Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Looking to by cognac for the first time, any recommendations?

This is a discussion on Looking to by cognac for the first time, any recommendations? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; I am planning on buying Cognac for the first time, and need some good recommendations for a first time cognac ...

Young Puffer Fish

Looking to by cognac for the first time, any recommendations?

I am planning on buying Cognac for the first time, and need some good recommendations for a first time cognac drinker. I like fruits. I like sweetness but don't know if there is a cognac like that. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Re: Looking to by cognac for the first time, any recommendations?

Remy Martin VSOP, so easy to drink.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish pittjitsu's Avatar

I love Maison Prunier, its hard to find but worth the search. If you like a young, fruity, fiery cognac, or are planning to mix the cognac then choose a VS(very special). If you like something mellow, most people gravitate toward a VSOP(Very Superior Old Pale). The XOs,(extra olds) while very smooth and nice, are by far the most expensive with a starting cost of about $100 a bottle and going up into the thousands!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish bazookajoe8's Avatar

VSOP is the lowest i can go with cognac unless we are mixing then VS is just fine. for the first time Hennessey or Courvoisier i think is a little more on the fruity side. I always feel Remy is a little spicy for my taste

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Good recommendations. If you like slightly sweet and fruit notes you might try some port also.