Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bourbon and Whiskey

This is a discussion on Bourbon and Whiskey within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Originally Posted by zamco17 According to wisky experts just a tad of water opens up the nose Yeah, I've read ...

Re: Bourbon and Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by zamco17
    According to wisky experts just a tad of water opens up the nose
    Yeah, I've read that too and tried it, but I just couldn't stand to drink diluted scotch. If you're looking to make it go down smooth, ice is the thing to do, but you will sacrifice the taste. I guess it depends on how much you spent on the whisky to begin with. If it's cheaper whisky I can only put Coke in it.

CS Noob Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ezthefix
    Yeah, I've read that too and tried it, but I just couldn't stand to drink diluted scotch. If you're looking to make it go down smooth, ice is the thing to do, but you will sacrifice the taste. I guess it depends on how much you spent on the whisky to begin with. If it's cheaper whisky I can only put Coke in it.
    I disagree, but thats just me...I can't think of a situation that calls for ice lol
    While I tend to disagree with water as well, there IS a place for it...I have found a couple drops of water (and I do mean drops) can open up some malts beautifully, and I like the fact that its a couple drops, not a big hunk of ice that drastically lowers the temp of the scotch and kills most of the flavor.
    YMMV
    Oderint Dum Metuant!
    They shall all drown in lakes of blood, now they will know why they fear the dark, now they will learn why they fear the night!

Puffer Fish with many spikes TU09's Avatar

It should be noted that the purpose of the water is not to "smooth" the flavor of the spirit but rather to open up the nose. Just a small splash will do, be careful not to thin it noticeably, and use good bottled water (tap alters the flavor). Actually 'splash' might be misleading, no more than 1/8 of the drink maybe, never really thought about the ratio.
    Personally, I find that I have trouble picking out flavors when ice is introduced.

CS Noob Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by TU09
    It should be noted that the purpose of the water is not to "smooth" the flavor of the spirit but rather to open up the nose. Just a small splash will do, be careful not to thin it noticeably, and use good bottled water (tap alters the flavor). Actually 'splash' might be misleading, no more than 1/8 of the drink maybe, never really thought about the ratio.
    Personally, I find that I have trouble picking out flavors when ice is introduced.
    Exactly, if my post insinuated that it made it smoother, that was not my intent, to me a few drops of water opens up the nose, makes the flavors more succinct
    Oderint Dum Metuant!
    They shall all drown in lakes of blood, now they will know why they fear the dark, now they will learn why they fear the night!

sorry bout the newb question/ thread jack but is drinking it neat the same as drinking it straight
    "I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time."
    -- Mark Twain

http://img176.echo.cx/img176/1020/pizansig1copy8xx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by il duce
    sorry bout the newb question/ thread jack but is drinking it neat the same as drinking it straight
    Right. Unless I am doing a whisky and coke, I always drink it neat (straight). Just a matter of preference... but oh so good!

Alpha Puffer Fish

A lot depends upon the bourbon LT. Personally, I drink Jim Beam Black over crushed ice. That is how I like it. You need to buy a couple of different bottles and experiment until you find what you prefer.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish LT Rich's Avatar

I had forgotten about this post, now reading it makes me wish for my Labrot and Grhams Woodford Reserve... ohhh sooo sweet... only 2.5 more months.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

LT

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish fitzsmoke's Avatar

Just a splash of good water.
    Life is too short...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2