Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black and Tan

This is a discussion on Black and Tan within the Food, Wine, & Spirits Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Everytime I drink black and tans I can never get the Guinness float on top right! Any tips? BTW Im ...

Black and Tan

Everytime I drink black and tans I can never get the Guinness float on top right! Any tips? BTW Im using Bass, a friend told me to use Harp? Thanks in advance!
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...eys/AR15-1.gif A Person that says something cant be done, shouldn't interrupt me actually fukking doing it! http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ys/LAR15-1.gif

[SIZE="4"]
    Icehog3 and pnoon '08
    Rock the Vote
    [/SIZE]

Dave's not here, man! hollywood's Avatar

Re: Black and Tan

Quote Originally Posted by zemekone
    Everytime I drink black and tans I can never get the Guinness float on top right! Any tips? BTW Im using Bass, a friend told me to use Harp? Thanks in advance!

Your friend is right. Bass will work, but is much harder to float right for some reason. Wen you pour the second layer; tip the glass until it is a bout to spill. Then very slowly pour and gradually tip up the glass at the same time. If you pour and tip correctly, it should work everytime. Mmmmmm! Good!

I Do Medical Things partagaspete's Avatar

It is easy I taught a bar in Italy how to to it right (they were advertising them but they were just mixing the two). My friends and I got alot of free drinks that night.

The tip is: slowly pour the guinness off the back side of a petite blond..err I mean a spoon. I prefer to bend mine into a comfortable position the spoon as well as the blond.

T
    Check this out: www.beersofeurope.co.uk

If it felt good saying it...it was probably the wrong thing to say.

R.I.P. Lowland Louie. Gone but not forgotten.

I Do Medical Things partagaspete's Avatar

Also; to make a black and white use Harp instead of Bass.

T
    Check this out: www.beersofeurope.co.uk

If it felt good saying it...it was probably the wrong thing to say.

R.I.P. Lowland Louie. Gone but not forgotten.

1) Get a Brütül, it makes the layering much easier than any other layering tool I have tried. Pictured below.

2) Use stout in the "draught cans" IE the ones that contain the "widget" which is a ping pong ball looking thing that shoots extra air into the stout when you open the can. Do not use the new draught bottles as the "widget" in those is designed to shoot a little bit of air at a time over a long time to allow you to drink out of the bottle. When you get good at layering beers you won't need these special cans, and paying attention to the gravity of the beers can also make it easy. For beginners though these cans are great.

3) When you pour the first beer (the tan), pour it in roughly to get it to foam up a LOT. Remove further gas by swirling the beer around, alternating directions.

4) Don't wait for the first beer's head to die down, that will help to slow down the stout even more when you pour it in SLOWLY.

This works for me...
    -Matt-

PS: Black & Tan is Guinness and Bass; Guinness and Harp is a Half and Half.

Other Recipes that work:

BLACK & TAN
    Guinness - Bass Ale

BLACKTOP
    Beamish - Fat Tire Amber Ale

HALF & HALF
    Guinness - Harp Lager

PATRIOT
    Guinness - Sam Adams Lager

SNAPPER
    Murphy's - Redhook ESB

BOHEMIAN
    Beamish - Pilsner Urquell

BLACK VELVET
    Guinness - Champagne

BIG EASY
    Beamish - Abita Amber Lager

SNAKEBITE
    Guinness - Hard Cider

BUMBLE BEE
    Murphy's - Dundee Honey Lager

BLACKSMITH
    Guinness - Smithwick's Ale

Matt's (yet to be named) creation:
    Young's Oatmeal Stout - Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

-Matt-

Matt, your creation sounds wild...where do you get Dogfish head?

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by icehog3
    Matt, your creation sounds wild...where do you get Dogfish head?
    A grocery store nearby has a decent selection of premium beers, I get it there. I have also tried their Raison D'Etre. I would love to try their 90 and 120 minute IPAs but haven't found em yet. If you check dogfish.com they have a listing of distributors by state, call the distributor to find out who in your area they distribute to..

-Matt-

Puffer Fish with many spikes shelvingunit's Avatar

Great info Matt, somehow I knew you would have the answer

I'll have to give some of those recipes a shot. I've had the 60 min IPA..I've heard the 120 will put you on your a$$

Full grown Puffer Fish

Dogfish Head is a great brewery. Very inventive, have yet to drink a bad brew. I have had the 120 minute IPA, and you are absolutely correct in that it will kick your butt;... but oh so tasty. Frank B

Thanks for the info Matt, I'm gonna check that out now.

Quote Originally Posted by txmatt
    A grocery store nearby has a decent selection of premium beers, I get it there. I have also tried their Raison D'Etre. I would love to try their 90 and 120 minute IPAs but haven't found em yet. If you check dogfish.com they have a listing of distributors by state, call the distributor to find out who in your area they distribute to..

-Matt-

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

Man, you guys are so lucky that you are able to purchase beer in a grocery store. PA is so ultra conservative in that way. It keeps the price of beer artificially high. I end up crossing the border into NY where I go to a CVS pharmacy to pick up 12 packs that cost as much as 6 packs do in PA.

Two years ago a drove to Texas from PA. I couldn't believe it when I ventured into super Walmarts and saw the alcohol aisle. It was more akin to how they do it in Europe.

Puffer Fish with some spikes MrINMENSO's Avatar

For any North Carolinians out there, I suggest Red Oak and Guiness...a local bar here calls it a Black Widow...mmmmm Dogfish rocks, but I too have only had the 60 min IPA...for some reason, as long as the stupid alcohol laws exist in my state, I won't be seeing anything much more potent than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Man, you guys are so lucky that you are able to purchase beer in a grocery store. PA is so ultra conservative in that way. It keeps the price of beer artificially high. I end up crossing the border into NY where I go to a CVS pharmacy to pick up 12 packs that cost as much as 6 packs do in PA.

Two years ago a drove to Texas from PA. I couldn't believe it when I ventured into super Walmarts and saw the alcohol aisle. It was more akin to how they do it in Europe.
    I avoid Super Walmart beer now. Maybe its just my location, but the beer is skunked almost ever time.

-Matt-

I got to try this black and tan. I love beer but I have never taken it seriously. thanks matt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast