Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What does "Spicy" mean to you?

This is a discussion on What does "Spicy" mean to you? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; When I first started reading this and other forums a few years ago, I continually read about cigars that were ...

What does "Spicy" mean to you?

When I first started reading this and other forums a few years ago, I continually read about cigars that were described as spicy. Before you read on I want you to think about that word, "spicy." When you hear it what does it mean to you? Initially as a relative noob, I just thought it meant peppery or hot spicy like jalapeno, but I've come to believe it could also mean tasting like spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.). These two catagories are completely different to me, I prefer cigars tasting like spices, but not so much pepper or hot spicy. So the question is, when I read the word spicy in a review how should I read it? When I do any reviews now, I try to specify. What say you? Also, same question with "spice bomb."

I started thinking about this when I saw some cigar websites with cigar tasting wheels (links below)

Cigar Wheel 1
    Cigar Wheel 2

kas
    Puffer Fish with many spikes kas's Avatar

Re: What does "Spicy" mean to you?

You make a very interesting and important distinction. My sense is that most reviews that use "spicy" and "spice bomb" actually mean that the cigar has a peppery bite to it -- I always think of Don Pepin Garcias in this way. When a review mentions picking up "spices" in tasting notes, I take that to mean cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, et al. There are a few who will make sub-distinctions like "white pepper" to describe the kind of peppery taste. But, in general, if somebody claims that a cigar starts with a blast of spice - or something akin to that -- I would assume it's the hot version they are describing and not the more subtle baking spices cited above.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

I'm used to using spicy in day to day conversation for peppers like habanero and hotsauces. When it comes to cigars though I don't think i've ever encountered a jalapeno taste and whenever I use the term in terms of cigars it's usual peppery flavors and the ones mentioned in the tasting wheels.

the fiend Davy Jones mrreindeer's Avatar

Great thread, Augie; you should throw it into my contest thread! See my Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    You make a very interesting and important distinction. My sense is that most reviews that use "spicy" and "spice bomb" actually mean that the cigar has a peppery bite to it -- I always think of Don Pepin Garcias in this way. When a review mentions picking up "spices" in tasting notes, I take that to mean cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, et al. There are a few who will make sub-distinctions like "white pepper" to describe the kind of peppery taste. But, in general, if somebody claims that a cigar starts with a blast of spice - or something akin to that -- I would assume it's the hot version they are describing and not the more subtle baking spices cited above.
    Totally agree.... I just had an Arganese cigar on Saturday that had that spicy 'bite' to it as opposed to 'spices in the taste' (like cinnamon & 12-year old Tahitian vanilla). Not sure I partciularly liked the cigar but fortunately the 'bite' mellowed out a little.

I agree, I think of pepper when I think of a spicey cigar. I think for other spices, reviewers are more likely to call the individual tastes out, like "hint of cinnamon and vanilla" or something like that, rather than a blanket "spicey" description.

when i read "spicy" in a review for a cigar i immediately think of pepper.
    -- Andrew --

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Glacierman's Avatar

I all a spade a spade. "Spice/spicey" are too vague, so I will say "pepper" or "cinnamon," etc. No confusion that way.
    I don't have a signature, because the new BB software doesn't like my old one. That sucks.

the fiend Davy Jones mrreindeer's Avatar

And sometimes, spicy for me means:

I felt the Rocky Patel Sun Grown has some spicyness to it

What would Skeeter do? kansashat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glacierman View Post
    I all a spade a spade. "Spice/spicey" are too vague, so I will say "pepper" or "cinnamon," etc. No confusion that way.
    I agree with this. I've learned to clarify what I mean when I say a cigar has a spice tone, because spice to me is anything that comes out of the spice cabinet...hot, peppery flavors are included in this, but not exclusively by any stretch of the imagination.
    The views & opinions expressed by kansashat are not necessarily the views & opinions of Club Stogie, or it's associates. Iamstillveryfondofbananacreampie.

Dom

Yeah spicy has the connotation of heat but it seems like when a cigar has spice it's more like just a little extra pop on the tongue.

Maturing Puffer Fish Zarathustra19's Avatar

It depends. My first thought on reading this thread was of a Hoya de Monterey that I had yesterday which left the feeling in the back of my throat that I'd just had a spicy meal, so peppery. However, sometimes when I'm smoking and I think "this is spicy" I'm thinking along the lines of the spices you mentioned.

Interesting question
    Cheers!

Anytime I read spicy in a review I think peppery, the only time I think they mean anything different is if they say so.

Have Played For Cigars Blindjimme's Avatar

My first thought for spicy is always peppery, also. If another spice is
    noted, it is usually mentiond.

JB

Puffer Fish with some spikes smakudwn's Avatar

Always thought of "spicy" as a "black" peppery bite to the tounge. Esp on the tip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast