Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

why the sale of CS causes concern

This is a discussion on why the sale of CS causes concern within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I've been following the sale talk. Not really commenting because I'm new here and don't now much about Jon or ...

why the sale of CS causes concern

I've been following the sale talk. Not really commenting because I'm new here and don't now much about Jon or the current guys.

A little while ago I posted a thread about liking club stogie and how it is a really nice. Non-cliquey place which is rare. And I think this rare combination of people is what causes the concern. When you have thousands of guys who

1. Are somewhat arrogant. Let's face it we post our opinions online for others to read, like it should matter to them. There is a certain amount of arrogance in that.

2. Are a little elitest. We smoke hand rolled cigars. Premium stuff. There is elitism in that.

You take a group of guys that large with those qualities that get along for the most part with a large amount of mutual respect. That is something.

A lot of guys have tried other forums and belong to other forums that don't have that and don't want to see this place vanish. In the month or so I've been here I've basically abandoned the other forums. Met some guys. And have a herf planned for this month. At my other forums had one guy offer to meet with me, and only really to "educate me" on how stupid my opinion was that was different than his. And I'd been at it for months.

Basically we have something worth saving here. So I guess this is more of a plea to Jon "don't change much" as well as a reminder to those out there who worry about the change to not jump ship yet. We have a rare and awesome thing going here, let's keep it going.
    Legend
    Stay lit my friends

Re: why the sale of CS causes concern

You are wise...
    Space available for rent!

All I want to know is if my RG is safe.
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10978&dateline=121426  5373
    1776 Continental Dollar

Quote Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
    Space available for rent!

No longer a community member.

All rational community members should be concerned. Everyone needs to also sit back and think about what we are and how we got here. Ownership change, however done, should have no impact on who we are, little to do with how we interact and... well the state of our home might change but then again new paint and wallpaper is normally resisted but usually begrudgingly well received once complete.

The biggest things to watch are .... who's playing referee and what are the rules of engagement. Assuming the represented commitment for continuity there is honored, it's pretty hard to envision a radical course change to our culture.

However, if Jon fcks it up, we can all bail and find a new place to hang out.

Seems to me the concern rests with those you perceive to be causing you concern who have a significant financial interest in not driving away good members and destroying our community spirit, not with us. It's unlike a business acquisition where employees are meat and the customers are the issue. We are the customers/business per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
    ditto

The new announcement is up...

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189078

Puff.Com
    "When I have found... a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God and have blessed His name" - Charles H. Spurgeon

I can't see myself visiting a site named PUFF.com. That name doesn't bring cigar smoking to mind.
    "Mr Flibble is very cross!"

My biggest concern is the vast difference between an owner and a leader of a website.

With Paul, we had a leader.

This will be fun to watch......

Full grown Puffer Fish Gophernut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
    I can't see myself visiting a site named PUFF.com. That name doesn't bring cigar smoking to mind.
    Not nearly as manly as Club Stogie sounds. Seems too soft somehow.

Awaiting Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
    Not nearly as manly as Club Stogie sounds. Seems too soft somehow.
    I hope that you don't tie in your identity as a man into the name of the cigar forum you are a member of. CS by any other name remains CS because, as Dave has pointed out, of the people and the way that it is run.

I'm sure that, at least for a year or so, Jon will continue to own the domain names and will have the underlying magic (DNS pointer records) done to point them all to the right location(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    I've been following the sale talk. Not really commenting because I'm new here and don't now much about Jon or the current guys.

A little while ago I posted a thread about liking club stogie and how it is a really nice. Non-cliquey place which is rare. And I think this rare combination of people is what causes the concern. When you have thousands of guys who

1. Are somewhat arrogant. Let's face it we post our opinions online for others to read, like it should matter to them. There is a certain amount of arrogance in that.

2. Are a little elitest. We smoke hand rolled cigars. Premium stuff. There is elitism in that.

You take a group of guys that large with those qualities that get along for the most part with a large amount of mutual respect. That is something.

A lot of guys have tried other forums and belong to other forums that don't have that and don't want to see this place vanish. In the month or so I've been here I've basically abandoned the other forums. Met some guys. And have a herf planned for this month. At my other forums had one guy offer to meet with me, and only really to "educate me" on how stupid my opinion was that was different than his. And I'd been at it for months.

Basically we have something worth saving here. So I guess this is more of a plea to Jon "don't change much" as well as a reminder to those out there who worry about the change to not jump ship yet. We have a rare and awesome thing going here, let's keep it going.

A) I value everyone's opinion here, almost .

B) If it's not rolled on a virgins upper inner leg I'm not an elitist.

C) If the MODs are good with it I'll support them. We can always choose to go hang out elsewhere if we want.

Almost everyone fears change (or the unknown), it's completely rational.

Give it a chance to see how things shake out 6 months from now. If it doesn't work, we all meet up somewhere else - no bid deal (IMHO of course).

Just my $.02

~Mark

Puffer Fish with some spikes Cigarin-Martin's Avatar

Brings back memories of looking around at various cigar forums before joining CS, the idea of no snobbery was what set CS apart from the rest (from the outside looking in) and it was true their is no snobbery, just hope we're not frowned upon by the other forums and it becomes "them n us."
    I'll keep an open mind on this matter and will try not to jump on any "bandwagons" but i will stand up for my fellow Gorillas if needed.
    [SIZE=4]Gorillas are large, quiet, shy apes that live in Africa. They live in small groups of 6-7 individuals, including one silverback, a few females, and their young. Because of loss of habitat, these majestic primates are on the verge of extinction.[/SIZE]

kas
    Puffer Fish with many spikes kas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
    All rational community members should be concerned. Everyone needs to also sit back and think about what we are and how we got here. Ownership change, however done, should have no impact on who we are, little to do with how we interact and... well the state of our home might change but then again new paint and wallpaper is normally resisted but usually begrudgingly well received once complete.

The biggest things to watch are .... who's playing referee and what are the rules of engagement. Assuming the represented commitment for continuity there is honored, it's pretty hard to envision a radical course change to our culture.

However, if Jon fcks it up, we can all bail and find a new place to hang out.

Seems to me the concern rests with those you perceive to be causing you concern who have a significant financial interest in not driving away good members and destroying our community spirit, not with us. It's unlike a business acquisition where employees are meat and the customers are the issue. We are the customers/business per se.

I have an enormous amount of respect and gratitude for all you and the other mods have done. And, while I'm encouraged that the mods will be staying on as "referrees," I am acquainted with scads of business deals where the old CEO was kept on or made co-CEO or whatever and -- virtually without fail -- the new owners do what they want and things change. And eventually the old cadre leaves or is nudged aside. I hope that doesn't happen, but I would not be surprised.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast