Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Any home brewers out there?

This is a discussion on Any home brewers out there? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; There will still be plenty of yeast floating around. Leave as much as you can behind....

Full grown Puffer Fish liquidicem's Avatar

Re: Any home brewers out there?

There will still be plenty of yeast floating around. Leave as much as you can behind.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish teamgotoil's Avatar

Ok... so today was 8 days in secondary with the cherry puree. You guys suggested bottling after 7 days. It is still bubbling in the airlock. Should I wait until it stops? Or, should I prepare to bottle soon? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

We just brewed a black IPA. Thank goodness we rigged up a blow off tube because after a day in the primary, the fermentation shot through the roof and would have blown through an airlock no problem. Pretty excited about it... first brew we've had to dry hop. I'm just glad I convinced my friends to do a more excited beer than the irish red and honey wheat we've brewed before.

STill a bit too warm to brew without a swamp cooler....so I'm patiently marking up recipes and (of course) adding empty bottles to my stash.

In the chute with be a nice hefe (missed the brew window earlier and we went from winter to summer in a wee).

Hoppy Porter

90 Schilling Scottish

Should have a nice batch aging for Christmas if I stay on schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by teamgotoil View Post
    Ok... so today was 8 days in secondary with the cherry puree. You guys suggested bottling after 7 days. It is still bubbling in the airlock. Should I wait until it stops? Or, should I prepare to bottle soon? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Do not bottle until it stops bubbling! 7 days is a good number to shoot for, but fermentation does things on its own time. :-) Don't worry about it. Wait till its done.

Ok, thanks for the info. Hopefully soon, as I am at 9 days now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    Do not bottle until it stops bubbling! 7 days is a good number to shoot for, but fermentation does things on its own time. :-) Don't worry about it. Wait till its done.

BTW, should I pull the lid and take a gravity reading?

HIM

No just let it ferment out and give it time for the yeast to flocc out.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Fermentation can easily take a few weeks. Check gravity if in doubt. Unless your temps are in the 70's or higher, a few weeks will not hurt, but may actually help the process complete the cycle. I never bottle before at least 3 weeks with ales, especially if temps are at the low range of the yeast.

Best!

HIM

To me the giveaway is when the yeast flocc out. Gravity readings are definitely a for sure thing but generally once a yeast has floccd out its done fermenting. From there just give it a few days on the cake to clean up and all is good. Agreed on the time, I usually bottle around 17-21 days if I'm not adding fruit or other fermentables.

Thanks for the info guys. At this point, I brewed this batch on 8/18. It has now been in secondary for 10 days. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be ready to bottle!

HIM

Since you did add fruit I'd take gravity readings a day apart to make sure. You don't want 2 cases of bottle bombs.

Okay. Looking for consistent readings, correct? And, with it being 10 days, should I expect problems such as mold or other?

It will be 13 days if I start taking readings tonight...

Okay. Looking for consistent readings, correct? And, with it being 10 days, should I expect problems such as mold or other?
    It will be 13 days if I start taking readings tonight...
    Mold is always possible if the fruit is floating on top. I would at the minimum swirl it a little to cover the fruit with beer, an alcoholic environment makes it very difficult for mold to grow. You could also stir it in with a sanitized spoon.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast