Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting a Bad Smell Out of a Humidor

This is a discussion on Getting a Bad Smell Out of a Humidor within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Long story short a guy at the B&M today gifted me his old humi so I could give it to ...

Getting a Bad Smell Out of a Humidor

Long story short a guy at the B&M today gifted me his old humi so I could give it to a buddy of mine who is just starting down the slope. He said he had it for 10 years, very generous of him. The problem is the inside of the humidor smells very musty and bad. It just has an old wet basement smell to it.

How can I get that smell out??????

Ive had it open all day and it still has the odor.
    Last edited by BamBam; 07-09-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Re: Getting a Bad Smell Out of a Humidor

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
    Long story short a guy at the B&M today gifted me his old humi so I could give it to a buddy of mine who is just starting down the slope. He said he had it for 10 years, very generous of him. The problem is the inside of the humidor smells very musty and bad. It just has an old wet basement smell to it.

How can I get that smell out??????

Ive had it open all day and it still has the odor.

Can I use, dare I say it, Febreze?????? and then leave it open to dry

Be gentle on that last question, I haven't done anything yet

No febreze! Try putting an open box of baking soda in there and close the lid.
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10978&dateline=121426  5373
    1776 Continental Dollar

Just season it and throw in some sticks that you don't care as much about for a while. The tobacco smell takes over pretty quickly.

My little humidor reeked of burn smell because my dad saved these two half-done cigars in it. I just let it go and added some sticks to it, and now there's no trace of it.

DMK
    No longer a community member. DMK's Avatar

A small bowl or charcoal, not briquettes but real charcoal.
    Leave it shut for a couple of days.

Scratching Itches chippewastud79's Avatar

Leave it open for day or two. Then try the baking soda thing. Then re-season and kick your buddy in the ass as you send him down the slope
    You can never have too many cigars, they are like an investment in good times.

Thanks fellas will have to do the baking soda or charcoal method. I took out the reference to using febreze. If any of you tell I wrote that in my original post I will deny, deny ,deny.

Thanks fellas will have to do the baking soda or charcoal method. I took out the reference to using febreze. If any of you tell I wrote that in my original post I will deny, deny ,deny.
    You cannot hide from the internet.
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10978&dateline=121426  5373
    1776 Continental Dollar

Quote Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
    No febreze! Try putting an open box of baking soda in there and close the lid.
    Febreze...who said anything about Febreze....that is a horrible idea

If the febreeze... er baking soda doesn't work, you may try running a bit of fine grained sandpaper over the cedar. It'll release that cedary goodness.

D

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Elder Puffer Fish Leader shilala's Avatar

I think I'd definately do something to kill the mold/mildew that's present and causing the odor. If nothing else, I'd load a sprayer and saturate it a couple times with alcohol.
    It just scares me. The thought of creating the perfect temperature and humidity to grow mold and mildew into a box that's wood is covered and maybe impregnated with spores sounds like it'll make a better mushroom farm than a humidor.
    A thorough cleaning isn't going to harm it, I'm sure. Without it, I'm certain I wouldn't put cigars in it. It's just not worth the chance. And if a cleaning stains the inside, who cares?, ya know?

Inmate

Quote Originally Posted by shilala View Post
    I think I'd definately do something to kill the mold/mildew that's present and causing the odor. If nothing else, I'd load a sprayer and saturate it a couple times with alcohol.
    It just scares me. The thought of creating the perfect temperature and humidity to grow mold and mildew into a box that's wood is covered and maybe impregnated with spores sounds like it'll make a better mushroom farm than a humidor.
    A thorough cleaning isn't going to harm it, I'm sure. Without it, I'm certain I wouldn't put cigars in it. It's just not worth the chance. And if a cleaning stains the inside, who cares?, ya know?
    I think spraying with some alcohol is a great idea. It should kill most of the spores and other nasties.

Okay now we're talkin. Now when you say alcohol are you talking rubbing alcohol or a good vodka. Don't laugh I'm serious. I clean my pipes with vodka to kill the germs.

It already has some stains in it anyways, so, no worries there.

Puffer Fish with some spikes fsjonsey's Avatar

Worst comes to worst, you can sand the interior of the humi with fine grit sandpaper until the familiar spanish cedar smell returns.
    Tubes n' Tubos

Elder Puffer Fish Leader shilala's Avatar

Okay now we're talkin. Now when you say alcohol are you talking rubbing alcohol or a good vodka. Don't laugh I'm serious. I clean my pipes with vodka to kill the germs.
    It's just called Alcohol. Not rubbing alcohol, it has mentholatum in it.
    The same kind you use to clean a wound or syringes and so forth.
    Someone above suggested you could sand the box out after using the alcohol. Also a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast