Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

long vs short filler whats the difference

This is a discussion on long vs short filler whats the difference within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Tried to search this but no luck unless I did something wrong. What is the difference between long/short filler cigars. ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes friz's Avatar

long vs short filler whats the difference

Tried to search this but no luck unless I did something wrong. What is the difference between long/short filler cigars. Thanks for the help

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

Re: long vs short filler whats the difference

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Tried to search this but no luck unless I did something wrong. What is the difference between long/short filler cigars. Thanks for the help
    Long Filler- Means that each piece of the filler is a single leaf that runs end to end of the cigar. Most premium handmades are made from this type of filler.

Short Filler- Are shorter pieces of tobacco, it is used in some handmade cigars like Drew Estate's La Vieja Habana. It is also what is used in most machine made drug store cigars.

Clear as mud????

Often, the short fill tobacco comes from the cuttings of the long fillers during rolling. That's how they claim to have the "same tobacco as so-and-so ultra premium".

Then, there are sandwich cigars. Made from a mixture of some long fill and some short fill.

If you're asking the difference in how they smoke...typically the LF's will be have a straiter burn, tighter ash, and a more consistent flavor. Also, SF's tend to release little bits of tobacco onto your tongue and lips. Sandwich gars, give the best of both worlds...lower price than LF and better construction than SF.

We make a living by what we get; We make a life by what we give.

nub

Quote Originally Posted by teedles915 View Post
    Long Filler- Means that each piece of the filler is a single leaf that runs end to end of the cigar. Most premium handmades are made from this type of filler.

Short Filler- Are shorter pieces of tobacco, it is used in some handmade cigars like Drew Estate's La Vieja Habana. It is also what is used in most machine made drug store cigars.

Clear as mud????
    Yep. Short filler is basically comprised of remnants and tobacco scraps. It will burn faster and is generally considered low-grade.

Puffer Fish with some spikes friz's Avatar

Thanks for the help that is an easy explanation

Puffer Fish with some spikes SureShot81's Avatar

Also, when using short-filler tobacco, I imagine that the variations in a blend would be greater which would effect the taste as previously stated. It is a lot easier to blend when you're dealing with whole leafs instead of little pieces here and there and trying to make a consistent cigar.

I have had a few nice SF cigars too so don't totally put them to the side. The LvH is my go-to and is a good smoke at a decent price too.

Not to thread jack, but in a similar vein, what exactly is medium filler? Is this just what people refer to when there is a mix of long and short filler in a cigar?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb13 View Post
    Often, the short fill tobacco comes from the cuttings of the long fillers during rolling. That's how they claim to have the "same tobacco as so-and-so ultra premium".

Then, there are sandwich cigars. Made from a mixture of some long fill and some short fill.
    A good example is the Tatuaje P Series. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's made from the scraps of the Havana VI. It is rumored to have both "medium" & "long" filler.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    A good example is the Tatuaje P Series. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's made from the scraps of the Havana VI. It is rumored to have both "medium" & "long" filler.
    The P Series is 60% medium, and 40% long. What the hell does medium filler mean?
    Vitolas - Tatuaje/Series P

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot81 View Post
    The P Series is 60% medium, and 40% long. What the hell does medium filler mean?
    Vitolas - Tatuaje/Series P
    Not sure about this one...my guess is that it is from leaves that were possibly too short or mis-shapen to be considered LF? Either that or it is the "longer" cuttings from the rolling process. If you watch someone roll, you'll see that sometimes they cut off pretty big chunks of the leaf...maybe those are the medium fills.

We make a living by what we get; We make a life by what we give.

Just what the site says.

Wow, this was really informative! I was curious about the same thing...
    We can't stop here! It's Bat Country!

if you like Arturo Fuente you can smoke bits and pieces of AF's in one of these the Curly Head and the Curly Head Deluxe. Tabacalera A. Fuente sell the left over bits and pieces to the company J.C. Newman in Tampa. one of the last cigar makers in Tampa Fl.
    a friend of mine told me stories of these big cigar manufacturer promotions in Tampa where they would give out a ton of cigars. no idea how good they were as he doesn't smoke premiums
    ~ [___SmokeRises___}}}} ~~~ Resting Smoke

Elder Puffer Fish Leader jeepthing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Rises View Post
    if you like Arturo Fuente you can smoke bits and pieces of AF's in one of these the Curly Head and the Curly Head Deluxe. Tabacalera A. Fuente sell the left over bits and pieces to the company J.C. Newman in Tampa. one of the last cigar makers in Tampa Fl.
    a friend of mine told me stories of these big cigar manufacturer promotions in Tampa where they would give out a ton of cigars. no idea how good they were as he doesn't smoke premiums
    I keep a few of the deluxe maduros around, good smoke for less then 3 bucks a stick. Yep they are made from leftovers from AF
    Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast