Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Keep plastic wrapper on cigar or take off?

This is a discussion on Keep plastic wrapper on cigar or take off? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Dear Lord!! I would say that answers the question! That is a beautiful site my friend! I would love to ...

Re: Keep plastic wrapper on cigar or take off?

Dear Lord!! I would say that answers the question!

That is a beautiful site my friend! I would love to have to take the trash out if it resulted from me taking that many wrappers off that many cigars! Mine would be more like a cigar box full

I see what you're doing!! Architeuthis's Avatar

The Cello Issue:

NEVER EVER EVER REMOVE THE CELLO!!!!! When I have full boxes in the Storage Squid-A-Dor®, I leave them however they arrived from the vendor.But, when a box gets opened to be moved to the loose stick Squid-A-Dor, even sticks which originally had no cello get it added! Believe me, with around 1100 loose singles Squid® wants the protection for the wrappers. And further more, you might eventually want to be able to identify sticks by vendor, age or whatever. Adding a label to the cigars allows you (as well as anybody you give one to) to be able to determine such information at a glance, instead of simply guessing. (And you'd be silly to attach the label to a naked cigar!) .

As Squid® has seen this thread crop up in a dozen different incarnations, I DEMAND that y'all consider this the FINAL WORD ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!! <G>

Squid® Has Spoken...

I see what you're doing!! Architeuthis's Avatar

I cant find the canned reply that says ALWAYS remove the cello, so y'all just have to believe me that I have one somewhere!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS OFF!!!! Whats that SAM said, Creator of NUB, and all my local B&M's, and everyone I know, and from my long life experience!!! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS OFF!!!
    "Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly"

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

no glove.

no love.

I am my brothers keeper! slyder's Avatar

Half the crap that cigars come wrapped in now days is not cellophane.....its junk plastic. Go have it analyzed. I cant believe the difference it made taking it OFF of every single cigar i own. They are all a steady 65% now instead of being dry when you remove the cello to smoke. Even tho my humi was always 65% my gars were DRY! So im a firm believer in removing. Try and watch the RH go nuts in your humis for a few days.
    I am my brothers keeper.

Puffer Fish with some spikes wrapper23's Avatar

always left them on. I'm going to try taking them off.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    Half the crap that cigars come wrapped in now days is not cellophane.....its junk plastic. Go have it analyzed. I cant believe the difference it made taking it OFF of every single cigar i own. They are all a steady 65% now instead of being dry when you remove the cello to smoke. Even tho my humi was always 65% my gars were DRY! So im a firm believer in removing. Try and watch the RH go nuts in your humis for a few days.
    Exactly they dry out, and then you get em from your local B&M take cello of one, and leave cello on other and smoke them both after two months, and then decide for your self too keep it or take it off! and like slyder said it's just a junk plastic made for B&M's cause everyone like to touch em and etc, I don't think you can damage a wrapper while it's in your humidor except your throwing it around?
    Plus they all will become more oily, start growing plume, and humidity will stabilize mine is sitting at 65% too with distilated water!
    "Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly"

Young Puffer Fish

I definitely take them off when I get them. The only exception would be when I know I'm going somewhere soon and I want to take my recent buys with me. Then I leave them on for a bit more protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Acesfull View Post
    Does this answer your question...

Looks like that picture was taken after a cigar orgy

As for me, I keep them on. The main reason is for protection of the wrapper. I am also trusting the fact that the cello is breathable and will allow for proper aging. In all honesty, I don't think there is a 'right' answer for this aged old question. Whatever you feel is best will work

AGANORSA Aficionado Hemingway in Havana's Avatar

My personal experiences have led me to conclude that the cello/plastic must be removed. The cigars will then properly acclimate to your humidor & humidity preference. They seem to me to be a little bit dry when first removed from the cello/plastic. Once removed, I find that they will shortly thereafter start glistening again with their natural oils. I greatly look forward to the heavenly smell when I open a humidor to gaze at my naked beauties! I didn't really get that smell before when I kept them in the cello/plastic. Empty cigar tubes are very handy when you need to transport a few. To each their own...
    Enjoy this hobby (obsession?) in the way that you see fit!
    Berle:"You're smoking one of those Lawrence Welk cigars." Burns:"What's a Lawrence Welk cigar?" Berle: "A piece of sh!t with a band around it!"

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

If the come w/one on... It stays on.

If it dosen't... It won't.

I think of cello as a Trojan for my sticks... It's protection!!! A cigar condom!!!

Young Fish

The fact remains that it's irrelevant, the cello is microporous, meaning it breathes just fine. I can't recall where I read it but this explanation was perfect, but it more or less said "think about it, whether the cello is on or not, if you set the cigar out on the table for a week it'll be ruined, there is plenty of airflow to the cigar whether the cello is on or off." It doesn't matter. period.

Puffer Fish with some spikes QWKDTSN's Avatar

I've been taking mine off because I get no pleasure in looking at or touching a plastic-wrapped stick. It just doesn't seem real until you've got the plastic off and it's sitting naked in the humi. Plus the humi smells sooooooo good full of bare cigars.

When I buy a cigar from a B&M I take off the plastic right away and put it in my travel humi. Just don't like having that plastic on there at all!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast