Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Chili & Soup Time!

This is a discussion on Chili & Soup Time! within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; With the cooler temps easing their way into the US, it's time for some homemade chili and soups. I prefer ...

Chili & Soup Time!

With the cooler temps easing their way into the US, it's time for some homemade chili and soups. I prefer the crock-pot just because it's fix & forget.

Have a full-to-the-top pot of veggie soup on now. Potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, corn, green beans, peas, chicken broth, and a few choice spices..... Got the whole place smelling fantastic. Pairing it with some made from scratch focaccia bread....MmmmMmmmm.

What y'all making?
    Dale

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Re: Chili & Soup Time!

Sounds good Dale!

I have plans for a good crock pot stew this weekend. Stew meat (browned), potatoes, carrots, pearl onions, bit of garlic, thyme, rosemary, in beef broth. No peas though....not a big fan.

No longer a community member.

I haven’t done my annual soup cookoff yet for this year, but this is how it typically goes:
    I pick 6 or 7 different types I want to make, and prep all the ingredients on Friday night. Saturday morning I rise with the sun and fire up all four burners on the stove, and 2 roasters and 2 crock pots on the counters and set about making everything. This will usually take until about 3 in the afternoon to execute. I make sure to concentrate the flavor so that I can add ice at the end for cooling purposes without “watering them down”. I then funnel the soups into 72 or so quart mason jars and sit them on folding tables in the dining room with fans blowing crossways to cool them some more. Around 6 in the evening I’ll put plastic wrap over the mouth and add the lid and ring before moving them into the fridge. At midnight I move them into one of the chest freezers downstairs and then I go pass out. It is a lot of work over two days, but it lasts the family a full year. Whenever my wife and I know there is a busy day coming up, I just pull a jar out the freezer to slack and serve it with a baked potato or sweet potato from the microwave and she makes a loaf of something in the automatic bread machine. I’ve done this for three years now, and have yet to break a jar freezing. If you leave 2” at the top then it’s the perfect serving for a couple people and it can expand when it cools.
    Last edited by Tobias Lutz; 09-19-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: I cook better than I spell

Puffer Fish with many spikes pippin925's Avatar

It's still far from cooling off down here, but the wife and kids asked for some chickin and dumplings. I usually make it on a Sunday since it takes some time, but I just split the process up into 2 nights. Last night I poached the chicken and made my broth. I also rolled out my biscuit dough and cut the dumplings so now everything is ready for when I get home from work tonight.

Now this afternoon, all I need to do is make a rue, add the broth, add the dumplings, cook them and then finish off by adding the cooked chicken.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." T. Roosevelt

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

I am already working on a new chili recipe for this year to take advantage of the huge crop of super hot peppers in my freezer. I expect to hurt some people at the competition later this fall. The real trick is to make a chili that tastes as good as it is hot so that the unsuspecting tasters just cant stop eating it

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdigital View Post
    I am already working on a new chili recipe for this year to take advantage of the huge crop of super hot peppers in my freezer. I expect to hurt some people at the competition later this fall. The real trick is to make a chili that tastes as good as it is hot so that the unsuspecting tasters just cant stop eating it
    I agree about the 'real trick'. Too many chili cooks think heat is what makes good chili and neglect to have any real flavor as the base.

That veggie soup sounds delicious Dale! You may want to try switching the chicken broth with vegetable broth and then it would be truly all veggie! I am a big fan of tomato soups but I truly do love almost any type of soup or chili. Surprisingly Paula Deen has one of my favorite tomato soup recipes:

Ingredients
    3 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 9 globe or 24 plum) halved and seeded
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium white onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano

Directions
    Preheat the boiler.
    Place the tomatoes cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until the skins begin to char and burst, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven. When cool enough to handle, remove the charred skins.

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and onions. Cook and stir until tender but not brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes have cooked down, about 20 minutes. Season with the salt, pepper, and sugar and add the basil and oregano.

You can add stuff like Bacon, Chili Pepper Flakes, Cheese and other extras easily into this soup. Goes great with a simple grilled cheese on a cold day!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

I've rocked out some killer chili recipes. I have never written anything down, nor do I ever have a set amount of anything I put in. The important thing that I found is to get as much depth of flavor as you can into everything. I try to use the best seasonings I can, and add some at different times during the cooking. I actually use a mild to medium heat chili powder and then add the spice with a few other things. I always char off my peppers, and this year I think I'm going to have my butcher grind some meat fresh and with a bigger grind instead of using regular ground chuck. I also use a lot of beef. I do have veggies and beans in it, but to me it gets to be too much of a stew if the veggie to beef ratio gets too high.

I'm doing something right because I have a few friends that insist that my chili is the best they've had.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by pippin925 View Post
    It's still far from cooling off down here, but the wife and kids asked for some chickin and dumplings. I usually make it on a Sunday since it takes some time, but I just split the process up into 2 nights. Last night I poached the chicken and made my broth. I also rolled out my biscuit dough and cut the dumplings so now everything is ready for when I get home from work tonight.

Now this afternoon, all I need to do is make a rue, add the broth, add the dumplings, cook them and then finish off by adding the cooked chicken.
    IMHO, your wife and children know what's great food!

I see you failed to provide your address and time OR was that intentional?
    KL License #2157

Puffer Fish with many spikes pippin925's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hogjaw View Post
    IMHO, your wife and children know what's great food!

I see you failed to provide your address and time OR was that intentional?
    Lol - dinner's always at 6, whoever is at the table gets fed
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." T. Roosevelt