Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30

This is a discussion on Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30 within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Originally Posted by okierock Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Makers, Elijah Craig, Bulleit I have heard is good though I've not ...

Re: Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30

Quote Originally Posted by okierock View Post
    Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Makers, Elijah Craig,

Bulleit I have heard is good though I've not tried.

Bookers is a little more but excellent.

I'm still a noob in the scotch world and they seem to be more $$$ in general.
    Tomatin is a good single malt that will not set you back much.

Black and White is a pretty good blend.
    There are only two categories of cigars; those you like and those you don't.

It would be really cool for you to give some mini reviews of your seven bourbons.

Tasting things side by side sometimes brings out differences and flavors that you don't notice or can't identify drinking one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Link View Post
    I really like hearing what everyone has to say, thanks and keep it up

I just got back from the liquor store, where I purchased a fifth of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Woodford Reserve. I'm up to 7 bourbon's now, and I haven't had a sip of a single one in at least a month. I'll probably try a few out soon, but learning and collecting has been tons of fun. I have yet to purchase a bottle of scotch, but for some reason I usually like bourbon better anyway. Once I have my bourbon collection established, I'll move on. Thanks for all your input!
    If at first you don't succeed.... your skydiving days are over.

Quote Originally Posted by okierock View Post
    It would be really cool for you to give some mini reviews of your seven bourbons.

Tasting things side by side sometimes brings out differences and flavors that you don't notice or can't identify drinking one alone.
    Great idea, I'll definitely do that! I tried the Buffalo Trace last night, man is that some strong stuff (I'm used to drinking Turkey 101)! Amazing flavor though, I can't wait to try it again once I feel a bit better.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I just bought some Bushmills 10 single malt (Irish Whiskey) for under 30 dollars. I must say it is very smooth.

Does anyone else like Irish whiskey over scotch? How does it compare to other single malts.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami View Post
    I just bought some Bushmills 10 single malt (Irish Whiskey) for under 30 dollars. I must say it is very smooth.

Does anyone else like Irish whiskey over scotch? How does it compare to other single malts.
    I don't know if that is a fair question or not. Given the vast number of Scotches out there, I doubt that there are many who are qualified to say that they like "all" Irish whiskey over "all" Scottish whiskey. However, in my opinion, Bushmills does taste better and is smoother than many Scotches out there. It certainly has a place in my collection of distilled spirits.
    There are only two categories of cigars; those you like and those you don't.

I just picked up another bottle, Elijah Craig. My bar is slowly growing, I'm up to 8 bottles of bourbon/whiskey.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes yourchoice's Avatar

Speyburn is always a good value single malt, IMO. Around 20-25 a bottle... and pretty damn good!

Full grown Puffer Fish Airborne RU's Avatar

When you are talking booze prices, often times it depends on where you live. I remember when I lived in Manhattan there were these booze warehouses and they sold so much volume that all of their normal run (12yo) single malt scotches were under $30 (hard to believe I know). Furthermore in Tennessee the booze taxes are much higher than say Texas (I think that is what I observed recently because I just moved from TN to TX).

That being said I think you should just get a list of the boozes that you want to try and shop around, preferably at a big warehouse type emporium.

Bourbon Recommendations:
    Woodford Reserve (pretty darn good, attractive bottle)
    Makers Mark (very smoove, easy to drink straight or on the rocks)
    KNOB CREEK (Just beaware that the Knob Creek 9 yo is made with some Rye, which will have a spicy "hot" taste to it. It is also 50% alcohol.)
    Jim Beam Black Label 8 yo ? (the one glass I had was very nice)
    I hear that Buffalo Trace is good.

Scotch, single malt:
    Macallan 12 yo (nice sweet balance)
    Glenmorangie (sweet)
    Laphroaig (very peaty)

Others to consider:
    Bushmills

I used to have a substantial collection of single malt scotches, but recently after my father in law gave me some bonafide moonshine (they are from the Kentucky/Tennessee border) I've been trending toward bourbon.

I hope this helps, and I think I'll have a glass of Knob Creek.
    Last edited by Airborne RU; 12-30-2007 at 09:56 PM. Reason: more info
    I am the Kit Fox, I live with uncertainty; if there is anything difficult, if there is anything dangerous to do, that is mine. //from a Sioux Kit Fox Society Song//

Into the real world... OtterAKL4987's Avatar

I like Knob Creek a lot and Maker's Mark is always a good staple. I even like Evan Williams, the regular and the white and green labels as well. EW is hard to beat for a cheapie to mix or on the rocks. Also, as mentioned before Woodford Reserve is great.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Bourbon: Ezra B

Scotch, probably JWBlack (damn fine blend)

Shower Curtain Ring Guy heatmiser's Avatar

Bourbon:
    1) George T Stagg - approx $50 and worth every penny!
    2) Pappy Van Winkle - any bottle but the 15yo is tops for wheaters!
    3) Elmer T Lee - great tasting low cost bourbon

Scotch:
    1) Clynelish 14 - one of the best $50 scotches available!
    2) Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve - great ultra-mellow scotch for around $30
    3) Highland Park 12 - very good but if you can spring for the 18, it is one of the best out there IMO

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mugwump's Avatar

I'm a very cheap bastard when it comes to my hooch and I hate paying just for brand recognition. My go to bourbon is Elijah Craig 12yo and Tennessee whiskey is George Dickel. And put me down as one who prefers Irish over most lower cost Scotch whisky. About the only Scotch I'm willing to pay top dollar for are the Islay Island varieties that have a very unique taste.

Reviving this old thread because it's one of my favorite. I went over budget a bit today and splurged on a bottle of Blanton's, which I've never tried. I'd really like to find a bottle of that George T. Stagg 141.3 proof stuff, is it pretty rare?

As of now, my liquor cabinet consists of:

Bourbon
    Knob Creek
    Evan Williams
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Woodford Reserve
    Blanton's Single Barrel
    Elijah Craig 12 Year

Whiskey
    Crown Royal
    Gentleman Jack

Vodka
    Skyy

Miscelaneous
    Disaronno

Looks like I'm doing a pretty good job acquiring bottles that come highly recommended by my fellow gorillas. I need to revamp my 'to purchase' list. The Disaronno was a gift (ick!), and the Skyy is my go-to drink on the weekends when I plan on consuming large quantities of alcohol (very easy the next morning).

I am a fan of Knob Creek

They make a psychiatrist get psychoanalyzed before he can become certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. Does that seem right to you?
    [SIZE=3]Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Revenge me if I die![/SIZE]

Maturing Puffer Fish

For a good cheap bourbon, Rebel Yell is my choice.

A man I knew recommended it to me and it is all I have been drinking as far as bourbon for a few years now.

It is a fairly sweet bourbon and is easy to drink. Pretty common at liquor stores in the south. You folks up north may have a harder time finding it I would imagine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast