Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Does your preacher smoke cigars?

This is a discussion on Does your preacher smoke cigars? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; If you mean my wife....no she does not smoke....

Puffer Fish with some spikes Rudder's Avatar

Re: Does your preacher smoke cigars?

If you mean my wife....no she does not smoke.

Big Fish in a Little Bowl

I don't know any preachers that smoke cigars, but I really don't see the problem with it. I mean, if my preacher were out on the front stoop of the church lighting up a heater before service, that might be a problem. But, if he chooses to smoke a few stogies when away from church, then more power to him. I used to be very legalistic, but now I know that Christianity is not about what we do or don't do....its about what Christ did for us.

I see what you're doing!! Architeuthis's Avatar

Pick one of the following...

A> Squid® doesn't have a "preacher".

B> Squid® doesn't believe in "preachers".

C> Squid® shoots preachers on sight...

D> Squid® is the son of a preacher-man.

E> If Squid® saw a preacher with a cigar, I'd knock him down and steal it!

HAW! <G>

I'm not quite sure if my preacher does or not. I play guitar in the worship band and I smoke cigars. Does that count?

I'm the worship leader for our church and enjoy a good cigar. It's good to see other preachers enjoying a cigar.
    "smoking to the glory of God" C.H. Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by truckinusa View Post
    I met a Mexican Missionary that loved cigars the other day. I guess it takes all kinds? Real nice guy too.
    My dad is a pastor. In fact, I go to his church, and he enjoys the occasional cigar. In fact he gave me my first non-Walmart-crap cigar.
    What can I say?

Interesting topic!

I attended a church for many years and was (still am) very good friends with the pastor there. However, he is very legalistic, I'm not even sure if legalistic is the right word because he makes up a lot of his own 'rules' that his church members either can't do or must do.

I left that church about a year ago, was feeling too beat down every week, and now attend a church that is much more focused on the fact that God is all about love and Christ died for our sins. My pastor does not smoke or drink, but that is because he is a recovering alcoholic. He never, ever condemns anyone for the things they do and likes to teach others the word and give them the tools they need to develop a personal relationship with Jesus.

I guess I'm boucning around the question here but my point is this. Even if a pastor does not smoke cigars it's important for him to let his congregation know they aren't going to hell if they smoke a cigar - unless it's a White Owl. j/k, j/k.....

My pastor once said this - We've spent our entire lives having churches 'diagnose' our illnesses, he's ready to focus on healing them. Amen.
    Tim D. ~ Woodstock, GA

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It good to know that others out there prize their relationship with Jesus and enjoy a cigar too.
    "smoking to the glory of God" C.H. Spurgeon

my preist at my church smokes cigars. I noticed his humidor and a bucket full of nubbed cigars when i was painting his living house and doing landscaping ect. I was there to help out my friend for his eagle scout project at the preists house.
    "A fine cigar is the essence of life. "
    -King Edward VII of England

Puffer Fish with many spikes boxer757's Avatar

My friend's brother in law is a minister and he smokes cigars, he's actually who got my buddy into it.

My pastor does not smoke cigars, but I know he would probably not be cool with it because of the example he is expected to portray. Its not that he is uncool, its the members of the church that can be quite legalistic about things like that.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Theophilus's Avatar

I just thought I'd say that I think that this is a great thread. I think everyone who has posted has summed up what I think quite well. I'm in my last semester at a very conservative seminary. Needless to say the use of alcohol and tobacco is frowned upon. I'm not a pastor yet, but when I am I will definitely be smoking cigars and enjoying a good drink every now and then. And since we're on the subject, here's my favorite verse regarding questionable activities:

Matthew 11:18-19 - "For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He has a demon." The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!" Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds."

I can't get over the fact that Jesus is a friend of sinners (like me)!
    "Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued."

- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    without hijaking the thread, jesus had to be friends and reach out to sinners because we all are. who else could he be friends with? thats why he came. but good comment and nice use of the good book.
    "A fine cigar is the essence of life. "
    -King Edward VII of England

It's funny, though, the way that God speaks to me. And many times, it's while I'm quietly enjoying a cigar. I have wondered if it's sacrilegious to be thankful for the tobacco and all that goes into cigars.
    What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    I just thought I'd say that I think that this is a great thread. I think everyone who has posted has summed up what I think quite well. I'm in my last semester at a very conservative seminary. Needless to say the use of alcohol and tobacco is frowned upon. I'm not a pastor yet, but when I am I will definitely be smoking cigars and enjoying a good drink every now and then. And since we're on the subject, here's my favorite verse regarding questionable activities:

Matthew 11:18-19 - "For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He has a demon." The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!" Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds."

Amen brother..my Pastor loves a good cigar (in fact I gave him a couple of Don Pepin JJ Maduro's for his b'day recently), while playing skins on the golf course..(took him for $75 last spring! If we all hung around the folks who didn't need saving..who would be there to show them the way!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast