Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Neighbors complaining about smoke...

This is a discussion on Neighbors complaining about smoke... within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; We had nicer weather this weekend, so I made some time on the porch both Saturday and Sunday in order ...

Neighbors complaining about smoke...

We had nicer weather this weekend, so I made some time on the porch both Saturday and Sunday in order to enjoy some cigars. On both days, different neighbors complained about the smell. On both occasions, the women came out onto their porches, looked over at me and made some comment about how stinky it was. I don't want to be a bad neighbor, but shouldn't I be allowed to enjoy a cigar on my own porch without complaint? Between anti-smoking laws, SCHIP taxes, and the demonization of smoking in the media, are we all doomed to be ostracized? I bet a generation ago, even if people didn't like the smell, they wouldn't have thought to complain, let alone demonstrate some sort of piousness over their own non-smoking. Brothers unite!

Re: Neighbors complaining about smoke...

Its tough, I live in a neighborhood where the houses are very close together. I'm lucky as I have a cigar smoker on one side and a butt hacker on the other side.
    I am going single soon a nice way to say I'm going through a divorce and I was going to buy a town house, but after thinking about my cigars, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy another house.
    If you are in an apartment or condo or town house, you could expect to get the comments.
    We no longer have rights, good luck on your issue.
    Vinnie

wow that really sucks. im not sure that i would be able to bite my tung on that one.i always try to be considerate to others.but thats your home to and as much as i like the smell of B.B.Q. I bet if they wanted to B.B.Q. they would not care if it bothered you.
    its all fun and games till some body gets hurt

Are these row houses or standalones? Seems strange that they would get as much smell so as to complain. Did they have their windows open?

To not be able to smoke on your own porch is just wrong.

You should say, "While the smell of my cigar wafting onto your property may be of annoyance to you and cause you the trouble of closing a few front windows, the sounds coming from your mouth onto my property are of equal annoyance, and are ruining my enjoyment of this fine cigar and sunny afternoon."
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by docruger View Post
    wow that really sucks. im not sure that i would be able to bite my tung on that one.i always try to be considerate to others.but thats your home to and as much as i like the smell of B.B.Q. I bet if they wanted to B.B.Q. they would not care if it bothered you.
    Exactly.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RicoPuro's Avatar

OK, so this is what it boils down to:

If you are doing this within the confines of your property line and it is not violating city ordinances, you are OK. There is nothing you can do about what they think about your cigar smoking habit and they have the right to issue an opinion.

Jorge
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Leading Puffer Fish

Sadly, the state of freedom in this country has devolved into, "I'll do whatever I want, which includes deciding what you can or can't do."
    "That's destruction at its finest!" - R. Lee Ermey

Who you calling clown??? Coop D's Avatar

I live in a townhome that has ranch and 2 floor units. I smoke on my ranch patio (in the corner lot) all the time. The smoke goes up and circles around 16 units since it is a big courtyard. So on a good day I may be able to stink up the whole lot!!!

Not sure what you are smoking, but I have yet to have anyone look at me or complain. Maybe becuase all the neighbors think I am crazy???

Not sure, but since you are outside, not a damn thing they can do about it. You may not get a Christmas card, but oh well
    When the river runs red, take the dirt road!!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FN in MT's Avatar

I could NOT even imagine having to take shit from a neighbor like that on my own property!! I feel sorry for You.

FN in MT

I bet they had their windows open and some smoke blew into the house. Oh well they will learn to just close the windows facing your house when you go outside on your porch to enjoy a cigar. I just hope it doesn't become a feud with them, but you have ever right to smoke it on your porch, yard, etc..

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix^3 View Post
    We had nicer weather this weekend, so I made some time on the porch both Saturday and Sunday in order to enjoy some cigars. On both days, different neighbors complained about the smell. On both occasions, the women came out onto their porches, looked over at me and made some comment about how stinky it was. I don't want to be a bad neighbor, but shouldn't I be allowed to enjoy a cigar on my own porch without complaint? Between anti-smoking laws, SCHIP taxes, and the demonization of smoking in the media, are we all doomed to be ostracized? I bet a generation ago, even if people didn't like the smell, they wouldn't have thought to complain, let alone demonstrate some sort of piousness over their own non-smoking. Brothers unite!

that pisses me off so much, that's like walking into your neighbor's house and saying "Dont make meatloaf for dinner i dont like how it tastes"

I mean it's absolutely inconceiveable to me that someone would think it's ok to tell you what to do on your OWN PORCH.

A. You're an adult who can do whatever the hell you want.
    B. You're on your own property.
    C. Smoking cigars is 100% legal i mean it's not like you're sitting there shooting Heroine or blowing off firecrackers.

The bottom line is, neither of these neighbors have any right what so ever to tell you what to do, so if i was you i'd just sit there and either ignore them or give them a simple flip of the bird and keep on enjoying my cigar... what are they gonna do?? Call the Cops?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Rudder's Avatar

Renter= Must live in harmony with neighbors
    Owner=Do whatever you like within laws.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader karmaz00's Avatar

thats sucks, i would think thats its your porch..do what ever you want...

No longer a community member. Nickerson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Are these row houses or standalones? Seems strange that they would get as much smell so as to complain. Did they have their windows open?

To not be able to smoke on your own porch is just wrong.

You should say, "While the smell of my cigar wafting onto your property may be of annoyance to you and cause you the trouble of closing a few front windows, the sounds coming from your mouth onto my property are of equal annoyance, and are ruining my enjoyment of this fine cigar and sunny afternoon."
    Was wondering the same thing. Sounds like almost apartments or condos.

I would tell them to F#$%-Off! Stop poking your head over here or you will call the police! lol! I smoke in my back yard porch and when the neighbors are outside and I start smoking they get quiet. Guess what, I just crank the tunes up and keep on herfing! I care less what they think or say!
    "Love is like a cigar. If It goes out you can light it again, but it never tastes quite the same."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast