Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

You Must try making this BBQ Sauce.

This is a discussion on You Must try making this BBQ Sauce. within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; ...

You Must try making this BBQ Sauce.

Ancho BBQ Sauce – This stuff is sublime!

Ancho peppers are very mild and rich, tasting like a spicy raisin. I'm never buying pre made sauce again.

MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS

3 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded (easier said, than done) Our Walmart has them @ $6/lb.
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    2 cups diced onion
    7 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cider venegar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 1/2 tbsp. mustard
    2 tsp. salt, or to taste

1. Soak the anchos in hot water for 30 minutes or until soft. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until they begin to wilt. Add the ketchup and anchos and sauté for 4 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients and simmer gently for 30–40 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool. Place in a blender or food processor and purée. (I use a stick blender). Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 3 weeks. Reheat before serving.

My changes:
    Added Pickapeppa paste - this takes a lot of sweet from the catsup & makes it more "earthy."
    Added Black pepper

If anyone has a source for the Pickapeppa paste, please let me know. The sauce works well, but doesn't go as far. A jar of paste lasts longer than 3 bottles of sauce.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Re: You Must try making this BBQ Sauce.

Sounds good, thanks for sharing. I have a whole bag of ancho chiles in the closet and have been wondering what the heck to do with them.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Thanks Joe gonna try it this weekend.
    Having a shindig for my kid sister.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Interesting recipe, I will make it this weekend and report back.
    Matt

My wife had some relatives from South Dakota come visiting today. I grilled using this sauce. Many compliments. I'm passing the recipe along to anyone. Even carry a few printed copies when I'm out and about. The aroma when you're making the sauce is wonderful. Eating it is even better.

I'm never buying BBQ sauce ever again.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Looks good, filing for future reference!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Thanks for sharing. I haven't made BBQ sauce in a very long time. Luckily I have easy access to all the ingredients. I'll give it a try and report back.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” George Burns