Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New house, smoking room?

This is a discussion on New house, smoking room? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; So, my wife and I just bought our first house. I've been "given" the entire basement to turn into my ...

Full grown Puffer Fish shunoshi's Avatar

New house, smoking room?

So, my wife and I just bought our first house. I've been "given" the entire basement to turn into my man cave. This includes a small bedroom which I'd like to turn into a smoking lounge. I'm looking for suggestions on what the best ways to remove smoke and neutralize odor would be. The room does have two windows and I'm considering installing an exhaust fan. I've also though about incense and air purifiers.

My main concern is that the smoke and odors remain in that room and don't permeate the house.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Re: New house, smoking room?

Is it currently finished? If not vapor barrier under the sheetrock, think about Tyvek housewrap installed with the exterior surface facing the smoky side. A couple ultra quiet squirrel cage exhaust fans in the ceiling with the switch in reach of your chair, and a exterior grade french door will keep you out of trouble. Keeping the smell out of the lounge room itself is another problem I just ignore.

try to stay away from carpet and fabrics in general. they tend to retain the smoke and stain. depending on how many people you plan to have most likely simple window fans will be enough. there are other variables of course.

ionizers do work but you shouldn't be in the area when they are on. i'd pass on the incense but a decent candle does wonders as will ozium spray. again not a good idea to breathe it in.

a door to help block air from going upstairs is also a good idea and one to block off air getting sucked in to your heat/AC.

Smoke Rises just about covered the basics of smell, carpet is definitely not a good idea like he said, it will hold the smell in forever.
    Maduro all the way!I love coffee!
    Nubs all the way!

Another thing about good exhuast fans is it produces a negative pressure area inside the room which draws clean air in through all existing leaks and will keep the seepage down if you let them run a bit after the air has cleared, and an exterior french door will be sealed but can usually be converted back close to an interior style for resale.

I don't know anything about cigars but I've been a married carpenter for 12 years now so I have built some pretty secure man caves.

As it turns out, the entire basement is finished...including carpeting. I've been thinking about this for awhile now and I do agree, the carpet has to go in that room if I want it to be a smoke lounge. I do like the exterior door idea as well. Weather sealing would keep smoke from seeping.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. If anyone has any particular brands of window exhaust fans that are tried and true, please let me know. Otherwise, keep the suggestions coming. I don't think I'll have the income to convert this room right away, but it'll be a work in progress (and I want to do it right).

I'll be relegated to the garage for this winter.

Smoke eater candles do wonders if you get the right ones, this is one is phenomenal

Smoke Odor Exterminator Jar Candle Apple & Cinnamon - smejac

The CI candles arent anywhere near as good, I have 4 of them and all of them lit at once dont work as well as the one I have posted above. My room has a skylight and my chair is right beneath it so I just crack it open and light the candle and Im good to go.

Definetly remove the carpet, I have hardwood floors and all leather furnture. You dont want anything in the room thats going to soak up the odor. But if you do end up getting a good ventialtion system going you have very little to worry about. You could probably get away with having carpet and non-leather furniture. A local bar has a smoking room with carpet and club style non leather chairs(not sure of the fabric, almost seems like felt) and there is no odor retention at all. The smoke comes out and swirls right up to the vent, it does it so fast you can watch the smoke get sucked out of the room.

Being the room is finished already the vapor barrier is out but a good oil based paint may help, I'll ask my painter tomorrow if that's worth the trouble. If you have vinyl siding a ceiling exhaust is still an option that will out perform a window unit. You'll need to remove some siding and drill some holes large enough to see down the joist spacing to check for obstructions and then once you find a good spot you can run the duct from the outside into the room and wire it up from that same access point. I like ceramic tile or some sort of stone flooring in a basement just in case a water leak or sewer back up, laminate floor will be destroyed after a single soaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread View Post
    Smoke eater candles do wonders if you get the right ones, this is one is phenomenal

Smoke Odor Exterminator Jar Candle Apple & Cinnamon - smejac
    Ah, nice, I'll look into those. I like candles.

Quote Originally Posted by JKing View Post
    Being the room is finished already the vapor barrier is out but a good oil based paint may help, I'll ask my painter tomorrow if that's worth the trouble. If you have vinyl siding a ceiling exhaust is still an option that will out perform a window unit. You'll need to remove some siding and drill some holes large enough to see down the joist spacing to check for obstructions and then once you find a good spot you can run the duct from the outside into the room and wire it up from that same access point. I like ceramic tile or some sort of stone flooring in a basement just in case a water leak or sewer back up, laminate floor will be destroyed after a single soaking.
    I'll probably stick with a good window unit since I'm not much of a carpenter. Doing a ceiling installed exhaust unit in a basement room is fairly daunting to me. The room is also very small and I don't imagine having more than 2-3 smokers at any given time in it (there won't be enough seating). More times than not, it'll just be me.

As for the floors, I'll probably pull the carpet and install hardwood.

Welcome to Puff, by the way; thanks for dedicating all three of your posts so far to my little thread.

I only have one thing to say & this is VERY important.

Once the man cave is done, you have to invite me over for a cigar
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    I only have one thing to say & this is VERY important.

Once the man cave is done, you have to invite me over for a cigar
    This one I can guarantee.

Custom User Title Nitrosportman's Avatar

yes make sure you use semi gloss to paint the walls so they can be wiped down occasionally with baking soda and water mixture this helps tons!!!

Full grown Puffer Fish Jordan303's Avatar

For the floor you can use cork. I think they run about 5 bucks a square foot but it won't retain the smoke and is very easy to lay down and cut to size.

Quote Originally Posted by shunoshi View Post
    I'll be relegated to the garage for this winter.
    Welcome to the club my man!
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

I would put an exhaust fan in one window, and in the other window(if it is not near the source of smoke) another fan to blow in the fresh air from outdoors, maybe a ceiling fan to keep the smoke down so that the window fans will suck it out. And no carpet, fabric, etc. If you want to go all out, get a good air purifier and some of those candles. Maybe a small tree would also help clean the air, but thats probably a bit much. By the way,This is all untested by me, i just sit nextt to the window with a small fan, never a smell left behind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast