Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Diplomacy of Middle-Earth - Game Overview

This is a discussion on Diplomacy of Middle-Earth - Game Overview within the Gamers Forum forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; ...

No longer a community member. Nickerson's Avatar

Red face Diplomacy of Middle-Earth - Game Overview

Introduction:
    Diplomacy of Middle-Earth (DoME) is a browser based, Middle-Earth themed, war and strategy game. The object of the game is for the players to build the strongest Nation possible, as the will be going head to head in battles with other nations. Any member of the website may join the game and start building their own army. There are several nations to choose, each are unique in their own ways. The nation you choose plays a key roll in what strategy you should use, as it offers specific types of bonuses and offers a different selection of men from other nations. The success of your nation depends on your use of Diplomacy.

Diplomacy:
    Diplomacy is the art and practice of conducting negotiations between representatives of nations. It usually refers to international diplomacy, the conduct of international relations through the intercession of professional diplomats with regard to issues of peace-making, trade, war, economics and culture. International treaties are usually negotiated by diplomats prior to endorsement by national politicians. In the novels in the Middle Earth series, the theme of Diplomacy plays a common role, as it does in any situation that involves war.

Middle-Earth:
    Middle-Earth refers to the fictional lands where most of the stories of author J. R. R. Tolkien take place. These stories include The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien's stories chronicle the struggle to control the world (called Arda) and the continent of Middle-Earth, between the angelic Valar, the Elves and their allies among Men; and the demonic Melkor or Morgoth (a Vala fallen into evil) and his minions, mostly Orcs, Dragons and enslaved men. In later ages, after Morgoth's defeat and expulsion from Arda, his role is continued by his acolyte Sauron. The Valar withdrew from direct involvement in the affairs of Middle-Earth after the defeat of Morgoth, but in later years they sent the wizards or Istari to help in the struggle against Sauron. The most important of these were Gandalf the Grey and Saruman the White. Gandalf remained true to his mission and proved crucial in the fight for Sauron's destruction. Saruman however, became corrupted, and sought to establish himself as a rival to Sauron for absolute power in Middle-Earth. Other races involved in the struggle against evil are Dwarves, Ents and most famously Hobbits. The early stages of the conflict are chronicled in Tolkien's work The Silmarillion, while the final stages of the struggle to defeat Sauron are dealt with in his works The Hobbit and the main text of The Lord of the Rings.

A recurring theme in the stories is that the focus of conflict is on the possession and control of precious or magical objects. The First Age of Middle-Earth is dominated by the doomed quest of the Elf Fëanor and most of his Noldor clan to recover the three precious jewels called the Silmarils (hence the name Silmarillion), stolen from them by Morgoth. The Second and Third Age are both dominated by the forging of the Rings of Power, and in particular by the fate of the One Ring forged by Sauron, which grants the power to control or influence all the others wearing the nine rings given to Men or seven given to Dwarves to its wearer (hence the name The Lord of the Rings).

Diplomacy of Middle-Earth Game Overview:
    Diplomacy of Middle-Earth is a game of war strategy where players choose a nation in which they will build up an army. The main objective of the game is to build the strongest force possible. Players may attack players of different nations and set up alliances with others. The use of diplomacy to establish an alliance with other nations and to make war with others plays a crucial role.

When a player attacks a different nation or is attacked, they will have points added or deducted from their rating. The goal is to achieve the highest rating possible. Successfully defending your land from an attack or successfully attacking another nation will result in a gain of points to your total rating. However, if you are unsuccessful in defending your land or attacking another nation, you will lose points from your total rating. The number of points gained or lost is determined by the strength of the player you are facing. For more information on the rating system please visiting the page for the Ranking System.

There are a total of 8 different nations that players may choose. Four nations are of the side of the Alliance, more commonly known as the Good side. These nations are Gondor, Rohan, Lothlórien and Erebor. The other four nations are on the evil side, known as the Horde. These nations are Mordor, Rhûn, Haradwaith and Isengard. Each nation is unique in its own way, thus giving it different strategy than other nations. Each nation offers special bonuses to their statistics, as well as a different selection of men. The nation a player chooses plays a key role in the strategy that they should use.

Players will spawn gold periodically where they can spend this gold on new recruits, training for their troops, equipment for their troops or invest in miners to increase the income flow of gold. The different options of what to do with the gold a player has creates an opportunity for strategy. Gold is the most valuable asset in the game and should be used wisely. You may also gain gold, new recruits, training, and equipment for troops by partaking in quests. Quests offer a valuable opportunity for improving your army, however, when partaking in a quest your nations defense is cut in half leaving you vulnerable to attack.

The game itself is run in season. During which players may climb to the top of the ranking system, more commonly known as the ladder. As previously stated, the main objective of the game is to achieve the highest rating possible. The ratings will be reset every 2-3 months by default, providing both new players and returning players another chance at building up their nation and climbing to the top of the ladder. When a reset is performed, the game will keep record of the players previous standings from past seasons. Both new players and returning players will then be able to re-enroll in the game choosing a new nation or the same nation if they please. All players will start out with the same rating giving everyone an equal opportunity.

Re: Diplomacy of Middle-Earth - Game Overview

Sounds good, thanks for all the work you have put into this, when will it go up so we can start playing?

No longer a community member. Nickerson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Sounds good, thanks for all the work you have put into this, when will it go up so we can start playing?
    I'll let you guys know about a week before I do so, that way everyone is ready to get a head start as soon as I put it up. At the moment I'm writing up a few more things of documentation and I have a buddy of mine who does graphic arts do some artwork for the game.

Game probably would be done if it weren't for my recent surge of anxiety. I have had an anxiety disorder for over 4 years now. It was under good management with medication in the past 2 years but recently started coming back.

I'm dedicating as much free time as I can bare to the game though to get it up as soon as possible for you guys (and for myself, hehe!).

Just finished writing my summary of The Lord of the Rings so you guys can understand whats going on while this game takes place, its too long in length to be posted on this forum though, haha! I'll have to have Jon make it so I can post it.

Young Puffer Fish chestrockwell80's Avatar

Sounds great thanks!