Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I hate beer. Can you help me change?

This is a discussion on I hate beer. Can you help me change? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Stella, Newcastle, and Sam Smith are good beers to try for sure,...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish anthony d's Avatar

Re: I hate beer. Can you help me change?

Stella, Newcastle, and Sam Smith are good beers to try for sure,
    Hmm...

Some good light beers include Pilsner Urquell, a Kölsh (style) & Berliner Kindle Weiss (if you like the taste of Sweet Tarts), Negra Modelo (Unbeatable with Mexican food), Lindeman's Kriek (sweet & sour cherry beer), Anchor Steam. I preferred the more assertive IPAs.

For the folks complaining about Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA, THAT stuff is supposed to age for a decade. It becomes wonderful.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish anthony d's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beercritic View Post
    Some good light beers include Pilsner Urquell, a Kölsh (style) & Berliner Kindle Weiss (if you like the taste of Sweet Tarts), Negra Modelo (Unbeatable with Mexican food), Lindeman's Kriek (sweet & sour cherry beer), Anchor Steam. I preferred the more assertive IPAs.

For the folks complaining about Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA, THAT stuff is supposed to age for a decade. It becomes wonderful.
    I have 4 bottles aging right now...
    Hmm...

Puffer Fish with some spikes baust55's Avatar

lots of good suggestions here.
    just avoid any swill with the word light on the label . like bud light, miller light , coors light all disgusting .

good luck
    Austin

Young Puffer Fish

Popular is definitely the way to start. I was initially turned off by the strong taste of "better" beers, but with a foundation built on popular beers, you can easily begin branching out. Like lots of things, I believe beer is an acquired taste. I had to work at it, but enjoy beer and have branched out to both bourbon and scotch in my 30s.

If it's available in your area, try some of the varieties of Yuengling.

Newbie in the ocean

I am a Scotch, Rum and Vodka drinker. But some of the beer suggested here is tempting me to try.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    When I read "I hate beer" I almost cired.

The region in which I live is considered by many to be the microbrew capitol of the world, so I love my beers. If the government took over tobacco and made it impossible to buy, I would be sad but would survive. Now if they got rid of brews...I'd move. Not worth living in a place where one can't enjoy a fine beer at least once a day!

When it comes to drinking craft brews, it is a lot like tobacco. You don't start out with an Imperial IPA or some Hop Monster IPA. You need to ease into it and develop your palate. Where I live, there is no shortage of craft beer available, being that you are in the UK though, I am not sure what you have available. I would start by getting a mellow(s) IPA, Strong American Ale, Pilsner, Stout, Lager and see what characteristics you like in each.

A few of my favorite Brit Beers are:

Samuel Smith Anything. Seriously a great brewery. Their oatmeal stout is to die for.
    Buxton Imperial Black
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    Thornbridge Hall Bracia
    Oakham Green Devil IPA

Being that you are form the UK, I am assuming that you have had Newcastle already. But if not, that is another brewery that you really can't go wrong with. You Brits make some damn fine beer!
    The oatmeal stout was amazing. Thanks for the recommendation.

New Castle.
    Modelo Negro

Now for something completely different. Find a German Dopple Boch (double bock). Optimator or Spatinator. (probably not spelled right). Dark, thick, malty, and creamy. A bit sweet. No hoppy bitterness to them. I haven't had an American double bock that comes close.
    I don't always smoke cigars, but when I do I'm a whole lot happier than when I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by baust55 View Post
    lots of good suggestions here.
    just avoid any swill with the word light on the label . like bud light, miller light , coors light all disgusting .

good luck
    Austin
    When I want a light beer I just pour half out of a regular beer and refill the bottle from the hose in the yard. I don't drink much light beer - 2 or 3 total in my first 57 years.
    Last edited by Charger Fan; 08-13-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    I don't always smoke cigars, but when I do I'm a whole lot happier than when I don't.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordon Brooker View Post
    I was wondering if trying some of the more "Popular" brands are the way forward and perhaps I was diving in the deep end.
    I'd say you just hit the nail on the head. If you "don't like beer", then I'd stay away from those uber-strong, uber-hoppy, uber-"craft" types of beers and stick with the big name generics. It's the easiest way to get introduced for sure, I mean, they ARE the big brands because they are the most popular and accessible.... so it'd make sense that lots of people, including yourself, might like them.

Strange though, no wheat beers being mentioned? One of my favorite categories, light, semi-sweet, VERY accessible. I also like thick heavy stouts and porters, lagers, and some crazy stuff- but wheat beers are what I keep in the house to satisfy most of the "non-beer" drinkers who want to drink beer.

For me, it was a long path to develop the taste for beer. I didn't understand why people liked it, but I liked getting drunk in college, so I drank lots of beer. Now I do it for taste & relaxation, but I had to start somewhere.

Whoever mentioned that it is "like cigars", where you might be a bit scared off if you try some "full flavor full strength" stuff right off the bat, sounds pretty accurate to me. If you're just starting and you don't like the real intense stuff, I don't see why you wouldn't move to trying things that some describe as "piss-water". You obviously want less of that intensity, so do what makes you happy

My first cigar wasn't a LFD Digger, and my first beer wasn't a Russian River Damnation. Don't be afraid to take baby-steps, at least you'll be getting somewhere.
    I <3 Cigars

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

I must be the odd man out because I didn't "love" beer when I first tried it. It has become an aquired taste over the years to the point I brew my own.

I remember back in the 80's, as a teenage, and drinking beer ONLY because my friends did, it was cheap, easy to get and it was alcoholic. It was years (years!) and lots and lots and lots of beer before I started to appreciate beer for its taste.

If I had had a good fake ID I'd probably have bought JD, Seagrams or stuff like that from the liquor store to mix with coke or 7-up. Instead I past for older than I was and the gas stations didn't ask for ID, whereas the liquor stores did.

HIM

Weihenstephan. They've been brewing there since 1040 and it is the oldest existing brewery in the world. Their hefeweizen is a nice light ale with notes of banana, bubblegum, clove, wheat, and a good malt backbone. All their beers are great but the hefe is easy going and approachable. Otherwise maybe find yourself a nice Helles lager, also easy drinking and flavorful. You won't find hop bombs like we have in the states. English IPAs and even their barley wines just aren't brewed the same way. The malt is much more prominent.
    Last edited by HIM; 08-14-2014 at 02:30 AM.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

My wife's intro to beer was Young's Double Chocolate Stout, its got a lot of chocolate flavor in it and its a great transitional beer for those dipping their toes in the deep end. Nowadays she goes straight for a pint of Guinness. This sort of mirrors my entry into cigars when I started with the Javas and worked my way to Tat blacks.

Puffer Fish with some spikes DbeatDano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    Weihenstephan. They've been brewing there since 1040 and it is the oldest existing brewery in the world. Their hefeweizen is a nice light ale with notes of banana, bubblegum, clove, wheat, and a good malt backbone. All their beers are great but the hefe is easy going and approachable. Otherwise maybe find yourself a nice Helles lager, also easy drinking and flavorful. You won't find hop bombs like we have in the states. English IPAs and even their barley wines just aren't brewed the same way. The malt is much more prominent.
    The Vitus is also fantastic by Weihenstephaner. One of my favorite beers in the summer.

This is the right time of the year to start looking for any Oktoberfest on tap. In general, these aren't heavy and have some great flavors - usually lighter and a bit sweeter - not hoppy or bitter. Very drinkable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast