Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Pepper Heads?

This is a discussion on Pepper Heads? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; I did at a few years ago. I had a couple of jolokias that were 36" high. I didn't want ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

Re: Pepper Heads?

I did at a few years ago. I had a couple of jolokias that were 36" high. I didn't want them at home over the winter (No good heated southern window), so I brought them at the office where we have a couple of huge south facing windows. It also gave me more time to enjoy them has they were getting bigger. The Following spring, my father (An old mentality gardener) thought to himself that the plants wouldn't flower anymore and therefore it was pointless to keep them around. So he took them and threw them out, so he could use the pots. I was Irate when I found out! At that point I got pissed off so bad I decided not to grow them anymore. What's the point of growing a plant that will not yield any froots unless to can keep it safe over the winter?!

Last year I decided to do it again because I set up a small greenhouse and I thought that it would work out. Not so much! I lost all my pots. This year I'm starting over and I'm going to figure out something else yet. If anyone has any ideas, please help me.

HIM

I'll ask my buddy in Rochester and see if he has any tips. I'm pretty sure he keeps his in his basement or garage then brings them outside come spring.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Pepper head here. Have tons of ultra hots. Scorpions, Brain Strains, 7 Pots, Jolokia ect....

HIM

Welcome to puff man. Jealous of your selection. I've never tried the Brain Strain but it sounds like a good pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    Welcome to puff man. Jealous of your selection. I've never tried the Brain Strain but it sounds like a good pepper.
    I have a ton of seeds and would be willing to share if you need any!

Looking through my seeds, just realized I have a lot more variations that I thought.. Doulahs, Multiple chocolate, yellow, purple variations of the bhut or scorpion... and about 5 different 7 pot variations!

HIM

Man youve really got some stock!!! You have chocolate scorps?!?

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    Man youve really got some stock!!! You have chocolate scorps?!?
    Yes I do! I can't really grow them where I am at the moment, I just do not get enough sun outside where I can put my pots... Therefore I have a ton of seeds from the last few years.
    Last edited by GnarlyEggs; 06-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.

HIM

That's like a stock pile of napalm lol

Full grown Puffer Fish ColdSmoker's Avatar

when are my cayannes going to turn red?

How do I know when these puppies are done?

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoker View Post
    when are my cayannes going to turn red?

How do I know when these puppies are done?
    They'll stay green while they grow in size then they'll start to change color. This can take a few days to a week depending on the amount of sun. When they get a nice deep red they're ready. If they're fire truck red then your close. The more you let them mature the more heat they'll have as well. BTW did the Epsom salt help?

Kinda off topic but that's one thing I hate about how people grow jalapeņos... They don't let them turn red and mature which robs the pepper of reaching its maximum heat.

Full grown Puffer Fish ColdSmoker's Avatar

Well my cayenne plant is ridiculous. They are only now starting to show signs of redness but barely. I just tried one and it was hot! There are probably two hundred peppers on this plant. I'm thinking about cutting all the flowers so it can focus on the fruit that's already started. Seem reasonable?

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Anyone have any species of Trinidad scorpions i am really wanting to try some.. Thinking about growing some next year..

Been eating ghost pepper cheese but wanting hotter... Lol
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    Anyone have any species of Trinidad scorpions i am really wanting to try some.. Thinking about growing some next year..

Been eating ghost pepper cheese but wanting hotter... Lol
    I was actually going to ask the same thing. My scorpion plant died recently moving into my new house. Pretty upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoker View Post
    Well my cayenne plant is ridiculous. They are only now starting to show signs of redness but barely. I just tried one and it was hot! There are probably two hundred peppers on this plant. I'm thinking about cutting all the flowers so it can focus on the fruit that's already started. Seem reasonable?
    I wouldn't cut the flowers. How much direct sun are the peppers getting? If you want you can clip the big ones and leave them in the sun to ripen up. The fact you have that many peppers on one plant means you've got a really healthy plant.

HIM

Don't know why I never mentioned it before but it just came to me as I looked in my fridge. Does anyone else put their peppers in bottles of soy sauce or vinegar? Great way to infuse some heat into your foods.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast