Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated?

This is a discussion on What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Just looked through the thread on single malts, and since I don't want to hijack it - what would you ...

Conscientious Objector Cardinal's Avatar

What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated?

Just looked through the thread on single malts, and since I don't want to hijack it - what would you recommend for someone new to scotch?

I've had inexpensive Dewars before and it tastes like applejuice to me - not in a bad way, but in a way that made me want to stick to bourbon. Then I had some Glenfidditch...12 I think...with a friend and it tasted really good. I'm not new to liquor, and I like bourbon and I like gin, so I'm not afraid

I'd like to keep it reasonably priced to start, definitely $100 or less and even sub-$75 if I can. Any suggestions?
    Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki, but something much worse comes for you. For when you die, it will be...without honor - Splinter

Re: What scotch would you recommend for the uninitiated?

Mcallan 12 all the way.

Present and Accounted

I will give you the same advice I give people starting in cigars. Go to a B&M and try some out. I'd bet theres some good bars/lounges that have a selection of fine scotch(es?) near you. Sure you'll pay top dollar but its better then being stuck with bottles you don't want to drink.

Also look for tasting events. Theres a place near me that does classes and tasting events called total wine, looks like they have some shops in dfw, so give your local one a call and see if they have one. They may even set one up for you if you can get some other people to come. Its also my liquor store of choice, so they must be doing something right.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Frodo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scrouds View Post
    I will give you the same advice I give people starting in cigars. Go to a B&M and try some out. I'd bet theres some good bars/lounges that have a selection of fine scotch(es?) near you. Sure you'll pay top dollar but its better then being stuck with bottles you don't want to drink.

Also look for tasting events. Theres a place near me that does classes and tasting events called total wine, looks like they have some shops in dfw, so give your local one a call and see if they have one. They may even set one up for you if you can get some other people to come. Its also my liquor store of choice, so they must be doing something right.
    +1!!

McAllen 18 is my fav, I love 12 too and the price is great. Glen is great
    To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times. ~Mark Twain

If you are talking single malts, I would say any lowland malt. It's the least complex and is characteristically smooth, floral and easy to drink. Highlands are smokey and peaty , Islays are salty and smokey but lowlands are a nice way to start. Speysides and Campeltowns are a different conversation

Quote Originally Posted by scrouds View Post

That's a great idea if there is a suitable bar with a proper selection. The selection at any of my local bars suck and when they do have anything decent they charge upwards of $18 a shot. I have even seen one place try to get $60 for a shot of blue label. Its things like that, that make me just pull the trigger on a bottle blindly. My next botle will be an Oban just raised on a few recommendations

Puffer Fish with some spikes magoo6541's Avatar

I am also fairly new to scotch but I do really enjoy it also. Glenlivet 12 is my suggestion. It's reasonably priced and is the most popular scotch in the US.

My best friends father in law is Scottish and is the man I look toward when I need a suggestion of what to try. The man knows his stuff. Glenlivet 12 is still his goto drink and he always has a bottle handy. If you want to spend a bit more, you could get the 18 yr bottle which I have not tried yet. I believe that the Glenlivet 21 yr reserve was one of the highest rated scotches this year but it's a little above your max price.

Speaking of all this, my buddy just got back from Scotland yesterday and presented me with a nice bottle. It was late and I don't recall what it is exactly. I'll have to try it and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by magoo6541 View Post
    I am also fairly new to scotch but I do really enjoy it also. Glenlivet 12 is my suggestion. It's reasonably priced and is the most popular scotch in the US.

My best friends father in law is Scottish and is the man I look toward when I need a suggestion of what to try. The man knows his stuff. Glenlivet 12 is still his goto drink and he always has a bottle handy. If you want to spend a bit more, you could get the 18 yr bottle which I have not tried yet. I believe that the Glenlivet 21 yr reserve was one of the highest rated scotches this year but it's a little above your max price.

Speaking of all this, my buddy just got back from Scotland yesterday and presented me with a nice bottle. It was late and I don't recall what it is exactly. I'll have to try it and let you know.
    Man Glenlivet 21 is my all time favorite but I still need to try a macallan 21 before I make my final decision until I find a new favorite

Dogs welcome, people.... Mokano's Avatar

A good liquor store should have some 30ml bottles for sampling. Won't be everything by any means, but enough to hit the major profiles. I really like scotchnoob.com. The Whisky Shelf: Covering the Bases | The Scotch Noob. I started with his advice and kept building.

Glenlivet 12 was my first bottle. It isn't the one that made me fall in love though. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or has that distinction.
    Manifesto: Do good work. Stay noble. Every problem can be solved. Less is always an option. Don't be afraid to say no. Be perfectly clear. Never lie.

Conscientious Objector Cardinal's Avatar

Thanks all! Cool website there Mokano, I'll definitely take a closer look tonight.

And I'll look for either a tasting or some little bottles for sampling. Barring that, I'll try one of the middle-of-the-road priced ones here, and just go. It's crazy to me in a city the size of Ft. Worth, but I haven't found a great liquor store close to my house. May need to drive over to Dallas for that.
    Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki, but something much worse comes for you. For when you die, it will be...without honor - Splinter

Puffer Fish with some spikes RocknRoll's Avatar

My first Single Malt was Glenmorangie Original/10yr.

Here are a few links I used when I got started with Single Malts.

Climbing the Scotch Ladder for Beginners
    Picking Your First Single-Malt Scotch

"Flavor Maps" can be handy, too. Here are two I use.

The Single Malt Whisky Flavour Map
    The Single Malt Whisky Flavour Map This one is fancier with extra panels.
    "I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

Young Puffer Fish

Try a bottle of Talisker. Goes very well with most cigars.

--Wag--

Dogs welcome, people.... Mokano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by louwags View Post
    Try a bottle of Talisker. Goes very well with most cigars.

--Wag--
    Too true. I liked Talisker before taking up cigars, and I have to say it hits a whole other level with a stick. Pretty amazing in fact.
    Manifesto: Do good work. Stay noble. Every problem can be solved. Less is always an option. Don't be afraid to say no. Be perfectly clear. Never lie.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Oban...enough said. Well, maybe a bit more. Oban is the scotch I as the basis for any other scotch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast