, came to learn and have a great time. Once I pulled my humbled head out of my A$$ I had a great time and look forward to the next herf.

Go with the intent to have a great time. Dont worry about what you bring to the table, someone always has a better table. Go to have a great time and the rest comes easy.

Good Luck

TT
    I bleed Orange, not a brighter shade but Burnt!

Quote Originally Posted by ttours View Post
    As a veteran of now 2 Herf's I can say with confidence that it is more about meeting greeting and having a good time. I brought a knife to a nuclear gun fight and was quickly reassurred that it is not all about the caliber of the trade or what you bring. It is all about the fact that you came, came to learn and have a great time. Once I pulled my humbled head out of my A$$ I had a great time and look forward to the next herf.

Go with the intent to have a great time. Dont worry about what you bring to the table, someone always has a better table. Go to have a great time and the rest comes easy.

Good Luck

TT
    Well said Trudy.
    If at first you don't succeed.... your skydiving days are over.

I will be (hopefully) attending my first herf next weekend, and there's one thing that's been on my mind that I've seen mentioned several times...the cigars!

I look forward to the experience, and of course I am looking forward to perhaps seeing what other BOTLs may have to share. However, due to my income (or lack thereof) as a college student, I can only maintain maybe a dozen sticks in the humi, so I never really have much to give away.

When I am able to share, I am more than willing to...I just don't want to seem 'stuck up' by having nothing to share with others. Hopefully though, from what I've seen, it won't come across like that.

I usually handle these situations with a little tact, but in that particular case I told her to go @#*& herself. -- icehog3

When is Tee time?? havana_lover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbucks View Post
    I will be (hopefully) attending my first herf next weekend, and there's one thing that's been on my mind that I've seen mentioned several times...the cigars!

I look forward to the experience, and of course I am looking forward to perhaps seeing what other BOTLs may have to share. However, due to my income (or lack thereof) as a college student, I can only maintain maybe a dozen sticks in the humi, so I never really have much to give away.

When I am able to share, I am more than willing to...I just don't want to seem 'stuck up' by having nothing to share with others. Hopefully though, from what I've seen, it won't come across like that.

you dont need to worry about that, just be yourself and have fun..
    It's allot easier to ask for forgiveness, then it is to ask for permission
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermo View Post
    and Detroit strippers, well, they're Detroit strippers...picture the Pistons with wigs on.

No longer a community member. papajohn67's Avatar

How about another etiquette question? Have only been to one Herf so far. Took some sticks to pass out to the other 3 BOTL's which were put to the torch. One of the other BOTL also passed out to each of us several very nice cigars. I did not reciprocate by smoking any of the sticks he gifted me instead salting them away. Heading home it struck me that I may have commited poor judgement in Herfing etiquette. What say you?

No longer a community member. pnoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
    How about another etiquette question? Have only been to one Herf so far. Took some sticks to pass out to the other 3 BOTL's which were put to the torch. One of the other BOTL also passed out to each of us several very nice cigars. I did not reciprocate by smoking any of the sticks he gifted me instead salting them away. Heading home it struck me that I may have commited poor judgement in Herfing etiquette. What say you?
    No problem at all. Gifted sticks at a herf are not necessarily meant to be smoked AT the herf. If you choose to, fine. But it is not required. At the herfs I have attended, countless cigars are shared - few of them are smoked then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
    No problem at all. Gifted sticks at a herf are not necessarily meant to be smoked AT the herf. If you choose to, fine. But it is not required. At the herfs I have attended, countless cigars are shared - few of them are smoked then and there.
    On this note...I was 'randomly' gifted my first (and only) OpusX a few weeks ago at the local B&M. Didn't even know the guy, wasn't a herf or anything. Just watching the TV smoking a few Davidoff Cigarillos, and I asked him about his Opus. Next thing I knew, I had one laying in my lap.

To be perfectly honest, I would have preferred to just head home. But I felt somewhat obligated to smoke it there...especially considering the cigar it happened to be. I didn't really mind it at all, especially considering what I was able to enjoy .
    I usually handle these situations with a little tact, but in that particular case I told her to go @#*& herself. -- icehog3

Quote Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
    Pnoon is correct...the choice is yours. Kind of hard not to immediately light up a gifted OPUS X or RP Edge, etc., etc. However, my preference though is to take the gifted sticks home and wash them off under a steady stream of hot soapy water. I then put Lysol on them. Good Gawd....you never know where some of them sticks have been!!! You guys don't know Madurolover like we do! The man is nutz and is liable to do anything to those herfing with him....just ask Riverdawg!

Will work for less hours riverdawg's Avatar

This is true. That Fake Cohiba dipped in black paint still haunts my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by riverdawg View Post
    This is true. That Fake Cohiba dipped in black paint still haunts my dreams.
    BIA!!!

so i just got to utilize all of these tips at the latest trishield herf. thanks to all who chimed in!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast