Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Pepper Heads?

This is a discussion on Pepper Heads? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Cool man...I'll check out that site....

Full grown Puffer Fish ColdSmoker's Avatar

Re: Pepper Heads?

Cool man...I'll check out that site.

Holy sh!t @HIM ...that is overwhelming!

Can you make suggestions on maybe three or four varieties? I'd like to make some sauce and also roast some in the smoker...

HIM

Lol yea the first time you see that site is very overwhelming for a pepper head. What kind of heat level do you like and are used to? Like is eating a whole habanero gonna kill you or does that sounds fun? Are you like me and are into always pushing yourself to eat hotter and hotter foods?

Just trying to get an idea of what to recommend.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Let's see...whole habanero doesn't sound fun, but I definitely tolerate well above the heat norm. I can eat the hell out of Sriracha, but even that will get to be a little too much in large doses, but I'm willing to go beyond that.

HIM

I'd say go for some chocolate habaneros(amazing looking peppers), Datil, the "Cayenne Blend", Fatali or the Fluorescent Purple Peppers. The Hot Lemons look good too. The cayenne blend and purple peppers both put out some really cool colored peppers with the latter being an entirely purple plant. Being aestheticstically pleasing in your yard they kinda serve a dual purpose too. I'm interested to know what you end up getting so let me know.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Butch-t TS anyone? I pulled the trigger last year on some seeds, and got a few nice pods off of it, but those things were like swallowing napalm.... I will be sticking with the standard habs for the home garden and only pulling out the butch-t's for my competition chili.

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    Lol yea the first time you see that site is very overwhelming for a pepper head. What kind of heat level do you like and are used to? Like is eating a whole habanero gonna kill you or does that sounds fun? Are you like me and are into always pushing yourself to eat hotter and hotter foods?

Just trying to get an idea of what to recommend.
    I'm sort of learning that it's probably too late to grow plants from seed this season. I'll have to find some starts... I'll go through some farmers markets and find the best ones.

HIM

If you do a little searching you may be able to find some farmers with some cool pepper strains. Ask if they know the scollville range and then compare that to jalapeņos or habaneros to get an idea of how hot they'll be.

Tim- I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant, not the butch t kind, and I'm hoping to get pods this year. I've heard they're crazy hot so I'm excited to see for myself.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

yea, the TS is still a bad mamma jamma.... BUT if you like the heat, they are pretty good.

HIM

That's what I heard from my buddy in NY. This past season was his first time growing em and he said they were awesome. But that they were no joke on the heat.

Went to the nursery and found some starts. Pretty much covered the entire top end of the heat scale. Here's what I got:

Ghost (2)
    Habanero
    Piquin
    Cayenne (2)

HIM

That's a pretty good snag man. As you already know ghost peppers have a hell of a bite. But it's good because you only need a little to go a long way in a sauce or spice rub. Just make sure to wear gloves when handling the plant or you'll regret it.
    Interested in a trade for some of those ghost seeds once you get pods?

For sure! I could see this pepper thing being a nice addition to the cigar hobby. Where they will sit is right next to where I smoke on my deck. The Nursery I went to for these is insane....check this place out.

Panoram!
    Attachment 77103

Worlds Largest Hanging Basket

They even have an Aussie Shepherd to help load your purchase
    Last edited by ColdSmoker; 05-01-2013 at 11:45 AM.

HIM

That's pretty damn cool. I've certainly turned my love for spicy things into another hobby of mine. Going hot sauce tasting is one of my favorite things to do. Especially with a group of friends cause then you really see who can and can't handle the heat. Always a fun time.

@HIM

What size pots do you have your pepper plants in?

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast