Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

RUM

This is a discussion on RUM within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Hmm ill have to check that out...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: RUM

Hmm ill have to check that out
    just keep on puffin

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Raccoon View Post
    flying down to FL tomorrow now I know what I'll be stopping for. my wife and daughter drove down a couple of weeks ago and they stopped into JR's and picked up a box of the series R's for me.

has anyone tried any of the Dogfish Head rums?
    Ive had 2 of the dogfish rums, the wit spiced, and the brown honey. Im not a huge rum drinker but I find both of these especially the brown honey to be very drinkable. Plus there less the $30 here so they are very reasonable priced. I actually just picked up 2 bottles of the brown honey because its the hardest to find of the 3

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

Finally got around buying the Ron Zacapa 23, but at $47.00 a bottle it better be good. If it is, its going to be an online purchase item from now on.

I was going to post a picture, but it keeps telling me that its over the limit in size even tough I've posted larger pictures before. Hum...anybody?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Regiampiero View Post
    Finally got around buying the Ron Zacapa 23, but at $47.00 a bottle it better be good. If it is, its going to be an online purchase item from now on.

I was going to post a picture, but it keeps telling me that its over the limit in size even tough I've posted larger pictures before. Hum...anybody?
    How was the Zacapa Giampiero (from now on you will be known only as G to me!!)? I have had issues from time to time with uploading pics, but I dont know why.

I finished off my bottle of Goslings black seal last week. I liked the goslings, but I had to use it as a mixer. I drank mostly dark and stormys (2oz Black Seal / 5oz ginger beer over ice) and a couple Rum & Dr. Peppers. I found I didnt really care for the taste neat or on the rocks.

I picked up a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart today ($16) and enjoyed a glass on the rocks with my PDR Oscuro. I really like the Oakheart both as a mixer and a sipper, and for $16 / 750ml its MUCH cheaper than Zacapa (but NOT in the same class). I think Bacardi did a pretty damn good job going after Capt. Morgan in the spiced rum segment with this one. I wont buy the Capt. regular any more if I can get this instead (I dont like to sip Capt.)

Full grown Puffer Fish OratorORourke's Avatar

I am an odd case as I enjoy a dark rum quite a bit, but also enjoy really good bourbons (Woodford Reserve is my poison). It seems that most are either or.

My everyday rum is Sailor Jerry. I drink a lot of it. I love the prominent vanilla smell and taste in it and I definitely can't complain about the proof. I do NOT mix SJ. If it is hot out and it is day time and I don't have my next mentioned rum on hand, you may catch me making a Dark & Stormy with it.

For mixing, I have been enjoying making Dark & Stormy's out of The Kraken. I find this rum to be very good for that.

For an everyday dark rum, I like Mount Gay. I think it is based on a trip I took to Barbados in 2009 in which I partook heavily in this brands rum, including my time on the factory tour. For me, it mixes very well.

High end, premium sipping rum preference, as everyone else has mentioned here...Zacapa of course.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

For those of you who have had both... is there a distinct difference between Zaya and Zacapa? I've had Zaya before and I found it to be great. It was very smooth and very delicious. At $10 more per bottle, would the Zacapa be that much better?

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdigital View Post
    How was the Zacapa Giampiero (from now on you will be known only as G to me!!)? I have had issues from time to time with uploading pics, but I dont know why.

I finished off my bottle of Goslings black seal last week. I liked the goslings, but I had to use it as a mixer. I drank mostly dark and stormys (2oz Black Seal / 5oz ginger beer over ice) and a couple Rum & Dr. Peppers. I found I didnt really care for the taste neat or on the rocks.

I picked up a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart today ($16) and enjoyed a glass on the rocks with my PDR Oscuro. I really like the Oakheart both as a mixer and a sipper, and for $16 / 750ml its MUCH cheaper than Zacapa (but NOT in the same class). I think Bacardi did a pretty damn good job going after Capt. Morgan in the spiced rum segment with this one. I wont buy the Capt. regular any more if I can get this instead (I dont like to sip Capt.)
    Well Tim...I liked the Zacapa more than the average rum, but the taste was very reminiscent of a bourbon IMO. It was very heavy on the spirit and less so on the spices and sweetness. I paired it with a cognac infused cigar first, and the day after with a Cohiba Siglo VI. It paired better with the siglo than it did with the cognac infused cigar, but I'll try the last third of the bottle with some more cigars. Next buy is going to be the Goslings or the Kraken, but I'll keep the Oak Heart in mind.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

I had a hell of a rum fueled weekend! I hope everyone else had fun too. I managed to go through 6 gars, a 750ml of oakheart, and 3/4 of a bottle of Zacapa 23 over the course of saturday and sunday with a few friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ezlevor View Post
    For those of you who have had both... is there a distinct difference between Zaya and Zacapa? I've had Zaya before and I found it to be great. It was very smooth and very delicious. At $10 more per bottle, would the Zacapa be that much better?
    I have tried both multiple times and IMHO Zacapas is much better. Whether or not 10 bucks better, only you can tell.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Zacapa ox or 23 I found them for a 20 dollars difference
    just keep on puffin

No longer a community member.

I'm a huge Sailor Jerry fan. I also enjoy Captain Morgan Tattoo, but the best rum I've ever had was some I bought at the duty-free shop in Port au Prince. Haitian rum rocks!

Puffer Fish with some spikes lbiislander's Avatar

I hope it's not too late to jump on this thread. Like many, absolute fav is Zacapa. But I recently tasted a new rum called Kirk & Sweeney, aged 12 years, i think from the DR. Liked it a lot and under $30.
    Frequently wrong but never in doubt!

I will start this off by saying I am the most diehard rum drinker I know. 20 years of rum 'n cokes, rum on the rocks.......it has been a fun adventure. Zacapa is definitely one of the finest rums. Zaya is my favorite go to rum. At. $29.99 a bottle it has got to be the best value per ounce. But if money was no option every body should have bottles of Zacapa 23 Zaya, Ron Botran, Plantation 20yr, Angostura 12 yr, Brugal L.E., Capt. Morgan Private stock, Appleton Est. 21yr, Zafra and sooo many other.

But to start off I would go in this order.

1. Capt. Morgan Private stock
    2. Ron Botran
    3. Zaya
    4. Zacapa

I think the last 2 you should be alternating nights to see which you fall in love with first.

But to sample out I would definitely start out with Zaya
    "Sandpaper a lions ass in a phonebooth" ~Mr. Slick~

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdigital View Post
    I finished off my bottle of Goslings black seal last week. I liked the goslings, but I had to use it as a mixer. ... I found I didnt really care for the taste neat or on the rocks.
    I don't care for it neat, or on the rocks (plural), either. But over just a single ice cube and allowed to sit for a couple of minutes, it's one of my favorite sipping drinks.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

im not a big rum guy. i like brugal extra viejo.

i recently had a swig of that black seal but it was at 8:00am on a fishing trip. I would like to revisit.
    "Donít congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either Ė your choices are half chance, so are everybody elseís"- Mary Schmich

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast