Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Pepper Heads?

This is a discussion on Pepper Heads? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Put me down for last two spots? Can't copy and paste from phone...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Sp@rky426's Avatar

Re: Pepper Heads?

Put me down for last two spots? Can't copy and paste from phone

HIM

You got it.... Lists are filled.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by SystemError View Post
    1. ScottW
    2. Beercritic
    3. Desertlifter
    4.ezlevor
    5. OnePyroTec
    6. Frazef
    7. zlc410
    8. pippin925
    9. Superman0234
    10. fuente~fuente
    11. tony
    12. Sp@rky426
    13. SystemERROR
    14. Rock31
    15. klittle250

Hot Sauce

1. ScottW
    2. Sp@rky426
    3. Fraze
    4. Rock31
    5. Desertlifter
    6. ezlevor
    7. OnePyroTec
    8. pippin925
    9. fuente~fuente
    10. Superman0234
    11. tony
    12. SystemERROR
    13. Beercritic
    14. zlc410
    15. klittle250
    Here's the final list

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

I can't wait until spring and the wife and I are going to clean up the garden area that the person who rented the house before us had let go to crap. It should be big enough to grow a few types of peppers, some herbs, and maybe some smaller veggie plants. Any advice on how to go about it? I usually just grab some plants that are already growing from our local mega garden supply store. I'm looking mostly at jalapenos and maybe some of the smaller red thai peppers...

HIM

The peppers they sell at garden centers usually grow small peppers with a pretty small yield. In my experience at least. All my peppers I've grown from seed and bought the seeds from PepperJoes. Whatever you do just make sure the soil has good drainage and don't over water. They don't like wet feet. Give them a fish emulsion mixture and Epsom Salt every other week alternating week to week so they stay fed and happy. Another good tip is to bury a book or two of fanned out matches a few inches under where they will be planted. The roots will want the sulfur as they grow.

appreciate the tips... I've been looking at that pepper joe website and I'm going to have to put an order in this year for sure.

HIM

FWIW I use a spray called Organicide to keep my plants from getting white fly, aphids, horned worms, etc. Its natural and can be found at Home Depot for like $5. I had a lot of issues before but switching to that stuff took care of everything.

I'm more worried about rabbits... the way our backyard is set up, the garden will be butted up against a few railroad ties acting as a retaining wall between our yard and our neighbors. I see rabbits quite often, and now with the snow I see their tracks even more. Hopefully we can rig up something that doesn't look too trashy that keeps them out of the area. Although I suppose if they decide to chomp down on a ghost or scorpion pepper they might think twice about coming back.

Puffer Fish with many spikes pippin925's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    The peppers they sell at garden centers usually grow small peppers with a pretty small yield. In my experience at least. All my peppers I've grown from seed and bought the seeds from PepperJoes. Whatever you do just make sure the soil has good drainage and don't over water. They don't like wet feet. Give them a fish emulsion mixture and Epsom Salt every other week alternating week to week so they stay fed and happy. Another good tip is to bury a book or two of fanned out matches a few inches under where they will be planted. The roots will want the sulfur as they grow.
    Thanks for the tips. The past couple of years I bought plants from Home Depot or lowes and the pepper output hasn't been great, I think I'll give pepperjoes a shot. I've also been told to leave the soil as dry a possible to get the best heat/flavor out of the pepper.

HIM

You could always plant em in something too tall for rabbits to get into.

Scott, yea you pretty much want to water them just enough to not wilt or dry out. Even down here where its really hot it's surprising to see how little water their happy with.

Full grown Puffer Fish Livin' Legend's Avatar

It seems I've found my people! I've always loved spicy foods, and in recent years have had a weird obsession with trying the hottest things I can find. After seeing so many amusing videos on Youtube, I was compelled to post two of my own, one with a ghost pepper and one with a Trinidad Scorpion dipped in Blair's Ultra Death Sauce (which is truly excellent sauce, by the way), which were comparatively boring since I didn't start crying like many of the other ones.

I tried my hand at growing ghost peppers once, but never could get them to bare fruit. I'd love to get ahold of some more and see what kind of hot sauce I could make myself. Definitely a project for the future!

HIM

Did you ever add any Epsom salt to your plants? It's helps the plant set fruit as well as fight off different plant diseases. A long with giving the plant a gentle shake when it has flowers. They self pollinate so sometimes a little shake helps them do what's needed to start dropping peppers.

Sorry for the delay in the giveaways, Ive been in the process of looking for a new house. Im making everything this weekend and will announce the winners soon.

HIM

Pork is marinating until Tuesday but tonight I whipped up a gallon of sauce. Here's some pics...

Attachment 75297
    Attachment 75298
    Attachment 75299

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

that looks good

Full grown Puffer Fish Livin' Legend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    Did you ever add any Epsom salt to your plants? It's helps the plant set fruit as well as fight off different plant diseases. A long with giving the plant a gentle shake when it has flowers. They self pollinate so sometimes a little shake helps them do what's needed to start dropping peppers.

Sorry for the delay in the giveaways, Ive been in the process of looking for a new house. Im making everything this weekend and will announce the winners soon.
    I was using a hydroponic system with solutions for different phases like growth and flowering, so I didn't think there would be a need to add anything. Bear in mind I'm NOT a green thumb and plants that are near me for an extended amount of time tend to die. I tried pollinating them with a brush like I had seen in an article, but had no result on that. Never tried shaking, may have had better results that way.

If I ever decide to try it again, which is unlikely in the near future, as busy as I am, maybe I'll do them outside and see if nature will do its thing. Thanks for the tip!

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast