Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated?

This is a discussion on What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Note; Most if not all of the 21 year old malts have been finished the last 3 years in sherry ...

Re: What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated?

Note;

Most if not all of the 21 year old malts have been finished the last 3 years in sherry casks.
    The flavors that result are a big departure from what one would normally experience. Some people like em, some don't.

Cheers
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Full grown Puffer Fish Work4Play's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    STOP! Take a deep breath.

Now, you're getting a lot of recommendations from some seasoned scotch veterans, who have either lost perspective on their own beginnings, or their memories from too much of the nectar

All these suggestions to jump right into the subtleties and nuance of the highlands, such as Mcallan, or Glen Morangie, while GREAT, sublime spirits, is false economy.

When I was first starting out, I was fortunate to have a true connoisseur to guide me. He was adamant that I sip my through "the proper progression" in order to truly appreciate what was happening in the finer bottles. He told me to start with the Islays, then to the lowlands, then finally, to the delicate highland malts. He sent me off for a bottle of Laphroaig, which at the time, was a cheap bottle of whisky. He explained that this whisky had ALL of the elements that distinguish fine scotch, but that they were bold and pronounced, such that an amateur could separate and sense them. Damn, was he right! Not to mention, it remains one of my favorites.

Also, never discount the fact that the Famous Grouse has been Scotland's favorite scotch for time in memorium.
    This is spot on! Could not agree more.

A nice bottle I enjoy sometimes is the Lagavulin 16, around $70 a bottle but worth it.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish c.ortiz108's Avatar

Some good advice here. I think two good noob options are Glenmorangie 10 and Speyburn 10. Relatively cheap, delicious and easy drinking. Most blends are disappointing to me, including all JWs (though never tried Blue or Gold). And why anyone would drink Glenfiddich is a mystery to me. Just my 2c!

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    I recommend Blackadder for single malt, and Black Dog and Chivas Regal for good blends. Good way to begin your journey.
    Hey, are you in India? I thought Black Dog was only for the Indian market. I second that recommendation - a damn good blend!
    "By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls." - John Galsworthy.

Puffer Fish with some spikes DbeatDano's Avatar

Bruichladdich The Laddie 10 or Glenmorangie Original 10yo. Two of my favorites. Bought the Laddie for $47 and Glenmorangie 10yo was $45. Both are sweet and full flavored with very little burn. Also check out the guru of single malt (IMO) Ralfystuff on youtube, specifically his whisky of the year reviews and his whisky review 277 three best malt whiskies for beginners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3