Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Craft Beer Review

This is a discussion on Craft Beer Review within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Modus Hoperandi IPA - Ska http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/media...perandiIPA.jpg Pours a golden orange color with a frothy 4 finger beige head that fades ...

HIM

Re: Craft Beer Review

Modus Hoperandi IPA - Ska

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/media...perandiIPA.jpg

Pours a golden orange color with a frothy 4 finger beige head that fades slowly leaving behind a wonderful amount of sticky lacing. Crystal like clarity. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, floral, lightly earthy, and an underlying tea note all backed by faint touch of malt round out the nose. Grapefruit and piney notes jump out on the front palate and slowly turn to mango, pineapple, and a light maltiness in the mid palate. The finish melds back to strong flavors of citrus and pine. A very mild booziness lingers on the back of the tongue hinting at the 6.8 abv. Body is light, crisp, and leaves the back of the tongue a little dry. Overall a phenomenal beer thats incredible sessionable.

My Grade - A+
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    Modus Hoperandi IPA - Ska

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/media...perandiIPA.jpg

Pours a golden orange color with a frothy 4 finger beige head that fades slowly leaving behind a wonderful amount of sticky lacing. Crystal like clarity. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, floral, lightly earthy, and an underlying tea note all backed by faint touch of malt round out the nose. Grapefruit and piney notes jump out on the front palate and slowly turn to mango, pineapple, and a light maltiness in the mid palate. The finish melds back to strong flavors of citrus and pine. A very mild booziness lingers on the back of the tongue hinting at the 6.8 abv. Body is light, crisp, and leaves the back of the tongue a little dry. Overall a phenomenal beer thats incredible sessionable.

My Grade - A+
    Sounds like my type of beer!

Nice reviews, Cole. Keep 'em coming.

HIM

Gubna IIPA - Oskar Blues

http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-conten...perial-ipa.jpg

Golden orange on the pour turning into a fluffy white head with an orange tint. Head retention is great slowly fading away leaving behind a thick lacing. Once settled the color is more of a light copper. Aroma is well balanced with notes of citrus fruits, spiciness, and pine. The front palate is a nice mix of grapefruit and resiny earthiness that softens up to tangerine and crystal malt in the mid palate. The finish is a little more assertive ending with the initial flavors of grapefruit and pine. The 10abv makes itself known around the mid palate and lingers on with the finish. Medium bodied with fairly low carbonation which really gives this beer a thicker mouthfeel without making it overly sweet. A pretty good beer but I would have liked a little more hop flavor. It seemed a bit muddled.

My Grade - B+

HIM

Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide

http://twscritic.files.wordpress.com...ial-stout1.jpg

Rough pour shows off a motor oil black body that gradually erupts into a head reminiscent of chocolate milk. Some stained glass on the lacing. The aroma is a rich blend of dark chocolate, oak, spicy bourbon, dark fruit, and caramel. The first thing I notice upon taking a sip is very smooth bourbon which lingers on through the finish. Slowly the oakiness transitions into light smoky notes similar to a little char on grilled food along with touches of dark fruit. This is then met by flavors of dark chocolate and roast coffee with and underlying hint of vanilla the whole way through. The finish is incredibly long and while the booziness is there, its only as much as it should be and never any more. Thick, chewy, and lightly carbed the mouthfeel is almost syrupy. This was truly an amazing RIS and thats still an understatement. An absolute must try!!!

My Grade - A+

HIM

Sixty-One - Dogfish Head

http://philly.thedrinknation.com/ima...h-sixtyone.jpg

Very interesting rose color on the pour that turns into a thick foamy head very similar to the look and texture of sea foam. Very good retention, the head actually held together about a half inch over the glass without falling down the sides. The beer eventually settles into a nice bright copper with rose hues. Mildly tangy grape must aroma backed by a floral hoppiness and light malt undertones. A very mild citrus hoppiness jumps out immediately giving way to a juicy fruit punch like flavor. This is also brief as its followed by a red wine note with a light sour bite that lingers on to be joined with a little maltiness in the finish. Texture is very crisp and leaves the tongue and roof of the mouth pretty dry. I can't really say this beer fits as an IPA but for what they've actually accomplished its definitely different and unique.

My Grade - B

HIM

That's kind of tuff to answer. Really its a matter of finding a store near you that sells them them figuring out where you can get it the cheapest. Of course this is assuming there's more than one place your able to buy it.

Newbie in the ocean

hi,phillipanth according to my knowledge if you have to get cheap wine search a nearest place on the web, you defensively find it.

Just finished a bottle of Stone Ruinten IPA. 10.8% and the description says, "A stage dive into a mosh pit of hops!" Pretty damn good beer and I'm feeling invincible.

Its closest rival would be hoptimum by Sierra Nevada. Both with an IBU value of 100 I'm guessing(on the Stone only)
    Last edited by James40; 07-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Newbie in the ocean

It's better to search on internet, you'll surely find.

Quote Originally Posted by James40 View Post
    Just finished a bottle of Stone Ruinten IPA. 10.8% and the description says, "A stage dive into a mosh pit of hops!" Pretty damn good beer and I'm feeling invincible.

Its closest rival would be hoptimum by Sierra Nevada. Both with an IBU value of 100 I'm guessing(on the Stone only)
    Being in California, you can probably get Pliny the Elder from Russian River. Take a headfirst plunge into that one. It's a tongue walloping pile o' hop intensity.

RuinTen is so much better than Ruination was. I grew tired of Ruination. RuinTen and it's predecessor Ruination 10th Anniversary are much better balanced and much more satisfying.

HIM

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Back from a long hiatus to bring you Puffers another beer review. And what better day than one where I'm brewing my own beer at the same time, a Mango Cream Ale for those who are curious. I realized since passing my entrance exam and becoming a Provisional Judge in the Beer Judge Certification Program Ive been judging homebrew but not writing any craft reviews. Well today that changes!
    Todays review covers an IPA that has swept the beer world by storm and made itself a benchmark for the style. The highly sought after Heady Topper from The Alchemist Brewing Co. out of Waterbury, VT.
    Many brewers tried endlessly to clone this beer before realizing there was just something they couldn't quite nail down. Turns out co-owner John Kimmich had an unexpected trick up his sleeve for crafting this masterpiece. For this beer he uses an English strain of brewers yeast known today as the Conan strain. What most people hadn't realized initially was how important this yeast was to the overall profile of the beer. The esters Conan imparts are part of the backbone of what makes Heady Topper what it is. Now enough prelude, on to the review!

Medium gold body the pour rises into a frothy eggshell white 3 finger head. Very nice head retention that slowly dies down leaving remarkable stained glass lacing. From the moment you open the can your hit with an aggressive hop aroma. A wonderful blend of tangerine, grapefruit, mango, and a little bit of floral and dank notes.
    As I take a sip I'm met with familiar notes of tangerine, grapefruit, and dank earthiness on the front palate accompanied by a light bite from the carbonation. The citrus notes linger into the mid palate being met with juicer notes of mango and peaches. This is where the Conan joins the party. These stone fruit flavors are really a hallmark of the ester profile of many English yeasts. All the flavors mellow into perfect balance in the finish combining into an overall impression of tropical fruit and light dankness. There is some light warming in the throat hinting to the 8% ABV but all in all its incredibly smooth. Theres also a slight sharpness from the sulfate levels in the brew water but its hard to pick up. Certainly not a bad thing as its appropriate for the style but when your a brewer you notice this kind of stuff.

Overall - Medium gold color with slight hop haze. High hop aroma, little to no malt aroma. Medium light bodied with medium high carbonation, smooth crisp and dry mouthfeel. Medium high bitterness, no astringency, high hop flavor.

My Grade - 48/50

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2