Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Herf etiquette?

This is a discussion on Herf etiquette? within the Everywhere Else forums, part of the Events and Herfs category; Originally Posted by icehog3 Ahem......Wisconsin / Illinois Crew. That is all. I am sure that is what he meant. Sometimes ...

Re: Herf etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
    Ahem......Wisconsin / Illinois Crew. That is all.
    I am sure that is what he meant. Sometimes you have to listen to what's not being said in order to get the message. We love our IL brethren as much as they love us...
    You couldn't pay me enough to post here...Just sayin'

No longer a community member. pnoon's Avatar

Ahem......Wisconsin / Illinois / Douche Bag Crew

Sorry, Tom

If the herf is at someone's house, I would definitely bring a cigar or a bottle of wine for the host.

If the herf is at a B&M, buy something there as a thank you for letting you sit and smoke in their business.

If someone hands you a cigar, and you are unable to reciprocate, say "Thank you". (credit to Bruce for that one).
    Tom's a class-act! Heed his words of wisdom!
    + =

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes RenoB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
    Ahem......Wisconsin / Illinois / Douche Bag Crew
    Ahem......Wisconsin / Douche Bag Crew

Sorry Tom, but you're the only one representing Illinois
    Jones'n for a MoB Herf!

I don't mind bringing smokes for other people, I'd be more than happy to do it. I just worry that I'd completely screw it up is all. Like I think it would be difficult for a new Scotch drinker to pick a Scotch that I might really enjoy. Don't get me wrong I'd appreciate the effort but I'd be a little embarassed to provide someone with the worst smoke they have every had.

I think the answer for me is simply when I go to herf's to buy sticks off of c25's top 25 list specifically for the purpose of the herf (cause I'm probably not read for those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
    I don't mind bringing smokes for other people, I'd be more than happy to do it. I just worry that I'd completely screw it up is all. Like I think it would be difficult for a new Scotch drinker to pick a Scotch that I might really enjoy. Don't get me wrong I'd appreciate the effort but I'd be a little embarassed to provide someone with the worst smoke they have every had.

I think the answer for me is simply when I go to herf's to buy sticks off of c25's top 25 list specifically for the purpose of the herf (cause I'm probably not read for those yet.
    I think a better answer is for you to bring smokes that YOU enjoy. And to share those. One thing you DON'T want to do is to come off as trying to impress. Just be yourself - relax and enjoy.

Don't get me wrong I'd appreciate the effort but I'd be a little embarassed to provide someone with the worst smoke they have every had.

I think gifting is more about the act of gifting the cigar more than the cigar itself. If doesn't matter much what you gift, but in gifting you are recognizing that the person you gifted the cigar to is valued enough to have something from your collection, however humble it may be. Kind of like breaking bread for all to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Twill413 View Post
    I think gifting is more about the act of gifting the cigar more than the cigar itself. If doesn't matter much what you gift, but in gifting you are recognizing that the person you gifted the cigar to is valued enough to have something from your collection, however humble it may be. Kind of like breaking bread for all to share.
    Wow. That is an excellent analogy, Tony.

Wow. That is an excellent analogy, Tony.
    Once in a while I stumble across something worthwhile...

Thanks Peter

I think a better answer is for you to bring smokes that YOU enjoy. And to share those. One thing you DON'T want to do is to come off as trying to impress. Just be yourself - relax and enjoy.
    Thanks for the advice. I had begun to read reviews and such and what Id seen was when the review rated the cigar poorly I saw the words bland, boring, lacking in flavor etc a lot of bad reviews. I was just thinking that the cigars Im capable of enjoying right now are typically described as mild but Id bet that you guys would think that the were bland while I would be bowled over with flavor.

And Id think that while I was giving you guys the kindergarten smokes that youd be handing me these lethal weapons of good taste. And while Im not trying to impress anyone Id be embarrassed if someone gave me a Ferrari and I reciprocated with a Ford. Somewhere here it says Pay it forward is a lifestyle and Im completely OK searching out interesting cigars that old heads may not have tried yet so I can hold up my side of the bargain even if I may not be ready for those smokes myself.

Dont get me wrong Im not a rich guy but as Ive seen many 9+ rated cigars that a lot of guys have not tried yet (according to reviews) that could be had for $15 or less I think I can do my part to make sure BOTL (my first cigar acronym!!!!!!!) can have an interesting and hopefully even amazing smoke. And if it isnt at a B&M (Im on a roll now!!!!!) I can supply Scotch to beat the band.

KIT, RSVP, AFL-CIO!

Crap, why do I always takke a good thing too far.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoB View Post
    Ahem......Wisconsin / Douche Bag Crew

Sorry Tom, but you're the only one representing Illinois
    We have Illinois reps...they just don't cross the border, the Sallys!!

OK, Illinois MoBsters...you know who you are....you need to commit to the June MoB Herf or the Brewers II Herf....toot sweet!!

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

Thanks for the advice. I had begun to read reviews and such and what Id seen was when the review rated the cigar poorly I saw the words bland, boring, lacking in flavor etc a lot of bad reviews. I was just thinking that the cigars Im capable of enjoying right now are typically described as mild but Id bet that you guys would think that the were bland while I would be bowled over with flavor.

And Id think that while I was giving you guys the kindergarten smokes that youd be handing me these lethal weapons of good taste. And while Im not trying to impress anyone Id be embarrassed if someone gave me a Ferrari and I reciprocated with a Ford. Somewhere here it says Pay it forward is a lifestyle and Im completely OK searching out interesting cigars that old heads may not have tried yet so I can hold up my side of the bargain even if I may not be ready for those smokes myself.

Dont get me wrong Im not a rich guy but as Ive seen many 9+ rated cigars that a lot of guys have not tried yet (according to reviews) that could be had for $15 or less I think I can do my part to make sure BOTL (my first cigar acronym!!!!!!!) can have an interesting and hopefully even amazing smoke. And if it isnt at a B&M (Im on a roll now!!!!!) I can supply Scotch to beat the band.

KIT, RSVP, AFL-CIO!

Crap, why do I always takke a good thing too far.
    If you are really a lover of the leaf your experiences will multiply at a amazing rate,trust me.
    As far as herfing goes,everyone wants to see you not what you have.Hell,it will be a year for me at CS on the 15th.
    I've already been to 3 or 4 herfs in Alexandria at RGDs.I've hosted 3,traveled to 1 and another is coming up.There will be some herfs around the beltway this summer,you can count on that.We'd love to see you come.
    If you can contribute something you like(not cigars),like Scotch maybe
    thats great.Most importantly bring you!
    By the way,my names Dave...Whats yours?(did i miss it?)
    Dave...
    Smoke what *YOU* like,like what you smoke

As has been mentioned....enjoy the herf experience. It's as much about the camaraderie as it is the smokes. In fact, I swear to you, even some of the sticks that I have had on other occasions that I found to be somewhat bland, I have found at a herf that those sticks taste incredibly delicious.

Do NOT be intimidated by your assortment of sticks you're bringing to the herf...with the exception, perhaps, of White Owls, Dutch Masters, Swisher Sweets, and the like! Bring sticks that you personally enjoy to the herf, and gift them to those in attendance. I typically like to take an abundance of sticks, either a humi or traveldor filled with a random variety. When I go...it is my intent that I DO NOT want to come home with the sticks I brought. They are my gift to those in attendance. I have never been disappointed yet...because I come home with both a great experience, some excellent sticks that I have either purchased at the herf location or were gifted to me, and without doubt...some of the finest new friends and brothers that you'll ever want! Don't sweat the herf etiquette stuff...relax and have a great time.

Lastly, it is customary that you pay for the first two lap dances for each of the brothers, if held at a strip club. If not...then a bottle of Crown Royal for each brother in attendance always works nicely, as well.

Puffer Fish with some spikes gene's Avatar

jkim, thanks for asking the question- I'm sure there's more than myself and the few that chymed in that needed some clarification.
    Gene "Doc"
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
    If you are really a lover of the leaf your experiences will multiply.....another is coming up......By the way,my names Dave...Whats yours?(did i miss it?)
    Pleased to meet you Dave, I'm Bryan. Is the one thats coming up open to new people? When is it?
    Look for the book on iTunes and Amazon starting Jan 9, 2012!
    Web: http://www.addydaauthor.com, Twitter : @Addy_da_Author

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast