Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I hate beer. Can you help me change?

This is a discussion on I hate beer. Can you help me change? within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Hey guys, i'm relatively new to alcohol drinking and have been trying out various types and brands for the last ...

I hate beer. Can you help me change?

Hey guys, i'm relatively new to alcohol drinking and have been trying out various types and brands for the last couple of weeks. Over this period i've tried quite a few beers and ales and, if i'm honest, they make me want to throw up.

I understand that all beer is not for everyone but I believe most people have a beer that they enjoy that doesn't just taste like stale liquid to them.

Any tips or advice on how to enjoy beer? Any recommendations on what beers to drink?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish anthony d's Avatar

Re: I hate beer. Can you help me change?

Well, first off, what have you been drinking? What brands didn't you like? What flavors of them didn't you like?

Beer choice is similar to cigar choice, in the fact that everyone is gonna like different things.

For me, I like heavier, darker, malty, high-abv beers, like Stone Brewery's Double Bastard, Dogfish Head's Midas Touch, Brooklyn Lager, etc... Other people like IPA's, which are very hoppy, which I cannot stand. To me most IPA's taste like a skunked Heinekin. The only IPA I will drink is Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA, and that is only because it is anywhere from 18%-20%abv.
    Hmm...

Young Puffer Fish

I was the exact same way in undergrad. Frankly, my method was to just find a light beer I could handle, and drink a ton of it. Now I enjoy almost every type of beer.

I started out on really easy drinking beer, Rolling Rock and Coors Light.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

IMO beer is one of those things that either you like it or you dont. There are some that are better than others and tastes vary. Like Anthony said he likes a particular brand because its 15%-20%abv which I would not touch. If I wanted something with that much alcohol I would have a shot of liqueur at 40 proof. I tried that dogfish head 120 IPA once and it tasted like a hoppy beer mixed with rubbing alcohol. Its also a taste that may be acquired. When I was younger I dint care for beer at all. Now past 50 I enjoy a limited variety purely for the taste. I still wont touch mass produced stuff like budweiser, miller, coors etc.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish anthony d's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    IMO beer is one of those things that either you like it or you dont. There are some that are better than others and tastes vary. Like Anthony said he likes a particular brand because its 15%-20%abv which I would not touch. If I wanted something with that much alcohol I would have a shot of liqueur at 40 proof. I tried that dogfish head 120 IPA once and it tasted like a hoppy beer mixed with rubbing alcohol. Its also a taste that may be acquired. When I was younger I dint care for beer at all. Now past 50 I enjoy a limited variety purely for the taste. I still wont touch mass produced stuff like budweiser, miller, coors etc.
    Same here. I would rather not drink than drink Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, etc... All of that is just pisswater imo.
    Hmm...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Since the OP is in the UK, he probably is not familiar with brands available in the US. But yes what have you tried and
    what didn't you like about them. Lagers are an easy place to start, barley wines not so much. Lot of good ales
    In the UK as well as some porters. Maybe beer isn't for you.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordon Brooker View Post
    Hey guys, i'm relatively new to alcohol drinking and have been trying out various types and brands for the last couple of weeks. Over this period i've tried quite a few beers and ales and, if i'm honest, they make me want to throw up.

I understand that all beer is not for everyone but I believe most people have a beer that they enjoy that doesn't just taste like stale liquid to them.

Any tips or advice on how to enjoy beer? Any recommendations on what beers to drink?
    If you're trying ales, IPAs or heavier beers and finding that type of reaction, don't keep forcing yourself to try them. Step down into more "mass produced" beers and lagers made to drink in quantity, at least to start with. I find IPAs, Ales, Stouts, Porters and a number of more "craft" type beers to be a lot stronger in flavor profiles, and if you're new to those flavors they can often be bitter and overpowering and rather unenjoyable.

No idea if you could get it there, or something similar to it -
    Dundee Honey Brown Lager - Probably the first beer that caught me, in terms of enjoying it and willing to go back to it. It isn't expensive, should be fairly easy to find (here anyhow.) I'm not a huge beer drinker myself, but it isn't so weak in flavor that it tastes watered down but it isn't overpowering.

Also as mentioned, it just isn't for some people. No matter how much you drink of some things, you'll never find that taste for them.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony d View Post
    Same here. I would rather not drink than drink Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, etc... All of that is just pisswater imo.
    Everyone is different. Those are far easier to enter into the world of beer on for some people than IPA or Stouts. It's the same as cigars, flavor profiles fit different people. Some people can't handle anything more than a mild cigar to start with, some start with the nic bombs from the get go. It's not a bad way to enter into the world of beer, as it can lead to developing your palate and enjoying better products down the road.
    Puff's MASSIVE SmokeInn Microblend Contest! - Don't miss your chance to get some extremely limited, and some extremely hard to find Microblends!

Co-oprative Ale Honey Ale. 4.2% which was possibly the worst drink i've ever tasted.
    Desperadoes Beer 5.9% which is coming in a close second.

I don't taste any flavours with beer. Just what tastes like stale air to me.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordon Brooker View Post

Taste is very subjective so what i like may turn your stomach. IMHO if you tried beer and don't like it ,Why push the issue?
    Maybe wine or scotch or bourbon etc is more to your liking.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Better beers than what you tried ,
    Bass
    Samuel Smith
    Fuller
    Specked Hen
    New Castle
    Just to name few, these are all good beers IMO.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Your drug will choose you. You can't force it.

A few beers made over there that are available here, i like most the beers made by Wytchwood Brewery, and also Old Engine Oil made by Harviestoun Brewery.

Cant recall any of the other English beers that I liked too well

Beer for me was an acquired taste, as it probably was for others. Just experiment with different brands, dont stay with only mass marketed beers. Like others have said, beer may not be your thing, but then again if you do acquire a taste for it, it can be a most enjoyable part of life.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Pipe'in Aint Easy

When I read "I hate beer" I almost cired.

The region in which I live is considered by many to be the microbrew capitol of the world, so I love my beers. If the government took over tobacco and made it impossible to buy, I would be sad but would survive. Now if they got rid of brews...I'd move. Not worth living in a place where one can't enjoy a fine beer at least once a day!

When it comes to drinking craft brews, it is a lot like tobacco. You don't start out with an Imperial IPA or some Hop Monster IPA. You need to ease into it and develop your palate. Where I live, there is no shortage of craft beer available, being that you are in the UK though, I am not sure what you have available. I would start by getting a mellow(s) IPA, Strong American Ale, Pilsner, Stout, Lager and see what characteristics you like in each.

A few of my favorite Brit Beers are:

Samuel Smith Anything. Seriously a great brewery. Their oatmeal stout is to die for.
    Buxton Imperial Black
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    Thornbridge Hall Bracia
    Oakham Green Devil IPA

Being that you are form the UK, I am assuming that you have had Newcastle already. But if not, that is another brewery that you really can't go wrong with. You Brits make some damn fine beer!
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Most folks first starting out tend enjoy a flavorful lighter beer like a pilsner or lager. If you are in the UK, I would suggest trying:

Bass
    Beck's
    Amstel
    Heineken
    Stella Artois

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-hp View Post
    Most folks first starting out tend enjoy a flavorful lighter beer like a pilsner or lager. If you are in the UK, I would suggest trying:

Bass
    Beck's
    Amstel
    Heineken
    Stella Artois
    I was wondering if trying some of the more "Popular" brands are the way forward and perhaps I was diving in the deep end.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast