Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How long do cigars stay in your system?

This is a discussion on How long do cigars stay in your system? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I'm having a life insurance policy put in place for work and my insurance agent asked me if I smoke. ...

How long do cigars stay in your system?

I'm having a life insurance policy put in place for work and my insurance agent asked me if I smoke. I said only cigars. She said they count that and that it takes around 3 weeks to get that fully out of your system. The rate is significantly different for non-smokers (several hundred dollars per year). For that amount of money I suppose I can wait that long (that pains me to say), but is that really accurate? I think the tests are blood tests.

No longer a community member. St. Lou Stu's Avatar

Re: How long do cigars stay in your system?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan35um View Post
    I'm having a life insurance policy put in place for work and my insurance agent asked me if I smoke. I said only cigars. She said they count that and that it takes around 3 weeks to get that fully out of your system. The rate is significantly different for non-smokers (several hundred dollars per year). For that amount of money I suppose I can wait that long (that pains me to say), but is that really accurate? I think the tests are blood tests.

Whaaaaaaa? Tobacco Test?
    I think yer screwed if you told the agent anyway.
    She works for 'The Man', you ain't gonna get a fair shake even if the whiz quiz comes back clean.

RIP Louie

You forgot to say how often you smoke. I know "someone" who had a blood test for the exact same reason 10 days after smoking a stogie and the test was negative. This same "someone" at the time was only smoking about one a week.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes yourchoice's Avatar

I've heard two weeks, but go with three to be on the safe side. It will be worth it in the long run.

I have neither any medical training, nor an insurance background. This is based solely off a fellow BOTL's experience. He was told by his insurance agent 2 weeks, and as far as I know, everything was a-okay (BTW, he smoked an average of two a day +/-).

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
    Whaaaaaaa? Tobacco Test?
    I think yer screwed if you told the agent anyway.
    She works for 'The Man', you ain't gonna get a fair shake even if the whiz quiz comes back clean.
    My insurance agent was helping me try to avoid having to pay the extra. She watches out for us luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsmokin View Post
    You forgot to say how often you smoke. I know "someone" who had a blood test for the exact same reason 10 days after smoking a stogie and the test was negative. This same "someone" at the time was only smoking about one a week.
    I smoke a cigar once a week usually.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mustang1's Avatar

I had to get a life insurance policy for my job aswell. I just told the guy I didn't smoke or use any tobacco products and that was the end of it. I don't think they test for it in blood samples,God knows I had enough of them, nothing ever came up. My GF told her agent that she recently quit when she was getting her policy, they swabbed her mouth for traces of nicotine. My guess is you should've kept mum about the cigar smoking.

I'd lay off of them for a couple weeks to be safe. Good Luck.
    But they soon realize... they just F***ed with the wrong Mexican!" -Machete

And She Liked It.

Puffer Fish with some spikes ljh824's Avatar

If you don't inhale, shouldn't the time be significantly less than a cigarette smoker that does inhale?
    SEMPER FIDELIS!

No longer a community member. St. Lou Stu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ljh824 View Post
    If you don't inhale, shouldn't the time be significantly less than a cigarette smoker that does inhale?
    That's what Clinton thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang1 View Post
    I had to get a life insurance policy for my job aswell. I just told the guy I didn't smoke or use any tobacco products and that was the end of it. I don't think they test for it in blood samples,God knows I had enough of them, nothing ever came up. My GF told her agent that she recently quit when she was getting her policy, they swabbed her mouth for traces of nicotine. My guess is you should've kept mum about the cigar smoking.

I'd lay off of them for a couple weeks to be safe. Good Luck.
    The blood tests happen anyways for what i'm doing. My insurance agent told me the stuff about smoking as a precaution and said if you do that it will be important to wait 3 weeks so the tests come back clean.

That sounds like something German like circa 1940.

I would told that chick bout my other cigar in my pants.
    Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

No longer a community member.

Thats a great idea - then you would have been swiftly sued and shown the door, it is never a good idea to offend the person who is about to put an annual cost for something you will be paying out of pocket - but hey thats just me.

Maybe I'm tired of the flu and took that too literally?

Haha

I think I heard the average time through the digestive system is anywhere between 24 and 72 hours.
    The real question is, why are you eating cigars?

No longer a community member.

I work in the insurance biz, and I can tell you that the urine test you submit for a life insurance application/policy does indeed check for tobacco. The rates will normally triple or so based on age for a smoker. If you drink lots of water and eat nothing with salt over the next few days, it should leave your system. Most will only stay for about 7 days. You can buy sample tests at CVS or online for about $15 that will check it for you.

100% KIWI

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast