Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Pepper Heads?

This is a discussion on Pepper Heads? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; I really love spicy foods! I would love to make some home made sauces. I can't seem to grow a ...

Full grown Puffer Fish ColdSmoker's Avatar

Re: Pepper Heads?

I really love spicy foods! I would love to make some home made sauces. I can't seem to grow a pepper with any heat though!

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoker View Post
    I really love spicy foods! I would love to make some home made sauces. I can't seem to grow a pepper with any heat though!
    It's really quite easy to do and ingredients are pretty cheap. As for growing peppers... What varieties have you tried growing? How often did you water them? And what color were the peppers when picked?
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

jalepeno, every other day, some were red and some were green. They always end up tasting like a green bell pepper which I despise!

HIM

Try only giving them water when the leaves start to wilt a little. The less their watered the hotter the peppers. As well as picking them when they havened ripened fully, the greener or younger the less heat. You may consider growing something with a little more kick as well like cayennes or tobasco peppers. Of course you can really step it up and go for habaneros or hotter. I'd browse around pepper joes and see if something looks good.

yeah...problem is my garden is watered with my sprinkler system so I'd have to turn that off which is not an option. Easy solution I guess would be to pot them. Which is exactly what I'm going to do this year.

HIM

That's how I grow mine. Helps so I can bring em in come hurricane season. If you give em a fish emulsion mixture one week and an Epsom Salt mixture the next they will love you for it. This kind of continuos feeding really keeps em happy, looking good, and flooding you with peppers. Just keep rotating them so the plants get one of the two every week and getting each every other week.

Scotch & Cigars

got my jerky and proceeded to destroy it at my desk while working, thank you so much!

it was delicious with a wonderful pepper taste!

HIM

Kick ass, I'm glad you liked it!!

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    That's how I grow mine. Helps so I can bring em in come hurricane season. If you give em a fish emulsion mixture one week and an Epsom Salt mixture the next they will love you for it. This kind of continuos feeding really keeps em happy, looking good, and flooding you with peppers. Just keep rotating them so the plants get one of the two every week and getting each every other week.
    Sweet! I'll try that. I'm so used to the fertility of the Willamette Valley to allow me to be super lazy with veggies. I usually just plant them and pick weeds...I do add some nitrogen rich mass before planting but other than that it's plant them and forget them (really easy with timed sprinkler system). I definitely can see how peppers are different though. Thanks again for the advice...

HIM

Welcome, make sure to post up some pics of them babies when the plant starts puttin em out.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

MMMMM Peppers... I have been eating HOT since I was introduced to Texas Pete by my grandfather when I was 5. I keep a bottle of "Smack my Ass and Call Me Sally - The Slap Heard Around The World" in the fridge for those guys that claim to like heat ( I use it on chicken nuggets like BBQ). I use 7 different hot peppers and 4 color bells in my chili for competitions for both a wider flavor profile and manageable heat.

The only problems I have with hot peppers is the fact I am usually willing to at least TRY to eat them when they are offered (usually a dare) and have made the mistake of popping a Butch T in my mouth after a quick glance thinking it was just a hab..... BAD DAY!!

HIM

Haha ahh I bet you didn't know what to think!! I found a site where you can order scorpion pods if your interested. I posted it up in the last couple pages.

I will have to check it out.

At the last chili cookoff in my neighborhood there was a Guy that brought a chili pepper wine from a local-ish vineyard. I will try to find out from him where it was next time I see him so I can pass it on. The wine had the standard white wine dryness with a slight fruity sweet, then the chili heat started to creep up the back of your throat to your tongue.

HIM

Sounds interesting. One of these days I'm going to brew a habanero IPA. Use lots of citrusy and floral hops to compliment the habs flavor. Who knows when I'll get around to brewing it though.

I love the flavor of Habs. I bet a habit ipa would be killer, at least for a whackjob like me. It would probably just kill most normal people!

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast