Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to serve with a Filet Mignon

This is a discussion on What to serve with a Filet Mignon within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Hello, all! Hope the day greets you well. So, I'm not an exactly active member, I do lurk a lot, ...

Fumo ergo sum

What to serve with a Filet Mignon

Hello, all! Hope the day greets you well.

So, I'm not an exactly active member, I do lurk a lot, but I mostly feel I don't have much to contribute... especially since I'm broke and haven't had a decent cigar in months... (*sniff*) Anyway. I come asking for help from those more experienced than myself.

Today, a very special lady is having her birthday. Tomorrow, she's coming over, and as part of her present will be receiving a lovingly prepared home-cooked meal. I've already decided on filet mignon with mushrooms, but I can't think of anything else to put on the plate.

Any suggestions for sides and especially what kind of wine to serve would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Preferably things that one can reasonably expect to find at the local supermarket, but if you think it'll be a good addition, please do suggest anything.
    "Tobacco is the passion of honest men and he who lives without tobacco is not worthy of living." - Moliere

Re: What to serve with a Filet Mignon

I'm not a wine-o by any stretch but a nice sweet-dry red goes great with beef. A good bottle that wont set you back too much is House Red, its like $12 a bottle. As far as sides, a baked potato is very classic and you can dress it anyway to fit your individual tastes. I would also recommend looking at a farmers market or produce stand / not grocery store for some fresh veggies you can steam. They are incredibly delicous and steaming them will add some bright colors and freshness to the plate. Almost everything should be in season now, so there are bound to be some deals. I'd stay away from the more niche veggies like asparagus unless you know she likes them.

I hope that helps!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

No longer a community member.

No matter how things turn out on the plate, she will remember your efforts and charm. One of the things I like to do is to carmalize some onions then add the mushrooms until almost cooked then deglaze the pan with a little bit of the wine you are going to drink. Make sure you open the bottle 1 hour prior to drinking (yes all wines vary but its a good starting point for breathing). A good red potato mash with skins on, add a little buttermilk, butter and garlic, then for a veg I love asparagus on a pan drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a little lemon pepper and broil for about 12-15 minutes. Either way remember to have fun! Good luck

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skfr518 View Post
    No matter how things turn out on the plate, she will remember your efforts and charm. One of the things I like to do is to carmalize some onions then add the mushrooms until almost cooked then deglaze the pan with a little bit of the wine you are going to drink. Make sure you open the bottle 1 hour prior to drinking (yes all wines vary but its a good starting point for breathing). A good red potato mash with skins on, add a little buttermilk, butter and garlic, then for a veg I love asparagus on a pan drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a little lemon pepper and broil for about 12-15 minutes. Either way remember to have fun! Good luck
    Listen to this brother...everything he said is right on target and everything I would have suggested. Now I'm hungry!!
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

No longer a community member.

thanks Gary!

Also not sure if you are used to cooking filet mignon but its extremely important to let it come to room temp before putting on the grill. Due to the thickness of the cut you don't want it to be on the grill too long trying to cook the center that is cold because you will burn the outside. I only use a dash of salt and pepper for that cut. Ok off my soap box

I hope all goes well for you!

Fumo ergo sum

A sweet-dry, huh? I'll keep that in mind. And the veggies; they hadn't even crossed my mind... I'm still not used to making "rabbit food" on purpose, even if I do like it.

I know she'll appreciate the effort, but I've cooked for her many times before. I want to make this meal in particular stand out, which is why I want to make one of her favorite dishes with one of her (if not the) favorite ingredients - the mushrooms. And am open to just about any suggestion that might enhance the eating experience. Mostly since I was kinda drawing blanks trying to come up with good stuff.

No, I'm not used to making filet.. it's my first time. *gulp* But I have read several recipes and seen a few videos, trying to make sure I know everything I can before I give it a shot.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and the good luck - I'm sure I'll need it!

Edit: Still unsure if I should marinade or just season it. Thoughts on this?
    "Tobacco is the passion of honest men and he who lives without tobacco is not worthy of living." - Moliere

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

I'd just season it.
    The red potato's and asparagas are great with almost any steak.

As for inexpensive good red's.

Menage a Trois red table wine
    Rosemount shiraz
    Any Argentina malbec's are usually good

The above are not too dry and not too sweet and can be found most places.

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Grill some portabello mushrooms,just remember to remove the gills, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper....mighty good.
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skfr518 View Post
    thanks Gary!

Also not sure if you are used to cooking filet mignon but its extremely important to let it come to room temp before putting on the grill. Due to the thickness of the cut you don't want it to be on the grill too long trying to cook the center that is cold because you will burn the outside. I only use a dash of salt and pepper for that cut. Ok off my soap box

I hope all goes well for you!
    Excellent points on cooking Filet or any other thick cuts of meat. I like Filets and ChateauBriand....and my all time favorite...2 1/2 inch Rib Eye. Good food is important and my wife is an excellent cook/chef and can make anything so I'm fortunate to have her. We like to travel so our tastes tend to run all over the board...she hopes to get some great recipes in Nov when we go to Europe.

I think you have some great ideas as far as cooking goes...don't be a stranger when it comes to ideas on here...I for one am very entertained by those who can turn food into something amazing. ( stay on the soap box...you do a good job )
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

I don't know the recipe, but my Dad makes killer red wine/beef risotto. It may be more of a winter side, but when done right it is pretty much an explosion of flavors in your mouth. It does take a good amount of time and effort though, but it seems like you're willing to do that for the special lady.

For me, I usually do sea salt and fresh cracked pepper on steaks about 30 minutes before cooking. Gives it the perfect taste IMHO.

By the way... feel free to post more. Even if you think you have nothing to contribute, you may just be self conscious about it. We're all BOTL's here and any (constructive) input on threads is appreciated even if you think it has been said before. Everyone brings something unique to the table.

Good ideas all. ^^^^

With the mushrooms, either the grilled portabellos or if you want to go with "regular" mushrooms, you can cut them in half and sautee them on the stove with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, toss in some butter towards the end for richness. Not too early as butter has a very low "burn" temperature and wouldn't make the whole cook time.

When I cook a nice cut of beef I want the beef to be the centerpiece, so I tend to unclutter once the main dish is served.

I've been enjoying Argentinian red wines lately, so that's what I personally would stick to.

Does she like bleu cheese? Start her off with a small glass of red, a hunk of bleu and a hunk of fresh baguette. If she's not a fan, and only if you can get decent heirloom tomatoes, start her instead with a small glass of red and a tomato salad (coarse ground salt, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and razor-thin cut shallots [or onion if you need to substitute]).

With the meat (just a few dashes of coarse ground pepper and salt, no marinating needed) I would keep it simple. A few slices of onion and a few mushrooms (cooked in butter with a dash of balsamic vinegar) with two or three boiled small red potatoes. Compliment the main course with a larger glass of wine and you're golden!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vhazhiphor View Post
    Hello, all! Hope the day greets you well.

So, I'm not an exactly active member, I do lurk a lot, but I mostly feel I don't have much to contribute... especially since I'm broke and haven't had a decent cigar in months... (*sniff*) Anyway. I come asking for help from those more experienced than myself.

Today, a very special lady is having her birthday. Tomorrow, she's coming over, and as part of her present will be receiving a lovingly prepared home-cooked meal. I've already decided on filet mignon with mushrooms, but I can't think of anything else to put on the plate.

Any suggestions for sides and especially what kind of wine to serve would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Preferably things that one can reasonably expect to find at the local supermarket, but if you think it'll be a good addition, please do suggest anything.

A nice fresh tossed salad with all your favorite vegetables! Don't be afraid to experiment but if you plan on kissing later hold the raw onions! Twice baked potatoes steak fries onion rings are a nice complement as well! For wine i like a dry red preferably something made with Sangiovese, a red grape Chianti is my personal favorite! But too dry for some there are other red wines not too dry Brunello comes to mind. Made with these grapes from different regions of Italy! If you do go with a Chianti Make sure there is a Rooster on the label this assures a quality hand made traditional wine!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Well my mouth is watering right now - that's for sure! You've got some pretty good consensus

= don't marinate / salt & pepper
    = definitely get steak to room temp before cooking
    = salad and a steak - what's not to love
    = potatoes and steak - ditto above (even if it's a simple baked potato with some sides)
    = RED wine - a must. This is probably the trickiest part because like cigars our tastes vary so much. Personally I'm a big fan of Australian reds but not Greg Norman's (their mid price Australians fit my pallete quite well)

AND, I learned something today: I had no idea authentic Chianti's have a rooster on the label!!! Thanks Tony!

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

This thread is sorely lacking in the meat department. Needs to be corrected. This was last Wednesday:

Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast