Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Found a wonderful ale this weekend! (Mini-Review) Maudite

This is a discussion on Found a wonderful ale this weekend! (Mini-Review) Maudite within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; I'm generally not big into drinking, though lately I've been delving into craft beers here or there when I have ...

Found a wonderful ale this weekend! (Mini-Review) Maudite

I'm generally not big into drinking, though lately I've been delving into craft beers here or there when I have the extra money. I've been able to get ahold of a couple of local breweries that have offered some different flavors, as well as the review I did on the forums here a short while back.

I've come to find that my tastes vary.. I tend to like a good, crisp lager that has some flavor and body behind it. I've not found many IPAs that fit my taste. I throw in the occasional porter or stout when I want something darker and heavier. Went this past weekend and grabbed a couple of new things to try..and I must say this is one of the best ales that I've tried to date.

Maudite (brewed by Unibroue) is an Amber Red Ale brewed in Canada. I managed to find this set at a semi-local craft beer shop for 12.99. The beer itself retailed there for 8.99, and to be completely honest I really only picked it up because I liked the glass. Having not found many ales I've been particularly fond of, I wasn't expecting to really enjoy the beer.

After a long night of work, I came in this morning and decided to pop it open and give it a go. I have to say, I'm really impressed and this is by far the best ale that I've personally found to match my tastes. It has a nice, crisp finish that allows the flavors to linger, but no bitterness stays on the tongue after drinking. It's got citrus tones that blend well with a heavier spice. Doesn't come off as bitter at all on the finish to me, and is nice and smooth.

It also offers up a wonderful aroma. Dark citrus, strong floral and mild spice

While the picture reflects the Nica Rustica, I haven't smoked a cigar with this yet, though I certainly do plan to pair the two of these together very soon. I believe the profiles will blend rather nicely, as it would with some other heartier Nicaraguans.

I will definitely be splurging here or there to pick some of this up regularly. Wonderfully pleasant surprise when I expected another disappointment. If you can find it and haven't tried it, do so if you're a fan of ales or darker lagers. I'd love to hear thoughts of others who have tried the beer!
    Puff's MASSIVE SmokeInn Microblend Contest! - Don't miss your chance to get some extremely limited, and some extremely hard to find Microblends!

Re: Found a wonderful ale this weekend! (Mini-Review) Maudite

Great beer, try their Trois Pistoles for some rich, semi-sweet dark beer goodness.

Nice review Michael!

I havent had Maudite in a long while, seems like I remember it being very nice, fruity tasting. It seems I do like the La Fin Du Monde over their other offerings I have been able to sample.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Puffer Fish with some spikes

If you want some Unibroue on the cheap, IIRC, the Trader Joe's Vintage Ales are brewed by them. They aren't quite as good as the Unibroue labled beers, but they're only like $5-$6 per bottle.