Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What beer (or beer style) goes with what cigar?

This is a discussion on What beer (or beer style) goes with what cigar? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; I am a novice smoker and would like some thoughts as to, what type of beer goes well with what ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Question What beer (or beer style) goes with what cigar?

I am a novice smoker and would like some thoughts as to, what type of beer goes well with what cigar?
    I have a Wee Heavy Scottish Ale, A good Irish Stout, a very potent Porter,
    and a Pale Ale. All in need of the proper smoke.
    Any ideas?
    Shark
    My mind is like an old trap, rusty and lible to spring shut without warning.

Leading Puffer Fish

Re: What beer (or beer style) goes with what cigar?

Smoke what you enjoy.

Drink with it what you enjoy.

That's all that matters.

There are at least as many answers to your question as there are cigars and beers.

He who types in the dark Andyman's Avatar

I actually prefer coffee or a Port -

I think the rule of thumb is to match your drink with the cigar in terms of strength.. So don't pair up a Heavy beer with a connecticut shade wrapped cigar. it will overpower the cigar.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fat Old Sun's Avatar

This is truly a glorious opportunity.

The only way to be sure, is to drink and smoke them in as many combinations as you can. Once you have accomplished this, it is necessary to then repeat the process to rule out any one-off abnormalities. As daunting a task as this may seem, the quality of your findings, the integrity of your research, and the application of scientific method itself, are all dependent on you sampling as many beers and cigars as you possibly can.

It's a dirty job... well, you know how the rest goes

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes ky toker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman
    I actually prefer coffee or a Port -

I think the rule of thumb is to match your drink with the cigar in terms of strength.. So don't pair up a Heavy beer with a connecticut shade wrapped cigar. it will overpower the cigar.

+1

this is what I've experienced most, but if I don't have a choice I'm drinking what I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Old Sun
    This is truly a glorious opportunity.

The only way to be sure, is to drink and smoke them in as many combinations as you can. Once you have accomplished this, it is necessary to then repeat the process to rule out any one-off abnormalities. As daunting a task as this may seem, the quality of your findings, the integrity of your research, and the application of scientific method itself, are all dependent on you sampling as many beers and cigars as you possibly can.

It's a dirty job... well, you know how the rest goes
    Actually, if I recall my statistics classes, I don't think that this would result in a valid sample set. In order to produce statistically valid results and an acceptably low standard deviation, I'm afraid you are going to have to run the tests often enough to be able to reproduce the results consistently. Many times, this can mean five or ten, or even more times. I cannot stress enough that in order to do this correctly, you will have to run these tests over and over again until you get scientifically supportable results. I understand that this could present difficulties, but the rigorous rules of research are there for a reason.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish TheSmokingHiker's Avatar

I usually drink the beer before and after I smoke a cigar. If I want to smoke and drink at the same time, and I gotta have beer, I will go for a nice sweet Lambic Ale. Really, when it comes to drinks I like a nice Cream Soda like a Virgil's. That really does the trick for me. Also, nothing wrong with a bourbon or a scotch to help you smoke a cigar.
    I am Club Stogies favorite Nature loving young hippy...

It is all good

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish al two's Avatar

one thing i've learned is let your cigar pick the drink, especially if you've nevr had that combo before. if you pick your drink first, then base the cigar off that you could be disappointed.

so many times i've done this and it ruined my experience. light the cigar first and puff it for 5 or 10 mins. then think about what kind of drink you want and what specific drink that is.

cheers

I prefer a good strong cup of coffee and a coke. For me coke cleans the palate. Gentlemen Jack doesn't kill your cigar either, Eagle Rare I think is good with a fairly strong stogie.
    Skeeter a bad influence? I think not.

Alpha Puffer Fish cameroncouch02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shark
    I am a novice smoker and would like some thoughts as to, what type of beer goes well with what cigar?
    I have a Wee Heavy Scottish Ale, A good Irish Stout, a very potent Porter,
    and a Pale Ale. All in need of the proper smoke.
    Any ideas?
    Shark
    I truly just enjoy sprite on the rocks.
    Basically a relationship will survive not based on how well you get along, but by how well you don’t get along. A couple is only as “strong” as how well the two individuals can deal with their weakest moments together.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Thanks for all of your inputs.
    I think you all have excellent points, and will be taken to heart.
    Shark
    My mind is like an old trap, rusty and lible to spring shut without warning.

I find that darker, maltier beers do better with cigars.
    the exception is with delicate, conn. shade cigars, then hoppier beers go better.

The CS Little Spoon illuminatus's Avatar

Ya know, I was just having this conversation the other night with SlimDiesel... I've never had a wide experience with beer (read: Bud Select and Corona... liked the corona, wanna try with lime)... and yes, I know Corona is a very weak beer... I like a coke or sprite with a stick, and wanna try the maduro/hot chocolate combo that I keep reading about.. I've got a nice Padron 2000 maddie waiting for me, but no hot chocolate... I'm interested in learning about the world of beer..I hear Altbier is the man to talk to, I may drop him a PM... I can't buy my own beer yet though, which sucks... nother year and a half.. oh well, probably a good thing, as it's money I don't need to spend anyway...
    --The Oompa

Stellis Aequus Durando

Maturing Puffer Fish fitter4570's Avatar

A nice expresso goes great with a good Cigar,New Castle Creek Ale taste just fine too.Depends on what your in the mood for.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish TheSmokingHiker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fitter4570
    A nice expresso goes great with a good Cigar,New Castle Creek Ale taste just fine too.Depends on what your in the mood for.
    What is New Cactle Creek Ale?
    I am Club Stogies favorite Nature loving young hippy...

It is all good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast