Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

A good craft beer selection...

This is a discussion on A good craft beer selection... within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; that Ayinger Dunkel looks really good..time to search my beer retailer CraftBeerKings and beeradvocate. I wonder if Dunkel is perfect ...

Newbie in the ocean

Re: A good craft beer selection...

that Ayinger Dunkel looks really good..time to search my beer retailer CraftBeerKings and beeradvocate. I wonder if Dunkel is perfect for fall season.

Puffer Fish with many spikes pippin925's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ezlevor View Post
    Just finished a dogfish head 60 minute IPA.

Anyone here on Untappd? You can find me on there with the same username as I have on here.
    I never heard of it until now, but it looks cool. I'll be giving it a try.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." T. Roosevelt

Imperial Russian Stout. My pour was a tad too aggressive

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

Untappd is fun... it forces me to try different beers because I always want to earn the next badge!

Plus it's an easy way to keep track of beers you've tried and liked. I've often times searched through my past beers to see if I've tried something and to see how I rated it if I'm going to buy more or order it from a bar.

Cigar city. Brown Ale

Leading Puffer Fish baddddmonkey's Avatar

Been off the board for quite a while, but used to have a lot of fun on this thread. Looks like a few of you have been enjoying some good brews! Here are a few that I've enjoyed the most since I've been on here:

Some Heady

PtE - I like it, but don't think it's worth 40 phone calls lol. PM me if you really like it - it can be had easier.

KBS

Cantillon RdG

SeVIIn

Darkness - one of my favorites and I'm getting pumped for the event in a little over a week.

Parabola

Some Bois from the Bruery

Consecration

Bourbon County

@mpls - that's a seller line up of beers. Nicely done! BTW how is the Founders KBS? I've been wanting to try that one.

Stone 17th Anniversary IPA

Quote Originally Posted by pippin925 View Post
    @mpls - that's a seller line up of beers. Nicely done! BTW how is the Founders KBS? I've been wanting to try that one.
    Thanks Scott!

I have a few thoughts on KBS. It's really good, but I prefer other BA Stouts over it. When you drink it fresh there is a lot of coffee present, but after a while it starts to fade. For that reason in particular, you have some who prefer it fresh and some who like it more without the coffee. Not sure which way I prefer it, as it almost becomes two different beers and both are enjoyable.

A lot compare KBS to FBS(Founders Breakfast Stout), but they are completely different recipes even before the barrel aging process. I like BA brews a lot, so I'd give the nod to KBS even though FBS is my favorite coffee/chocolate/breakfast stout. In all honesty though, I really enjoy FIS(Founders Imperial Stout).

To each their own, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin925 View Post
    This was the first time I ever kept beer for an extended period of time. Usually I just drink them up as I get them. But I bought a few cases of this last year and kept it in our pantry and just put a 6 pack at a time in the fridge. I forgot about it and saw I still had some left so I put the last 6 pack in the fridge recently and everything was good. No off flavor or anything. I think being kept in dark space is important so the beer doesn't oxidize. I'd say, buy a case of the octoberfest, store it in a closest and just chill them down as you drink them
    Yeah, to touch on this note, beer cellaring...I don't claim to be an expert, but do have some experience in this area. The absolute most important is as Scott said - dark, as in absolutely no direct sunlight touching your beer. You'll notice some serious craft beer stores will actually black out their windows. Then next main thing is the temp.

Ideal temps are between 55 and 65 degrees. The higher the temp, the faster the beer will age, but you do want to keep it below 70 for good measure. If conditions get much cooler than 55 you're delaying the aging process and somewhat defeating the purpose of a cellar. That's about all there is to a beer cellar, but we should talk a little about what beers to place in there.

The main beers meant for aging (or can be aged), are big stouts, some large porters, sours, most large Belgian ales and barleywines. Sours tend to get more sour if they are made with wild yeast (think of sour milk, but tastes much better). Aside from sours, I wouldn't age anything holding less than 8% abv as they simply don't have the backbone for any benefit. If your beer isn't going to benefit from aging, drink it as fresh as possible.

The smell and flavor of hops will be the first thing most of us notice to go. While a few people might hang on to a 10% IPA for a while to basically turn it into a barleywine, I sure as hell don't. If I want a barleywine, I buy one - not ruin an IPA to get one.

Anyhow, here's a pretty out dated pic of my cellar. This is part of my cellar, but you get the idea - cool and dark. It's in an unfinished part of my basement (laundry/utility room).

My last comment is, if you're really questioning if the beer is meant to be aged - enjoy it fresh, you'll be much happier.

Brought some barrel aged stouts to a buddies this afternoon.

Nicely done Every time I'm up in Cleveland for work I make it a point to drink as much Great Lakes brewing as I can. Really solid offerings and some unique brews. I wish they distributed here in Florida.

They distribute GL to MN, but unfortunately not the BA Blackout. I actually traded for most of those brews.

In FL you access to some good local stuff like cigar city and pegs cantina. Jai Alai and Hunahpu are both delicious.

Young Fish

Holy crap, mpls. You have some great stuff there.

I admit I am not a huge cellar beer guy, I'd rather drink it fresh. But you do have a few there that should age quite well.

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast