Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Pepper Heads?

This is a discussion on Pepper Heads? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; I believe they are 6 gallon. You can get bigger ones and have two plants per pot without issues though. ...

HIM

Re: Pepper Heads?

I believe they are 6 gallon. You can get bigger ones and have two plants per pot without issues though. I'll double check the container sizes tomorrow in the daylight and let you know. Just make sure you mix a lot of perlite in with whatever potting mix you use so the roots get really good drainage and can breathe. Some compost in there is also good, preferably cow not chicken if you have the choice. This will help with slow release nutes to give the plants stuff to snack on between feedings down the road as well as promoting good microbial health in the soil. Which can help the plant fight off disease and such, which Epsom salt also helps with in addition to helping flowers set fruit.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

HIM

Picked some cayennes off the plants last night to use for some baked chicken and these little firecrackers packed a nice punch for being cayennes. Was pleasantly surprised. I'm harvesting the seeds as well so if anyone wants a few we can work something out.

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

Hey Cole I tried replying to your message, but the damn computer quit on me. So here we go again.

This year I'm going to have:

Red and Yellow Jolokias
    Red and Yellow Scorpions
    Red and Chocolate 7 Pots
    Red Scotch Bonnets
    Chocolate Habs
    Red Devil's Tongues
    Yellow Fatalii
    and Jalapenos Heaven Hybrids

If you or anyone else wants any seeds, let me know by August and I'll do my best to get you some.

I'm not big on trading because most often than not somebody ends up getting upset and I don't care for that. If you want them, I'll be happy to share the wealth if Mother Nature decides to bless me with a good harvest. I'll placing people in order in which the contact me in. Don't worry Cole or Tim, you two are at the top.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Good deal man. I would love to try growing that oddball choc. 7pot. It would be nice to have them around for special occasions.

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by Regiampiero View Post
    Hey Cole I tried replying to your message, but the damn computer quit on me. So here we go again.

Red and Yellow Jolokias
    Red and Yellow Scorpions
    Red and Chocolate 7 Pots
    Red Scotch Bonnets
    Chocolate Habs
    Red Devil's Tongues
    Yellow Fatalii

If you or anyone else wants any seeds, let me know by August and I'll do my best to get you some.

I'm not big on trading because most often than not somebody ends up getting upset and I don't care for that. If you want them, I'll be happy to share the wealth if Mother Nature decides to bless me with a good harvest. I'll placing people in order in which the contact me in. Don't worry Cole or Tim, you two are at the top.
    I got your message and replied, not sure if you got it. As for the trade, I'd be more than happy to send a nice thank you package of cigars. I know id be happy with any amount of seeds from the superhots youve got. Or to trade my hot sauces for yours. It's always fun trying someone else's hot sauce and seeing the differences compared to my own. Good luck with the grow season and please post some pics of those beauties once they start dropping fruit!!

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    I got your message and replied, not sure if you got it. As for the trade, I'd be more than happy to send a nice thank you package of cigars. I know id be happy with any amount of seeds from the superhots youve got. Or to trade my hot sauces for yours. It's always fun trying someone else's hot sauce and seeing the differences compared to my own. Good luck with the grow season and please post some pics of those beauties once they start dropping fruit!!
    Has I've said before Cole. I'm not into the whole trade thing simply because most people will eventually feel like they go screwed some how, but I'll also not refuse something in return. I'm Italian for those of you who don't know, and they way wee do things is usually really casual. I'll give you something today and you'll give me something tomorrow, with no preconceived expectations. We have a saying in Sicily that goes "One hand washes the other, and both wash their face". It might lose a little in translation, but it essentially means that if you give with no assumption of receiving, you'll make friends that will help you achieve more than you both individually can. Might be a bit corny for some, but its a saying I live by.

As far as me trying your sauces and vice-versa, I'm sure we can work something out. Right now I'm actually trying to get a hold of bottles with drop counters so that I can put my 7 Pot sauce in it. If I get a few 2 to 4oz bottles, I'll be sure to send you guys some.

As far has my salsas, it might get a bit tricky since some of the ingredients I use in salsa might spoil in the mail (last thing I want to do is give someone food poisoning). I might just give you guys the recipes so that you can make them yourselves, just don't be disappointed when I don't give you the recipes of my secret salsas. It took me months to develop those, and I'm not going to give them easily!

Full grown Puffer Fish ColdSmoker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Regiampiero View Post

Red and Yellow Jolokias
    Red and Yellow Scorpions
    Red and Chocolate 7 Pots
    Red Scotch Bonnets
    Chocolate Habs
    Red Devil's Tongues
    Yellow Fatalii

You could kill a village of people with all that heat!

I'm going to save seeds from all the plants I grow this year...hopefully we can all do a nice swap this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoker View Post
    You could kill a village of people with all that heat!

I'm going to save seeds from all the plants I grow this year...hopefully we can all do a nice swap this fall.
    I'm definitely in because next year I'm looking to move and I don't know if I'm going to have the possibility to have all this variety.

Also...the villagers are safe until they come out with the Napalm Pepper. Here that scientist...get to work!

HIM

Sounds good to me man. Just trying to return the gesture. Something you may consider since its cheap but good to know is... Send your sauce or salsas off for PH testing. I did it with my sauce to make sure the ph was too low for it to go bad or make anyone sick from not being in the fridge after opening. I think it cost $20.
    I dunno about a Napalm Pepper but the Carolina Reaper is supposed to be some serious sh!t!

I can actually check the pH, after all you would think I would remember I'm an Environmental Engineer. I'm telling you...get me talking about peppers or cigars and I'm in a different world. Tanks for the idea.

HIM

Giampiero Ive got to give you some serious credit. Your about as crazy about peppers as myself and on top of your game too!! RG for you good sir!!

How many pods per season have you been getting with your scorpions? Assuming youve grown them before. Im wondering what to expect from my only scorpion this year.
    Last edited by HIM; 05-13-2013 at 09:53 PM.

ISO Tat Jibarro,Maravilla whodeeni's Avatar

Wow! You guys are real sick wit it! *lol* I only wish I had the time to dedicate
    to growing some peppers in my back yard this summer but I'm plowing ahead w/
    my business right now! Maybe next summer!

On another note last week I found a bottle of the worlds hottest sauce (some type of indian pepper)
    and sunday night I found a bottle of ghost pepper barbecue sauce! Funny thing was it had the
    'consistency' of a marinade! It was made with some type of ale!
    If smoking cigars is on the "Darkside".... I don't think i'll ever see the "Light!!!

HIM

What was the name of the sauce? The current record holder for the hottest pepper is called the Carolina Reaper clocking in at an average 1,474,000 SHU. With the Moruga Scorpion coming in just behind that with a high of 2,009,000 SHU and an average of 1,207,764 SHU.

Giampiero I'm not sure if your Chocolate 7pots are the same cross but I found some info saying Chocolate 7pots clocked in right behind the Moruga with a high of 1,853,936 SHU and avg of 1,169,058 SHU. Those are some mean peppers man!!

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    What was the name of the sauce? The current record holder for the hottest pepper is called the Carolina Reaper clocking in at an average 1,474,000 SHU. With the Moruga Scorpion coming in just behind that with a high of 2,009,000 SHU and an average of 1,207,764 SHU.

Giampiero I'm not sure if your Chocolate 7pots are the same cross but I found some info saying Chocolate 7pots clocked in right behind the Moruga with a high of 1,853,936 SHU and avg of 1,169,058 SHU. Those are some mean peppers man!!
    Oh they are damn HOT! I thought they would be on par or below the Jolokias. Boy was I wrong, and I diluted the 7 pot sauce I made with chocolate habs. I would guess its close to twice as hot as the Jolokias, which would place them around the 2,000,000 SHU mark. I would be curious if I can have them tested at my local university. I got to check that out.

As for the pod count. I only grew the red scorpions last year and I didn't have a really good yield as with all the red stuff. I don't know what happened. I got about 6-10 pods per plant from my jolokias, red 7 pot and the red skorpions. Still had enough seeds to make another 5 local growers happy! My chocolate peppers (Both 7 pots and habs) were crazy productive with 50+ pods per plant. Also the yellow fatalii did pretty good with around 20-30. You should try the fatalii, they taste like a peach before they kick you in the balls. I make my mango salsa with them, yum.

This year I won't pot everything as I did last year, instead I'll put two in the garden and two in the pots. Maybe there's a difference in soil pH or alkalinity that I'm not taking into account.

As for you. I wouldn't be discouraged for this year. I manage to get 6-10 pods in "Michigan" where we didn't have a freaking summer last year! This year is not looking any better

HIM

It would be cool if they could test em for you. I know New Mexico State does all sorts of that so maybe that's an option somehow too. Your yield sounds similar to a friend of mine in NY experience with his nagas. He thinks the plants just need to be bigger for a better harvest maybe that could be it for you too? Are you growing from seed every season or bringing them indoors over winter?
    I have to check out those fatalii they sound like they'd be perfect in my tropical hot sauce.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast