Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kraken Rum

This is a discussion on Kraken Rum within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Being the start of baseball season I have had ESPN on for over 24 hours. This has led me to ...

JGD

Kraken Rum

Being the start of baseball season I have had ESPN on for over 24 hours. This has led me to watch numerous commercials for Kraken rum. Until now I had never heard of the stuff, but now I want some. Has anyone had some before?

Re: Kraken Rum

I've never tried it either, but I love the presentation of the bottle. I've tried looking for it at a few places, but they weren't carrying it at the time. I believe this has received above average reviews.

Scotch & Cigars

I may have to give it a try, it's going to be hard to pull me away from Ron Zacapa 23 though.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Max_Power's Avatar

That stuff is prominently displayed in a lot of stores near me, but I've not tried it yet. The fact that I really loved the packaging and its affordability made me think the liquid inside may be sub par.

If V is correct about the reviews, I will pick up a bottle next time I'm at the store.
    That which is falling, should also be pushed

Scotch & Cigars

They should have it up the road in Boonton over here as well, maybe I will swing by and see tomorrow.

Newbie in the ocean

I've had it! It's pretty good. You wont taste any wood or aging. It's sweet and spicy; heavy on the molasses. I'd say this would make a tasty rum and coke but it might be too sweet for by itself on the rocks. Spicier than Capt Morgan, closer to Goslings. Smooth and easy drinking.

hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by ed21201 View Post
    I've had it! It's pretty good. You wont taste any wood or aging. It's sweet and spicy; heavy on the molasses. I'd say this would make a tasty rum and coke but it might be too sweet for by itself on the rocks. Spicier than Capt Morgan, closer to Goslings. Smooth and easy drinking.

hope it helps

+1...couldn't explain much better.

The spot I work at has if for 19.99 of 750ml. Thats including everything but sales tax. For the price its rather good.

My roommates love it, I dont really care for it. I think there is better rum out there.
    Boycotting Dr. Pepper cause they killed Dublin Dr.Pepper

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
    I may have to give it a try, it's going to be hard to pull me away from Ron Zacapa 23 though.
    Gotta give you props for pointing out Zacapa!! It's outstanding!

Puffer Fish with some spikes vtxcigar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed21201 View Post

hope it helps
    +1 on this rum being a mixer. IMHO it isn't very drinkable neat or on rocks,
    way too heavy/sweet.

Ray, it will NEVER pull you away from Zacapa Centenario 23, though I
    haven't found a rum I like more neat than that one.
    Last edited by vtxcigar; 04-05-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: to, two, too
    I joined the CRA, how about you?
    http://www.cigarrights.org/

Civilian Mr. Clean Who Killed Thursby?'s Avatar

I prefer Kilo Kai, but Kraken is a solid second for me. I almost exclusively mix rum, as both are fairly sweet to drink straight.

JGD

I bought some the other day and made a drink with it yesterday. It does make a solid rum and diet coke (it may be a bit sweet with regular coke). As many in this thread have said, this is definitely a rum that needs to be mixed.

Full grown Puffer Fish GentlemanJester's Avatar

Jim said it all.

I'll be honest, I was a bit dissapointed. I expected more flavor, and I thought it was over powered.
    Be it a Opus X or a Swisher Sweet, if you like it, smoke it. Cause it's all about the ride!

Full grown Puffer Fish Seminole's Avatar

Great advertising on this product, but as far as spiced rums go, not for me. You definitely don't want to drink this one straight, but is pretty good with coke, ginger ale, ginger beer, and even Dr. Pepper. If you are looking for a good spiced rum with the flavor and a kick that will hold up to being mixed, go with Sailor Jerry's. I've tried most spiced rums on the market, Sailor Jerry's is by far the best all around spiced rum IMO.

For you guys that like Zacapa (A little too sweet for me), expand a bit and try El Dorado 15 or older and Angostura 1824. Still has a little sweetness that you like, just not as heavy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast