Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nicotine in your blood or Urine???

This is a discussion on Nicotine in your blood or Urine??? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I'm sorry I know this was discussed before but we rectently had this conversation at the place I smoke. Two ...

Nicotine in your blood or Urine???

I'm sorry I know this was discussed before but we rectently had this conversation at the place I smoke. Two guys where arguing that it takes at least a month and the other said a few days with drinking alot of water. I said Ill ask here.
    Did anyone here need to get clean for a blood or urine test? how long did you wait and how where the results???

the fiend Davy Jones mrreindeer's Avatar

Re: Nicotine in your blood or Urine???

I have also heard a month to get out of your system...this from our IVF doc who said it wasn't really an issue but that I would have had to stop smoking cigars a month prior to sperm donation to have it completely out.....knowing too late, I stopped about 2 weeks prior....Doc told us it wasn't anything to be concerned about.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Are you concerned for having nicotine in your blood or urine sample for work screening?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Are you concerned for having nicotine in your blood or urine sample for work screening?
    I'd bet it's for insurance...

I think they where discussing life insurence, I think one of the guys is a life insurence agaent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

I have a friend that stopped smoking cigars for a week and drank a lot of water and he passed....
    HOLLAR if you smell my smoke!

Young Puffer Fish

Life insurance companies don't test for nicotine in urine or blood. They test for a byproduct called cotinine. The amount of time that nicotine is present in blood and urine is very short (short half life). The half life for cotinine is much longer and is detectable for at least a week after your last cigar.

So, I'd give it a good 7-10 days. I do not believe it requires an entire month to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by txraddoc View Post
    Life insurance companies don't test for nicotine in urine or blood. They test for a byproduct called cotinine. The amount of time that nicotine is present in blood and urine is very short (short half life). The half life for cotinine is much longer and is detectable for at least a week after your last cigar.

So, I'd give it a good 7-10 days. I do not believe it requires an entire month to clear.
    Yes, nicotine should be completely out of a person's system in 72 hours. It's those nasty byproducts that get you. It's much like screening for most other drugs; they screen for metabolytes rather than the drugs themselves.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Keep in mind though, that if you don't fess up to smoking cigars in your insurance application and it is determined that you smoke cigars when a claim is made, that could be grounds to void your policy. You would pay cheaper premiums, but you wouldn't actually get anything for those premiums when a claim is made. Just something to keep in mind.\

Edit: I just realized it was two other guys talking not you.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    Keep in mind though, that if you don't fess up to smoking cigars in your insurance application and it is determined that you smoke cigars when a claim is made, that could be grounds to void your policy. You would pay cheaper premiums, but you wouldn't actually get anything for those premiums when a claim is made. Just something to keep in mind.\

I believe this cause in the policy is good only for the first two years. Its called the contestability clause if I remember correctly. But I agree. It is best to be completely honest with the insurance company.

SCUBA Chimp

The cotinine can only be detected in your blood for about 2 days, but that doesn't mean that your blood is clean. Your kidneys pull trace amounts of cotinine from your blood and sends it to your urine. That basically concentrates the cotinine from your entire body into your urine. Since your urine contains concentrated levels of cotinine, it can be detected for about a week longer than in blood.

If you're worried about concentrations of ANYTHING in your urine, then you should dilute your urine. Start at least 4 hours in advance. Don't eat or exercise to prevent new metabolites from being released. Drink a constant intake of WATER until you pee clear. Then take a Vit B Complex to add color back to your urine. When the color returns, you're good to go. Keep drinking water until your test, and go to the bathroom regularly to keep toxins from building up.

In theory, if you double the water content of your urine, then you just cut your detectable levels in half. If you drink water until you pee clear, then your urine will virtually be pure water. Of course, they CAN test for a watered down sample, as other trace chemicals will also be diluted. Ususally not a problem unless you're taking a court ordered test, or trying to get a high dollar policy. If nothing else, you can just say you drank a big Gulp earlier that day, and schedule a new appointment few days later to buy more time.

He could also buy clean synthetic urine that comes with a heating pack and passes all tests. It's very expensive and may not be legal in your state.

Like others have stated. The insurance company may require an autopsy before payment of death benefits. If you mis-represent your status as non-tobacco, then they can reduce benefits if they find it in your tox-screen.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RicoPuro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by txraddoc View Post

That's about right. My financial planner adviced no cigars for 7-10 days prior to the insurance physical/blood draw.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Yeah I got my policies all se up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

Into the Wild Blue Yonder Frinkiac7's Avatar

This is life insurance or regular health insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    He could also buy clean synthetic urine that comes with a heating pack and passes all tests. It's very expensive and may not be legal in your state.
    That's crazy! And wow...Eric, sounds like you've done a ton of research on this topic! ....and I appreciate the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Frinkiac7 View Post
    This is life insurance or regular health insurance?
    Life insurance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast