Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30

This is a discussion on Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30 within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Hey everyone. I was out doing some Christmas shopping at the mall and felt that after dealing with that chaos ...

Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30

Hey everyone. I was out doing some Christmas shopping at the mall and felt that after dealing with that chaos I owed myself an early gift, knowing the liquor store was within walking distance. I was running low and/or out of a couple staples, so I picked up a fifth of Crown, Gentleman Jack, and Evan Williams. While in the store I noticed quite a few bottles under $30 that I'd like to try, but I really don't want to waste my money on crap. I figured I'd ask my brothers what they enjoy at under $30 per bottle. Maybe you have a staple that you always keep on hand that you'd like to share? I prefer to drink neat, but cheap quality mixers are always good to have around as well.

Cheers

SvilleKid

Re: Best Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon Under $30

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Link View Post
    Hey everyone. I was out doing some Christmas shopping at the mall and felt that after dealing with that chaos I owed myself an early gift, knowing the liquor store was within walking distance. I was running low and/or out of a couple staples, so I picked up a fifth of Crown, Gentleman Jack, and Evan Williams. While in the store I noticed quite a few bottles under $30 that I'd like to try, but I really don't want to waste my money on crap. I figured I'd ask my brothers what they enjoy at under $30 per bottle. Maybe you have a staple that you always keep on hand that you'd like to share? I prefer to drink neat, but cheap quality mixers are always good to have around as well.

Cheers
    around $50 on Bourbon, I can help (750 ml sizes). Most of the ones that I like neat are single barrel, and these mostly run $40 -$50. Includes Blanton, Birthday Bourbon, Bookers, Coneche Ridge, Basil Hayden. Some slightly under this budget would include Knob Creek, Woodford Ridge, Maker's Mark.

No longer a community member.

I see Knob Creek and Makers Mark in 750 for under $30 often. Those are good, from what I hear.

Awaiting Confirmation

I was running low and/or out of a couple staples, so I picked up a fifth of Crown, Gentleman Jack, and Evan Williams. While in the store I noticed quite a few bottles under $30 that I'd like to try, but I really don't want to waste my money on crap. I figured I'd ask my brothers what they enjoy at under $30 per bottle. Maybe you have a staple that you always keep on hand that you'd like to share? I prefer to drink neat, but cheap quality mixers are always good to have around as well.

Cheers
    Makers Mark is a good go-to. I like Gentleman Jack, but more in the warmer months. Knob Creek is also good. If I was to make a recommendation, I'd say to get a bottle each of Makers and Knob. The flavors are different enough to make it worth having both around.

Quote Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
    Makers Mark is a good go-to. I like Gentleman Jack, but more in the warmer months. Knob Creek is also good. If I was to make a recommendation, I'd say to get a bottle each of Makers and Knob. The flavors are different enough to make it worth having both around.
    Thanks for the advice Mark

I have a little over half of a half gallon of Knob Creek, and unfortunately I wore myself out on Makers Mark taking shots of it in the bar + drinking the 5 (yes FIVE) fifths of it I received for my birthday within a week

Before that MM was my go-to as well

Luvin' me some Lagavulin billybarue's Avatar

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...=62230&page=11

Here is a good post to read through.

Just got a steal on a case of Knob Creek for $21 a bottle. Had to buy the case, but it was worth it. It is becoming one of my favorites.

BillyBarue

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...=62230&page=11

Here is a good post to read through.

Just got a steal on a case of Knob Creek for $21 a bottle. Had to buy the case, but it was worth it. It is becoming one of my favorites.

BillyBarue
    Oh man, split?!

A fine Tennessee whiskey is: George Dickel No.12.
    Excellent deep smoky flavor with a little bite. Still very nice for the money (under $20)

A fine Scotch is John Barr Black. Smooth, flavorful, and inexpensive; John Barr is fantastic.

ATL
    [SIZE="3"]Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one.
    [SIZE="2"]Raul Julia[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Oh man, split?!
    I was actually thinking about it, especially due to some other recent purchases

But shipping would add probably $10 to the cost and by than you can pick it up locally I would think.

Cheers and happy hunting,

BillyBarue

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Spend around $6 or $7 more on your scotch and get a bottle of Highland Park 12
    [SIZE="2"]"Beware the fury of a patient man"[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post
    Spend around $6 or $7 more on your scotch and get a bottle of Highland Park 12
    Now that is some good advice!

Really good bourbons for less than 25$

Evan Williams single barrel
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace

Single Malt Scotch around 30$
    The Dalmore Cigar Malt
    The Dalmore
    Isle of Jura
    Glenfiddich is mid 30$ range

In my opinion and extra 10-20$ in Single malts is going to put you in much better standing.

Blended Scotch, Canadian Whiskey, Rye Other I can't help you with much. Best of luck.
    Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adaquately explained by stupidity.

[quote=Joey Link;1345530]Thanks for the advice Mark

I have a little over half of a half gallon of Knob Creek, and unfortunately I wore myself out on Makers Mark taking shots of it in the bar + drinking the 5 (yes FIVE) fifths of it I received for my birthday within a week
    I just had my college days flash before my very eyes, I remember the "fifth" a day diet. And the green stoges we'd smoke as soon as they would rool them in the "hand rolled" old shops in L.A. And like my pops used to say, "If If's was fifth's, we'd all be drunk".
    Never underestimate the angle of the slope

Awaiting Confirmation

Before that MM was my go-to as well
    Then I suggest something completely different. A rye whiskey.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_u...trero_18th.htm

I love Old Protrero and was fortunate enough to get one of the first 100 bottles offered to the public.

Knob Creek, Makers Mark, 1792, JD Single Barrell
    [SIZE="4"]Oklahoma.......Like the musical without all the singing.[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast